Opinions please

Nice. I will likely use this idea when I make mine. I would love to have a full underbody panel to streamline airflow

Does that Alucobond flex any? Can you mold it? Working on a diffuser and was looking for something to make it out of that didn't include cardboard lol

It's pretty good to work with. It can be bent to make soft curves but not solid angles. Easy to drill through, easy to cut and shape and easy to paint. I'll be starting my rear diffuser soon out of the same stuff.

I want to do a flat floor as well, but the chassis rails under the car are lower than the sills themselves. So it will be hard to get it completely flat, although I think I have a solution for it. 3 sided aluminium and screwed into the sills.

I think with the diffuser itself that the spare wheel well is in the way as well as the back panel. I'm going to get another bumper so I can cut it up a bit and experiment with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's pretty good to work with. It can be bent to make soft curves but not solid angles. Easy to drill through, easy to cut and shape and easy to paint. I'll be starting my rear diffuser soon out of the same stuff.

I want to do a flat floor as well, but the chassis rails under the car are lower than the sills themselves. So it will be hard to get it completely flat, although I think I have a solution for it. 3 sided aluminium and screwed into the sills.

I think with the diffuser itself that the spare wheel well is in the way as well as the back panel. I'm going to get another bumper so I can cut it up a bit and experiment with it.

I would need short curves, about 75deg turn at 1.25-1.5" radius. Too small?

Depends how deep you want to go with the diffuser. You can get about +10-12deg from the underside of the spare wheel well to the bottom of the rear bumper cover. You can go quite a bit deeper by cutting out the rear valance, but I think the spare wheel well makes a good starting point. You want the start of the diffuser to be at level with your underbody panels, I don't think the spare wheel well drops lower, but I didn't measure it either..

I would need short curves, about 75deg turn at 1.25-1.5" radius. Too small?

Depends how deep you want to go with the diffuser. You can get about +10-12deg from the underside of the spare wheel well to the bottom of the rear bumper cover. You can go quite a bit deeper by cutting out the rear valance, but I think the spare wheel well makes a good starting point. You want the start of the diffuser to be at level with your underbody panels, I don't think the spare wheel well drops lower, but I didn't measure it either..

The other thing to consider is the rear wheel links and axels. They sit pretty low as well as the sway bar. There will literally have to be a cut out for those which would cause an it if turbulence. Also the jacking points...

If you're going to race the car, the Autoexe chassis braces are something to look into. It's a 5 pc kit and really stiffens up the chassis and suspension. The downside is that they would interfere with the single-surface underbody paneling

If you're going to race the car, the Autoexe chassis braces are something to look into. It's a 5 pc kit and really stiffens up the chassis and suspension. The downside is that they would interfere with the single-surface underbody paneling

Another downside is they arent even available on the website i just checked...

The biggest downside of all is it not being able to buy it xD

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

lol true that. Autoexe has discontinued all products for the protege, so you can't buy from them anymore, you're lucky if you find the parts second-hand, or even fifth-hand lol..

I thought one of the vendors on the forum had picked up the task of remaking them. I think they got the rear subframe brace made but I don't remember, it's been a while.

Last i heard months ago cres from cr3 had a full set to replicate the braces but its been silent on that front for a while now.

I knew I was forgetting something! I did this pretty much the next day after I started the thread. What do you think?
6b258ff42d056dfdc1558eaae7752bb2.jpg
60891372dd31e59aabb93c55a4144c80.jpg

Honestly I love it! And please for your safety please stand on it!

Lol I like it. You need fender flares with that! And some 16's, you need to get that splitter within 1 inch (2.5cm) of the ground :D

Lol I like it. You need fender flares with that! And some 16's, you need to get that splitter within 1 inch (2.5cm) of the ground :D

When I take it for a track day I'll adjust it a bit lower. I had a 16 on the front the other day because I got a flat tyre and it looked ******* tiny! I bought ms6 brakes for the front so I won't be able to run a 16 soon.

Back