Unicorn-ish

:
2017 SRC CX-5 GT + Premium
OK, so this past week I've been to two dealerships to get my trade-in appraised. I don't know why they even have those onlien appraisal tools, other than to collect an email address. Both places came back at $1k on trade-in (despite me not overselling the car's condition and the tool telling me $2,500 - $3,800), so that puts a kink in getting payments where I want them.

Also found out that parchment interiors are few and far between around here, on any cars, but especially on what I want: a SRC GT with Premium package, in FWD.

Closest one to Houston is down in the valley (think south Texas near Mexico), which is 400 miles away. If I wanted to change to AWD, they had one on the lot, but considering my trade-in is $2,000 lower than I expected, and AWD is an extra what... $1,300? No. Or if I wanted red with a black interior... nope.

So, looks like I have to wait. And wait. And hope production starts rolling out more red with parchment that a local dealership can eartag. Guy I spoke with yesterday even looked towards production projections, and didn't see anything until September, but it didn't have the Premium package.

Geez, Mazda. I can't believe I'm coming up with such an apparently "rare" set of attributes :/ More in parchment sounds like it would be gobbled up quickly. I hope they notice and adjust their production options :/

Sorry for your luck.

Upside: The longer you wait, the more you can accumulate to put down?

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Sorry for your luck.

Upside: The longer you wait, the more you can accumulate to put down?

Yes, that's my plan. I know what I want to keep my payments to, so it's easy to do the math and determine how much I need to finance. So far, nobody I've spoken to is budging from MSRP - and why should they? Cars are sold before they arrive.

Apparently FWD + SRC + Parchment GT + Premium = 1 car in the state of Texas. That's almost a unicorn (almost doesn't exist).

Pretty sure you can order one and get it in 5-7 weeks. Unicornish would be a 1970s working Range Rover or a well restored Studebaker.
You are either elevating CX-5s stature or diminishing the value of the word Unicorn. I'll let you decide.

Pretty sure you can order one and get it in 5-7 weeks. Unicornish would be a 1970s working Range Rover or a well restored Studebaker.
You are either elevating CX-5s stature or diminishing the value of the word Unicorn. I'll let you decide.

Nah, just using a colloquialism for something that apparently is rare. At least right now.

Yes, that's my plan. I know what I want to keep my payments to, so it's easy to do the math and determine how much I need to finance. So far, nobody I've spoken to is budging from MSRP - and why should they? Cars are sold before they arrive.

I would consider checking with dealerships whom have sold their new 2016 stock. Therefore they can really focus on selling their 17's. Example are 2 dealerships near me. One has 21 2016's in stock. The other was really aggressive this past weekend in selling their 16 stock. They have 8 left.

Perhaps July 4th weekend or after may be a good target date upon which some dealerships have sold all 16 stock.

Plus you said 'ish' so Ima give you a pass this time haha! Seeing a rwd orange msport x1 drifting around a corner? Certified unicorn..at least around here

I ended up cleaning up my previous car (2008 Jeep Compass) and putting ads on my local facebook and craigslist sales pages. I sold my car in a week for $1500 over what the dealer offered me in trade. Also, I had saved money for a while to raise the down payment. Try to sell locally, before settling on a low trade-in price. I also took the car to Carmax for their free estimate. They went over the Jeep and pronounced it in great shape, which helped me to sell it.

I can't help you with the unicorn problem, but I did find the 2016.5 Touring AWD in the deep crystal mica blue, parchment interior with Bose/moonroof, so I'm currently over the moon about my CX-5.

Good luck.

I ended up cleaning up my previous car (2008 Jeep Compass) and putting ads on my local facebook and craigslist sales pages. I sold my car in a week for $1500 over what the dealer offered me in trade. Also, I had saved money for a while to raise the down payment. Try to sell locally, before settling on a low trade-in price. I also took the car to Carmax for their free estimate. They went over the Jeep and pronounced it in great shape, which helped me to sell it.

I can't help you with the unicorn problem, but I did find the 2016.5 Touring AWD in the deep crystal mica blue, parchment interior with Bose/moonroof, so I'm currently over the moon about my CX-5.

Good luck.

Thanks :) I could probably get more with a private sale of the car. Just gotta be careful with the timing, because I can't be left without a vehicle while waiting for my CX-5 to show up. It's a balancing act, for sure.

Plus you said 'ish' so Ima give you a pass this time haha! Seeing a rwd orange msport x1 drifting around a corner? Certified unicorn..at least around here

LOL, yeah. My actual unicorn is an eternal blue with parchment. Why is that not even an option??

Welcome to buying a Japanese car. Took me months to get a 370Z that met my criteria, and I was searching nationally through NNA dealer database.

Welcome to buying a Japanese car. Took me months to get a 370Z that met my criteria, and I was searching nationally through NNA dealer database.

So this is kind of typical, eh? Wasn't an issue with the Tacoma... but then there are LOTS more of those around.

So this is kind of typical, eh? Wasn't an issue with the Tacoma... but then there are LOTS more of those around.

Depends on the company. With Nissan? yes. They do not allow orders. They build what they want, when they want, and you get what you get, so STFU, was pretty much what Nissan North America said when I didn't believe the dealer.

You just need to wait for production to catch up. I mean the car hasn't been on-sale for half a year even. The combo you want is in high demand in Texas because Soul Red and GT and FWD (AWD isn't really a necessity here and a lot of people get the FWD GT CX-5s). In the meantime, looks like you have a few more months to save up for your down payment.

The car you want is in stock here. Heck you could buy it, have it shipped, and still be over a $1k cheaper than what your dealers want. Not for everyone, but I'd do it (have several times, although prefer to drive em back...)

OK, so this past week I've been to two dealerships to get my trade-in appraised. I don't know why they even have those onlien appraisal tools, other than to collect an email address. Both places came back at $1k on trade-in (despite me not overselling the car's condition and the tool telling me $2,500 - $3,800), so that puts a kink in getting payments where I want them.

Over here, trade-ins always are less than selling the car privately, usually by several thousand dollars

Also found out that parchment interiors are few and far between around here, on any cars, but especially on what I want: a SRC GT with Premium package, in FWD.

Closest one to Houston is down in the valley (think south Texas near Mexico), which is 400 miles away. If I wanted to change to AWD, they had one on the lot, but considering my trade-in is $2,000 lower than I expected, and AWD is an extra what... $1,300? No. Or if I wanted red with a black interior... nope.

So, looks like I have to wait. And wait. And hope production starts rolling out more red with parchment that a local dealership can eartag. Guy I spoke with yesterday even looked towards production projections, and didn't see anything until September, but it didn't have the Premium package.

Geez, Mazda. I can't believe I'm coming up with such an apparently "rare" set of attributes :/ More in parchment sounds like it would be gobbled up quickly. I hope they notice and adjust their production options :/

Sorry to hear about your diffucutlies but at this early stage of the models life, there won't be much stock anywhere. They have to produce enough initial stock to cover all of their markets not just USA or Australia (sad2)

I had to buy from a dealer 100 miles away to get my soul red/parchment GT w/premium. They are rare here as well.

Back