Burning Smell After Towing

crfracer671

:
2016 CX-5
I recently began towing a trailer that is hovering around the 2000# capacity and i notice a burning smell when coming to a stop after highway travel. The smell only lasts a short duration and upon inspecting outside of the vehicle I cannot pin point where it's coming from. My guess it is either the clutch or the brakes. Has anyone else experienced this? My cx5 is a 16 touring with 20k miles on it.

I recently began towing a trailer that is hovering around the 2000# capacity and i notice a burning smell when coming to a stop after highway travel. The smell only lasts a short duration and upon inspecting outside of the vehicle I cannot pin point where it's coming from. My guess it is either the clutch or the brakes. Has anyone else experienced this? My cx5 is a 16 touring with 20k miles on it.

do you have a AWD ? if so, I would go underneath and check the front transfer case and rear differential for any signs of oil leak, they only hold about 1/2 liter of oil each, if strained they tend to overheat and spew oil thru the breather valve if pressure gets too high

That sounds like brakes if it's not an oily smell. Brakes will get seriously hot and put off quite a lot of smell after towing and coming to a stop.

Yes, AWD. It's a hot rubber type smell so I'm hoping it's the breaks. I will also check the transfer case and rear diff for leaks. How often should the oil in these be changed?

Yes, AWD. It's a hot rubber type smell so I'm hoping it's the breaks. I will also check the transfer case and rear diff for leaks. How often should the oil in these be changed?

If you tow or have a rooftop carrier manual says to replace rear diff fluid every 30K miles. Even though owners manual doesn't call for it I am changing the front transfer as well at those intervals.

I had this smell after my first tow.

It wasn't the brakes, I bedded them in, and when towing, I coast to a stop.

I think some of it is just burning gunk (cosmoline?) off the exhaust, or surrounding areas.

Some might be oil near exhaust, too.

Back