Burning a quart of oil in a day?

zmcmoy

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey, all.

Recently I bought a forged engine from Speed Circuit and everything was fine for a while. No engine oil burning that I noticed, the only problem I had with it was that the head was ticking from the start. But now it's burning a quart of oil every 50 miles. Is it possible it's just my turbo seal that went bad? If so, when would the turbo burn oil? Just under boost or would it be similar to a piston ring issue? What makes me think it's not the rings is just the fact that they were fine for a month. You'd think if they didn't seat, it would have been immediately noticeable, right?

Times I've noticed it burning oil:
Start up
Acceleration (this is most noticeable, huge clouds)
Revving in neutral
A small, tiny bit at idle.

I haven't noticed any under deceleration but it's hard to tell from the rear view mirror.

Last edited:
Sounds like bad piston rings but the turbo can also be a possibility. I suggest you start with the turbo since its the easier of the two but I'd prepare for the possibility that you have a bad engine.

I agree,run a compression test.I was about 60lbs under on cyl 1 when i did my last compression test and i to was using about 1 qt for every 150ish miles.I also noticed the most burning oil under acceleration (esp when someone i knew was following behind and told me).
Determined to be a bad ring.But in you're case if its a new rebuilt and they didnt seat well i'd also check to see there warranty and break in procedures they use or recommended.

How many miles did you put on the motor before going into boost or over 3000rpm? What oil did you use to break in the new motor?

Back