New MSP owner

Ok so took the valve cover off, and still see oil puddle in the 3rd spark plug hole. Have to get power to my shop before i can get and use an impact. Want to break it down to the head and see if thats the problem. My issue with the knock is it happens only at a certain rpm, and doesnt stay all the time like other knocks ive heard. Could that just be spark plug knock, caused by the oil in the spark plug well?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Think i found a 626 motor just a few hrs away from me that i will transplant into the msp....now to get power to my shop, and buy an engine hoist and stand! Hoping to have this car up and running soon! Meanwhile my p5 is starting to die. Had to leave work early because of the right rear caliper crapped out. I loooove money, but not enough to danger myself or other people with defunct brakes.

Last edited:
Where in the world did u find a msp for 1k

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Very true. I just saw one posted down in South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area). Its on CL, guy is selling for cheap. Not sure why but he says it doesn't turn over. Who knows ehat the real problem with it is. It does seem to have some nice mods......

Got to take a few pics of it before i moved it into the garage, for the teardown. I also took a bunch of video of how the engine runs and such. Ill post links in a lil while.
a5f8d21e553df32ccab2bcb52114606c.jpg
9eb50665d6680f66d4d05af0eba1ca31.jpg
a122667104c55ed3292e067b949e885e.jpg
612288f04636f19b823ca4cefe9aa256.jpg
e5a63eaf1fc510aca1ac4faf9f96c671.jpg
8b02480c8a55304697b6d7e810157a82.jpg
a0bb9b21eb874198221163a0bbb07d47.jpg
466f603d19d80d481d9be9e6f065d1ab.jpg

Even with engine problems, you got yourself a good buy there. Car looks super clean all around..... I'd do a nice build with that good looking car.

Thanks all, thats why i figure id jump on it before anyone else realized how good of a deal it was.

Started the teardown process today,somehow stripped one of the strut bar nuts and cant get it off...arggg
f4834d3e60044e099eef1f87d6e9b4a9.jpg

Just for confirmation, this engine will work in my MSP right?
70724ebd211b0b77bde99b9151bb74cb.jpg
39972a681508131776ee704beafcbc79.jpg

2001 626 motor

Last edited:
Ty, i figured so, but didnt wanto accidentally buy a fp engine, or something.....im Polish....it coukd happen lol

Sent from my SM-N9300 using Tapatalk

626 all had the 2.0 FS, you will need to swap the Crank pulley and cam gears, and possibly the crank and cam sensors as well.

15psi = zoom zoom boom. Keep the new turbo below 7 or 8 psi and there's no need to build up the lower end. One thing I keep thinking about tho, is what kind of person puts an eBay turbo on an MSP and allows it to hit 15psi? I'd take a close look at the dif, tranny, etc, because the P.O of that car either abused it or was pretty damn ignorant.

Good find, though! Nice and clean and everyone love those spicy ones. You're gonna have a nice quick RARE car.

Nitpicking EDIT: 626s also came with a V6. I know because I have the oil filter for them in both my Mazdas. :).

Last edited:
Thanks hornsfan, i was wondering what needed to be swapped over...i guess it would be easier just to find a protege motor huh?
Natey, yea i was a lil concerned, but everything else drivetrain wise looks good so far. Even the trans shifts nice and smooth. I will keep an eye out though. I also noticed the moron just put water for coolant. Its actually sad that he blew 3rd cylinder rings, because the engine block itself is in awesome condition.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nitpicking EDIT: 626s also came with a V6. I know because I have the oil filter for them in both my Mazdas. :).

Well yeah, obviously you can get a KL 626, but he posted a 4 cylinder which is an FSDE.

Thanks hornsfan, i was wondering what needed to be swapped over...i guess it would be easier just to find a protege motor huh?
Natey, yea i was a lil concerned, but everything else drivetrain wise looks good so far. Even the trans shifts nice and smooth. I will keep an eye out though. I also noticed the moron just put water for coolant. Its actually sad that he blew 3rd cylinder rings, because the engine block itself is in awesome condition.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
You can use the 626 engine, it's basically the same thing. Swapping over the pulleys and sensors is easy. It's up to you, you can find low mileage JDM motors for pretty cheap. Those are tricky though because you don't want a high compression FSZE.

Ok, so the way things are going, it looks like for now, im going to take the motor out of my p5, and put it into the MSP. The p5 is getting dangerous to drive, and i have to keep working to achieve my debt free goal. So what do i need to do? Just make sure the windage tray is swapped over along with all of the turbo components? Anything else?

That's basically it. Swap the MBSP, oil feed, banjo bolt and water lines for the oil cooler, oil cooler stud, thermostat housing/hard water lines, and the turbo manifold/downpipe of course.

Well, on the motor thats in the MSP now, could i just replace the bearings if the crankshaft isnt scored?

If the crank journals and the rod journals as well as the journals and caps on the block are all smooth and not scored then you can probably get away with installing new bearings. I recently did that with my motor and it works fine. If they are scored you will have to get them machined down and get over sized bearings.

Thank you for the semi good news, now ill get up tomorrow and tear it down to there and give a good look see...just oil pan and windage tray?

Ok so started again on engine removal, just doing a lil bit at a time. Unfortunately my p5 has major brake system issues, and now need to replace caliper, hub, and rotor. Using my gfs cobalt to work for now

Back