Thoughts on 16 vs 17

We echo your observations. We drove a 16.5 GT and a 17 GS (here in Canada) back to back to back to back to really judge the difference for ourselves. I never actually drove so as not to waste time - my wife did as it was to be her car if we were to choose one.

The 16.5 very much reminded me of my Mazda 3 in the way it felt on the road. I didn't mind it at all, but my wife instantly preferred the noticeably smoother and quieter ride of the '17 to the point where the '16.5 was out of consideration.

As a passenger, and knowing my Mazda 3 (both past and present) I was a little surprised how significant the difference was between the '16.5 and the '17. All those little tweaks and changes really did add up to a more pleasant ride for those who aren't pure handling buffs while at the same time not loosing that zoom zoom. I had never seen my wife brake late into a corner or accelerate quickly out of one until the second drive of the '17. That smile on her face was priceless - again not something I'd seen her have while driving since her first car (A '00 Subaru 2.5RS).

Neither of us preferred the exterior styling of one of the other. We would've been perfectly happy with either. Even though relatively close in styling language the look like they have different personalities and the last gen is still a good looking car to both of us.

However, the interior is another story. We completely agree that the interior is a step up over the last gen. The taller dash in the older car felt like it was more in your face where the new interior, although roughly the same physical size, definitely felt better appointed and more open to us.

When combining my wife's preference of the ride in the '17 with our combined preference of the interior and quieter ride it was the sure winner for us.

Now if it were me buying for myself, I'd be perfectly happy waiting for a little better incentive on the clearout 16's and jumping into a GT instead of the GS we got in the '17... but alas I already have my new 3 and it's a perfect companion for me.

We get to pick up the new CX in exactly 1.5hrs :). I couldn't sleep I'm so excited to get rid of our previous car LMAO. Been up for hrs already waiting like it's Christmas.
Nice review. Thank you [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nice review. I haven't driven the '17 yet, but coming out of a 14 & a '16, I can say they are loud at autobahn speeds (sustained speeds of 100mph).

As far as halogens, incandescent lights need to be phased out. They are inferior to HID and LED lights.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Nice review. I haven't driven the '17 yet, but coming out of a 14 & a '16, I can say they are loud at autobahn speeds (sustained speeds of 100mph).

As far as halogens, incandescent lights need to be phased out. They are inferior to HID and LED lights.

Mazda are saying noise levels travelling at 62mph is now the same as travelling at 50mph. So at even higher speeds, should be quieter than 1st generation

At 100mph? I wouldn't have ever bought this thing if I thought I would sustain 100mph speeds. It's ABSURD!

At 100mph? I wouldn't have ever bought this thing if I thought I would sustain 100mph speeds. It's ABSURD!

It'll do it but on the edge of starting to push the limits

The engine isn't screaming., it's the wind noise. The vehicle is stable. TBF though, Autobahns are built for higher speeds, I wouldn't drive 130mph on I-25 or I-66 in my M4.

The engine isn't screaming., it's the wind noise. The vehicle is stable. TBF though, Autobahns are built for higher speeds, I wouldn't drive 130mph on I-25 in my M4.

Fair enough.

Just read the German CX-5 brochure. You get Matrix LED's, not to mention i-Eloop as well

Fair enough.

Just read the German CX-5 brochure. You get Matrix LED's, not to mention i-Eloop as well

That would be great if I was driving a euro-spec, my 17 is on the way from the US.

I have a status in Germany that exempts me from German taxes, **I drive US spec vehicles** and refuel on US military installations tax free. (I should probably put this in my signature.)

That would be great if I was driving a euro-spec, my 17 is on the way from the US.

I have a status in Germany that exempts me from German taxes and **I drive US spec vehicles**. (I should probably put this in my signature.)

Oh well re USA CX-5 and lucky you re German tax exemptions!

The engine isn't screaming., it's the wind noise. The vehicle is stable. TBF though, Autobahns are built for higher speeds, I wouldn't drive 130mph on I-25 or I-66 in my M4.

Exactly. It's loud as s***, and not in a good or sexy way. Terrible touring car, great grocery-getter. I've thought about buying a Corvette just to save gas and have a more comfortable commute on longer drives. And because it's actually FUN!

