Engine bay cleaning

ONIONSLAYER

:
2003 Mazda Proteg5
I was going to clean the engine bay on my p5 today. I usually just use purple power on my other vehicles, but I was reading that purple power can corrode aluminum? Does anybody have experience or another suggestion for degreaser?

Simple green. Cover alternator with plastic or foil and spray it on everything avoiding electrical connections and wait a few minutes. Use a part cleaning brush or a paint brush and agitate it. Rinse with a soft stream of water. DO NOT GET WATER ANYWHERE NEAR THE IGNITION COILS WHEN RINSING!!! Also be sure to disconnect your battery
0ae53d79d094f652b4516a3b6a1f8d60.jpg

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Is there any way to rinse the valve cover without getting the coils wet? :D Could I just take out the coils and shove some cut up tee shirt in the spark plug hole?

I mean realistically you should be fine as long as you dont let large amounts of water chill near the coils. If you have misfires after you clean your engine take out all the spark plugs and be sure to remove all the water in the cylenders with compressed air or just let it dry

cover the maf and coils with foil. spray everything you can see with simple green and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. fire up the pressure washer and let er rip.

worst case you get the coils a little wet, and you'll have a misfire trying to start it. let it dry out and it should be fine. it's not like they never get wet driving through big puddles and stuff on their own anyway.

cover the maf and coils with foil. spray everything you can see with simple green and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. fire up the pressure washer and let er rip.

worst case you get the coils a little wet, and you'll have a misfire trying to start it. let it dry out and it should be fine. it's not like they never get wet driving through big puddles and stuff on their own anyway.
Preasure washer is another option but its risky in my opinion. Either way, use caution and do it at your own risk. That being said, you'll be fine haha

What I like about AZ is I take a day to wash the engine bay. It gets 100+ in the summer time and I just leave the hood open in direct sunlight while I wipe everything down and it dries out in a couple of hours.

What I like about AZ is I take a day to wash the engine bay. It gets 100+ in the summer time and I just leave the hood open in direct sunlight while I wipe everything down and it dries out in a couple of hours.
God bless your soul. I'm in Georgia and it gets so hot in the summer but rarely over 100 lol. I bet you have to wax ur car often to prevent sun damage

I wash my car at least once a month. It rains here a lot so I see no point in washing it more.

I only actually "wash" my car with soap maybe a couple times per year. I'll blast the dirt off with the pressure washer when i start to have a hard time seeing out the windows, but i live on a dirt road so not much point in trying to keep it clean. it won't last a day, the first time i drive down the road the back is covered in dust like i never did anything to begin with lol

and i'm in GA too, we'll see 90's pretty frequently but we have something you don't... humidity. that beautiful stuff makes 95 feel like 120 :)

I only actually "wash" my car with soap maybe a couple times per year. I'll blast the dirt off with the pressure washer when i start to have a hard time seeing out the windows, but i live on a dirt road so not much point in trying to keep it clean. it won't last a day, the first time i drive down the road the back is covered in dust like i never did anything to begin with lol

and i'm in GA too, we'll see 90's pretty frequently but we have something you don't... humidity. that beautiful stuff makes 95 feel like 120 :)
Yeah man whats up with the back glass getting filthy like 5 minutes after washing it??? And sweet man what part of Georgia??

lol back glass, bumper, etc. My rear wiper gets a workout or the back window would be pointless lol.

South GA out in the middle of nowhere, near Jesup

I also heard from a friend that you can put tire shine gel on the plastics and rubbers around the engine to restore them. Is this okay? Will it do anything bad?

I also heard from a friend that you can put tire shine gel on the plastics and rubbers around the engine to restore them. Is this okay? Will it do anything bad?
I do this and yes its an excellent way to shine up the rubber and plastic. I use hotshine tire shine by Maguires. It's my favorite tire shine and it smells like cherries too! Just spray some on a rag and wipe!

Back