Safe to replace one leaky tire at 3k?

starburst

:
CX-5 2015 Touring AWD
I have a 2015 AWD Touring CX-5. It has a set of tires with 3,000 miles on them. One tire has a slow leak. I'm hoping they can patch it. If not, is it safe to just replace that tire, or do I need a whole new set? Hoping its the former, but if not, such is life.

Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

Addendum.

This is kind of a rural area and they may have to order a replacement tire. My doughnut spare has about 35 miles on it. My old tires had 20k on them and had to be replaced after running over a little piece of metal that came off of a tractor, in the middle of a rainstorm. So I may have to be using the doughnut if the tire can't be patched. Is that safe? My dad is 90 and I'm going back and forth to his place all weekend helping him with some medical stuff. Otherwise, I would just stay put.

Last edited:
I would make sure it is the same tire brand and type too. Different brands and different types will drive differently.

A good tire shop should be able to smooth down the tread on the new tire to match the other three if the wear isn't too bad. If it is replace all four. It probably would be time anyway.

In your case you got lucky. A lot of shops don't want to repair anymore, just replace. Probably liability concerns.

Thanks, both of you. It turned out to be a screw and they were able to patch and plug.

Was the patch applied to the inside of the tire or was it simply plugged without removing the tire from the wheel? An inside patch is infinitely better than a simple plug. But if done right a plug, in most cases, will work out fine.

Was the patch applied to the inside of the tire or was it simply plugged without removing the tire from the wheel? An inside patch is infinitely better than a simple plug. But if done right a plug, in most cases, will work out fine.

It was an inside patch and a plug. They removed the tire.

Back