One Year With My 2016 CX-5 Touring

CX-5inJCTN

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Just over a year ago I took possession of my first-ever Mazda, a gently-used 2016 Touring in Black Jet Mica, FWD. My appreciation for this CUV has not diminished one bit! I've put right at 19,000 miles on it in that year (on top of the 18k it already had), and I'm averaging 29.8 mpg over that time (about 50 / 50 city / highway driving). I LOVE the handling of this Mazda, and acceleration is excellent. My first SUV and I'm wondering what took me so long to get into a Mazda. I've enjoyed being a part of this forum, too; thanks for the tips and photos you've shared.

Every passing week I am so glad I got the TOURING trim. Its best bang for the buck. With so much tech in cars - even a small frontal collision can total a car. Stop n Go radar CC, sensors for LDWS etc., Windshield with rain sensors etc.
You dont even need frame damage to total a loaded CX-5. More so if you happen to get involved in an accident 2-3 years after buying it when residuals value drops.
Touring has got just the right amount of tech RCTA and BSM. Amazing - only thing that bums me are those ugly yellow DRLs.

Wait, do we have the same car
I am pretty happy with my acceleration, as well. I wasn't expecting 0-60 in 6 seconds or I would have gotten something else.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I am pretty happy with my acceleration, as well. I wasn't expecting 0-60 in 6 seconds or I would have gotten something else.

sub 8 second, zero to 60 isn't too shabby. sure, it's not hellcat or demon, but I believe the CX-5 can get up and scoot with the best of them. Sure, the CX-5 isn't light, but it isn't a big heavy pig either and I think it does just fine with the hp it has and the 6 gears in the transmission. Much more pleasant in the acceleration dept than some of the other segment competitors.

merging onto the freeway is just fine and in the right gear, passing is no problem. Now, I'm not in Denver, and I'm sure being at some sort of elevation would change things a bit, but overall, the CX-5 accelerates just fine.

We are just into week 3 of ownership (2016 Touring), and although there are things that make me scratch my head, or chap my hide, or go "WTF"...acceleration is not not one of them.

Yea, I think the people who say the CX-5 are slow either a) were expecting too much to begin with or b) just simply baby those cars too much. You can't be afraid to punch it. You'll never reach the kickdown switch if you don't. Don't know what a kick down switch is? You might be c) just not that into driving.
My 65 year old mother in law didn't know what one was. There's no shame in this.
It doesn't surprise me anymore but it did, intially: nearly every single morning when I get on the freeway and have to merge left fast, I look down at the speedo (screw you 17 drivers with your HUD) and I'm cresting 80.
I like it.

Thanks for the year after update,OP.

Yea, I think the people who say the CX-5 are slow either a) were expecting too much to begin with or b) just simply baby those cars too much. You can't be afraid to punch it. You'll never reach the kickdown switch if you don't. Don't know what a kick down switch is? You might be c) just not that into driving.
My 65 year old mother in law didn't know what one was. There's no shame in this.
It doesn't surprise me anymore but it did, intially: nearly every single morning when I get on the freeway and have to merge left fast, I look down at the speedo (screw you 17 drivers with your HUD) and I'm cresting 80.
I like it.

Thanks for the year after update,OP.

I have no complaints either about acceleration coming from my V6 Mazda 6. When I know I am going to need that extra hmph, I just switch it into Sport mode and no need to wait for the delayed reaction of the kickdown switch. I was taught to always think ahead of where my car is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't be afraid to punch it. You'll never reach the kickdown switch if you don't.

I crossed the 500 mile recommended breakin on mine and was in a hurry to get my wife to an appointment today. Sport mode is fun. Gun it and goes. I floored it several times, and got to put the breaks through a workout. I'm very happy with the performance. For a small SUV it's impressively nimble.

Kinda sad that you have to floor it in order to get it moving fast though. Because it doesn't have much power, it does make it feel a bit more "fun" since you're revving it high, but in reality, you're not going all that fast and the engine sounds like it's just whining.

Good car though.

Are you driving the same car as me? I rarely NEED floor it. Just saying...you can't be afraid to.

Are you driving the same car as me? I rarely NEED floor it. Just saying...you can't be afraid to.

C'mon... You're the one trying to get technical with the kickdown switch.

And trust me. Nobody is going to be afraid to floor a CX-5.

Fact: a lot of people have no idea what a kick down switch is.

Fact: a lot of people are afraid to floor a car not because of speed...but because they perceive it to be "bad for the engine."

Probably fewer remember the floor mounted high beam switches :)

80-4_hi_beam_switch_old_school1_ab0b6812d2b4aca66279a4d97d3f29d04a3b53ac.jpg

Fact: a lot of people are afraid to floor a car not because of speed...but because they perceive it to be "bad for the engine."

Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Probably fewer remember the floor mounted high beam switches :)

80-4_hi_beam_switch_old_school1_ab0b6812d2b4aca66279a4d97d3f29d04a3b53ac.jpg

LOL

My parent's had a VW beetle when we were kids - not only had the high beam button like that, but also had a toggle switch beside it to swap over to the "reserve" section of the gas tank!

And wasnt that VW 6v high beam bright!!

I'm not a speed demon by any means, but when I want to put distance between the annoying bumper-rider and myself, I don't have to floor it to do so. Many times I've left others at the traffic light without flooring it. My CX-5 has pick-up. I've only used Sport Mode a couple of times, but that really kicks things up a notch.

And, yes, I wish they still put the headlight dimmer switch on the floor. So much easier to work.

Back