Antenna range?

:
83 RX-7 Gsl, 2000 Mazda Protege LX, 2011 Mazda3 Sport i
Anyone know why my antenna can't receive stations I have near me? It sometimes comes in but is buzzy. Maybe just replace the antenna?

is the radio factory or aftermarket? have you checked to make sure the antenna is plugged all the way into the back of the radio? is the antenna factory or a little stubby one? has it always done this or is this something new that just recently started?

you can also go to www.radio-locator.com and enter your zip code. this will give you a lot of information on the local radio stations, wattage, antenna height, broadcast/reception range and strength, etc. a great resource when trying to diagnose FM reception problems. what stations may work well on one vehicle may be very poor on another vehicle. also wattage and antenna height make a huge difference as well. a radio station can be 10 miles away but if it is a 1000 watt with a 200 foot antenna, you're not going to pick it up nearly as well as the station that's 40 miles away that's a 100,000 watt station with a 700 foot antenna.

you live in a salt state...

There is a connection point on the roof that may be corroded>?
Also it can come unplugged from the back of the radio.

Thank you both of you this has been like this since I got the car and everything is plugged in and stock. The antenna looks kinda rusty and missing the rubber shield I'll start there

I replaced mine with a $5 eBay stubby one. Works good around town but gets occasional interference. When I go on long drives it won't pick up as many stations clearly. And having a stubby dosent make the car look like its remote controlled haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be honest, i don't think i've ever even listened to the FM in my car. The day i bought it i switched the factory radio out for aftermarket, and it rarely leaves SiriusXM. occasionally i'll listen to something from my phone or ipod but never FM. I just don't care to listen to all the commercials, and don't particularly care for most of the modern music they play on the radio.

to be honest, i don't think i've ever even listened to the FM in my car. The day i bought it i switched the factory radio out for aftermarket, and it rarely leaves SiriusXM. occasionally i'll listen to something from my phone or ipod but never FM. I just don't care to listen to all the commercials, and don't particularly care for most of the modern music they play on the radio.

lol wish I had that now! I work almost every night delivering pizza and I have only FM or a 25 song CD [emoji33]

I also don't use the radio. After a month or 2 I switched it out for a pioneer radio and downloaded all my songs onto a SD card. Just remember a shorter antenna will receive less stations depending on travel of the city.

Back