Investigating Aluminum Foot Pedals...

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I've been looking at these a bit and found a few on Amazon and eBay. The Amazon part had some install instructions.

INSTALLATION GUIDANCE:

1. Remove rubber brake pedal cover (pry off from door side first).
2. Install foot rest first by lining up, use 3/32 drill through pre-drilled holes (just drill through plastic and carpet, DO NOT DRILL TROUGH METAL).
3. Use screws to install (DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN).
4. Install gas pedal next by lining up pedal (be aware of where you will be drilling holes and should have enough room for nuts).
5. Drill into plastic with 9/64 drill bit (Note: Don't drill through the floor board).
6. Screw in 2 long bolts on top and use 6mm socket to tighten nut, and use 6mm wrench for final tightening (long bolts will not hinder gas pedal function, it is shorter than the plastic factory stopper).
7. Screw in 2 short bolts on bottom and repeat step 6 to tighten.
8. Install brake pedal last by lining up bottom and right side of aluminum pedal to the bottom and right side of the steel brake pedal.
9. Drill bottom hole first with 9/64 drill bit, remove pedal and use 5/32 to make the hole bigger and install bolt to hold pedal in place.
10. Drill left top hole next by using step 9.
11. Drill right top hole next but note that it is at an angle due to the shape of the steel pedal. Follow step 9.
12. Screw in 3 short bolts and follow step 6.

Package Includes:

1pc Fuel Pedal
1pc Brake Pedal
1pc Foot-rest Pedal
Screws and Nuts

No. 2: Foot rest. Yeah, don't drill through the floor pan. So, I went to look under carpet.

lGHg6Ifl.jpg

WTF? Styrofoam?? Really?
I'm thinking of removing this and building a form from aluminum.
Also, not thinking of doing these pedals at all now.
A seacrh shows this styrofoam to be on other models, and people have just screwed the foot rest plate through the carpet.
not liking that.

Link to pedals
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

That's good to know because I was looking at installing the factory set. This price is pretty amazing though, i'd be interested to see how they compare to the factory option.

I understand your concern. I just installed mine yesterday. The OEM deal pedal comes with a backing plate which has the screw holes. I don't know if its better or worst...screwing in foam or screwing in your carpet. Overall unless you're doing high performance driving in your CX5...(boom06) your dead pedal shouldn't go anywhere if the carpet is right in middle of your backing plate and your pedal.

Last edited:
I'm going to update this install with an aluminum plate and the pedals sourced from Amazon.
I may add this then to a 'How to' listing

I see these are $179.
just out of curiosity, what does Mazda charge for their set? (I assume it will be quite cringe worthy)

Back