Rattling noise from steering wheel (2016 CX-9)

Grizguy

:
Mazda CX-9 GT AWD (2106)
Hi, gang!
Bought my '16 CX-9 GTAWD in June of '16. Like the car a lot. One of two things bugging me. A few months after buying it, a faint rattling or plasticky buzz emanated from the steering wheel. I'm sure it's two plastic parts, which rub together when going at certain speeds or slightly bumpy pavement. I can make the sound stop by placing a hand on the center cap of the steering wheel, or by gently lifting the cap from behind w one finger. I've had it to two different dealers. One said they couldn't figure out a fix. The second put some foam in there somewhere (naturally the tech notes on my bill aren't well written and the guy at the service desk doesn't know more than the note says, nor will they connect me w the tech. I'm sure they think I'm nuts). Anyone else have this issue? It's driving me crazy hearing it in this cabin that is otherwise SOOOOO nice and quiet.
Thanks for any insights, solutions or suggestions!

Hi, gang!
Bought my '16 CX-9 GTAWD in June of '16. Like the car a lot. One of two things bugging me. A few months after buying it, a faint rattling or plasticky buzz emanated from the steering wheel. I'm sure it's two plastic parts, which rub together when going at certain speeds or slightly bumpy pavement. I can make the sound stop by placing a hand on the center cap of the steering wheel, or by gently lifting the cap from behind w one finger. I've had it to two different dealers. One said they couldn't figure out a fix. The second put some foam in there somewhere (naturally the tech notes on my bill aren't well written and the guy at the service desk doesn't know more than the note says, nor will they connect me w the tech. I'm sure they think I'm nuts). Anyone else have this issue? It's driving me crazy hearing it in this cabin that is otherwise SOOOOO nice and quiet.
Thanks for any insights, solutions or suggestions!

No rattling on the steering wheel column area but i have some rattles on the passenger side near A or B pillar which I couldn't really pinpoint...havent taken it to dealer yet as my appointment for service is still 2 months away

Following this up years later..lol
The issue was finally determined to be a wonky spring in the steering wheel related to the airbag… or so they said. I didn’t see it. But they fixed it under warranty at the time.
Also had an issue with a loud clattering noise in the area of front brakes. Dealer replaced the brakes twice under warranty and the noise was still there. Some guy in the shop said that some parts had not been properly lubricated. I haven’t heard the clatter since.
There’s a buzzing loose plastic sound coming from the dash. I can’t isolate that one.

Back