2017 CX5 roof molding with holes in the fixed mounting points for rack

XYR03

:
2017 CX5, 2015 981S
Hello all! First post here and excited that I have joined. Would anybody know the part number for the weather strip on the roof with holes for the fix points to mount a Thule rack on top? I have a 47in Aeroblades and 480R base that I have took off from my Mazda 3 and would like to fit them on the new car. Thanks!

I think you can just trim the ones you have to expose the bolt holes.

I agree, when I purchased the roof rack for the Mazda 3 I had to order new strips. It came with holes and covers. I have found the part for the last gen CX5, the part number is KD33-50-9H0. I'm in no rush to get them install, I just want to avoid the case of the rack not fitting and I would have to plug the holes or buy new trim.

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts/mazda-roof-molding-kd33509h0

Be careful with this guys, I was under the impression that the CX-5's that had the fixed point mounts and the covers over those mounts are different then the one we get here in the USA. The UK model has a different rack system them the NA version and the mounting locations don't line up, at least that's my under standing. I may be wrong, in fact I hope I'm wrong and new molding car be ordered with the covers for the mounting holes. That would allow the use of the foot pack with many aftermarket racks. I don't like the door clip style feet and wish to avoid that if at all possible. I actually have the OEM rack sitting in the garage, waiting to be painted and installed. If this pans out I may re think my choices here.

I found the part numbers and posted this in hbaxeric's thread about his Thule rack install:

According to the Mazda UK site, the bolt-on roof rack (bolts directly to roof) requires roof moldings with part numbers:

KBYA-50-9H0A (right side)
KBYA-50-9L0A (left side)

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/accessories/mazda-cx-5/2017-05/transport/KB8NV3840/

Not sure how we would get these parts in the US, though, or if the US part numbering scheme is the same.

Ended up finding the parts available on quirkparts.com and just ordered them. Will report back once received and let everyone know how they work out.

Got this response from quirkparts less than 2 hours after ordering:

"Unfortunately, we've been informed by the manufacturer that the part you ordered is currently unavailable. We have canceled, and refunded your order.Please allow 3-5 business days for the refund to post to your credit card."

Bummer.

Last edited:
Got this response from quickparts less than 2 hours after ordering:

"Unfortunately, we've been informed by the manufacturer that the part you ordered is currently unavailable. We have canceled, and refunded your order.Please allow 3-5 business days for the refund to post to your credit card."

Bummer.

We'll just have to wait....

For those like me who want a roof rack without the roof rails (in the US), I stumbled upon this Japanese owner who installed a Thule rack directly onto the threaded holes underneath the roof molding using Thule fit kit 3069:

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/412493/car/2376477/4188583/note.aspx

p8.jpg

We can get that fit kit in the US, but still don't know of any way to get the roof moldings with the cutouts to access the threaded holes:

p4.jpg

Last edited:

Yeah, those websites list the parts, but they can't actually provide them. I have tried to order from both quirkparts.com and coxmazda.com and both times they came back and said they do not have the parts. shopmazdaparts.com seems to use the same e-commerce engine as the two I ordered from. According to an e-mail exchange I had with quirkparts.com, their "... site listings are not reflective of stock quantity, they are simply catalog listings."

For those interested, the roof moldings with the openings for direct roof rack mounting are now available in the U.S. I ordered from coxmazdaparts.com, but given that they had them now, your local dealer can probably get them too. Installation was a breeze, see instructions here for roof rails if you need tips on taking off the existing roof moldings:

https://sep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/0000-8L-R09.pdf

Some pics:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The openings line up with the rearward hole on the front-most mounting bracket and the forward hole on the rear-most mounting bracket. Spacing between holes (and thus your roof rails) is about 33.5 inches.

One of the cool things about my old '04 BMW 325i was when I discovered the roof rack mounting points hidden under flip-up covers along the roof rails, and then found a Thule rack made to fit them. Nice that the CX-5 can have this feature, but my days of lifting a bike up onto a vehicle roof are over -- especially a roof at SUV-height! Nothing but hitch racks for me these days.

Also less expensive when driving into one's garage and forgetting that the bikes are loaded...

So these are only for the 2017's? I don't believe they would work for the first gen CX-5

It seems like if one was able to make holes exactly at the right spot in the molding, it would be easy to seal the holes. Maybe a set screw with a rubber washer or a rubber plug. The thing is, how to drill the holes in the exact right spot.

I confirm that this is working for the moulding. But according to my vendor there are no Thule kits for the CX-5 2019. The only model I found is from Rhino : Vortex 2500 #JA7748.

Back