So Mazda in Germany is fully understand that they have to provide everything they got to compete and sell their CX-5's, including the i-ELOOP which you guys down under don't even get it. I remember for 1st-gen CX-5, Mazda offered more powerful 189 hp (we gets 184 hp) SA-G 2.5L to Germans too. Makes me wonder how do Mazda North American Operations think about their US customers - always offer the least of features on CX-5 to us! (shrug)

The vehicle is quite stable, I drive it on the expressways here at 140kph, with occasional stretches of 160kph. And I don't notice any loud wind noise.... seems fine.

So Mazda in Germany is fully understand that they have to provide everything they got to compete and sell their CX-5's, including the i-ELOOP which you guys down under don't even get it. I remember for 1st-gen CX-5, Mazda offered more powerful 189 hp (we gets 184 hp) SA-G 2.5L to Germans too. Makes me wonder how do Mazda North American Operations think about their US customers - always offer the least of features on CX-5 to us! (shrug)

I think the respective HQs pick and choose the features based on what they (marketing boffins) believe will help. But no I-eloop standard everywhere?

They state that they want good fuel economy but the one feature that actually assists with it is not even included? Doesn't make sense at all (scratch)

After seeing 3 or 4 on the road- there is something odd about the look of 2017 : Its hard to put a finger on it, maybe its a face of giraffe on a hippo's body kind of feeling, the front grille looks nice but does not marry well with the rest of the body. Looking at the full vehicle - I just can't take that look in and say beautiful or handsome. Something's really wrong with the overall look. In this respect 16/16.5 does not disappoint -- design flows well. But the 17 has something so wrong it just looks like it was bitten by a bug, developed some infection and bloated up just like a hand would sometimes.

At this point due to the oddity of the overall look.
Really stale drive train - no difference.
LED DRL disappointment : I am out of 17 used or new. Interesting to see how 18 turns out. Weird - the car has been out a month and am already looking for MY 18.
This just confirms that - you can add so many features but for some people - if the overall look doesnt gel - they are not buying it. I would not want to walk up to this CUV every day. Would be hesitant to pull the trigger.

Yrwei - i would say search for that 16.5 like its a treasure. Source one from north if you can. good luck.

Last edited:
After seeing 3 or 4 on the road- there is something odd about the look of 2017 : Its hard to put a finger on it, maybe its a face of giraffe on a hippo's body kind of feeling, the front grille looks nice but does not marry well with the rest of the body. Looking at the full vehicle - I just can't take that look in and say beautiful or handsome. Something's really wrong with the overall look. In this respect 16/16.5 does not disappoint -- design flows well. But the 17 has something so wrong it just looks like it was bitten by a bug, developed some infection and bloated up just like a hand would sometimes.

Looking from side on the front (engine bay) does seem a bit longer. Could be the reason it doesn't look good to you (uhm)

They said they didn't want to change anything from the previous model as most people had no issues with it.

LED DRL disappointment : I am out of 17 used or new. Interesting to see how 18 turns out. Weird - the car has been out a month and am already looking for MY 18.
This just confirms that - you can add so many features but for some people - if the overall look doesnt gel - they are not buying it. I would not want to walk up to this CUV every day. Would be hesitant to pull the trigger.

Don't think there will be much if any changes for 2018 model since this has just been released

Yrwei - i would say search for that 16.5 like its a treasure. Source one from north if you can. good luck.

Been saying this the whole time. Glad to see you come around and notice it isn't just "money" that stops folks from buying the 17, it's the looks, as in like stated, will never look good to the buyer then why buy it. Rock on 16.5...

The vehicle is quite stable, I drive it on the expressways here at 140kph, with occasional stretches of 160kph. And I don't notice any loud wind noise.... seems fine.

It's LOUD AF! man. yes, I agree it is VERY stable, and I'm pleased with that, but my GOD the wind noise. You have to damn near yell, and the radio gets WAY turned up to hear, etc. Loudest car I've ever owned at 90, including my brick of a fox-body 5.0 GT

here is a video of me doing 90. That roaring you hear that sounds like a jet plane in flight? That's wind noise.

Here is a comparison video from the same phone (on the same night, actually...) doing 50ish for comparison:

Last edited:
One thing I like about Unobtanium, he is funny.

You do realize the Corvette gets better mileage, right? My 505hp Z06 got 26.5mpg doing 75mph with the radio and AC blasting. The previous generation C5's were commonly breaking the 30mpg barrier doing 80mph on road-trips. That's kindof what I was thinking. Grab a 2004 C5Z or something as they are cheap and pack a helluva punch!

Back