Aftermarket sunroof??? Stained headliner... Help!

Spannerhead

'94 MX-6 LS 5-speed
:
Chattanooga, TN
It's already been established that our Mazda5 has an aftermarket rear parking distance warning system (which I disabled since the beep was annoying and unreliable). I strongly suspect we may have an aftermarket sunroof too---which is nuts considering the amount of work involved in installing one. Here's some evidence:

Do these sunroof buttons look like anything you guys have seen?

170508-sunroof3.jpg

We bought the car with faint stains on the headliner around the sunroof area that have gotten progressively worse and larger, especially since we've had a lot of rain lately. No dripping or anything though.

Here's the sunroof from the outside:

170508-sunroof2.jpg

Does anything look different from the factory piece? Everything functions perfectly... except for the staining.

What do you all think? What can we do to stop the leaking (if that's what it is)?

OK so I did a little bit of investigation; turns out there's a model number on the inside of the wind deflector: "ASI 750."

This matches an aftermarket sunroof, so I can only assume sometime in the car's early life in Florida (or when it moved up here to TN a few years ago), a body shop installed a power sunroof... (eek)

Fortunately there's also this service document online:

http://www.signature-autoproducts.us/downloads/asiservicemanual.pdf

which has a troubleshooting procedure for leaks. Will follow.

this is aftermarket.
One of the things that should never been done after the fact, if you want sunroof, get factory, it is more then just cutting a hole in the roof.
Good luck troubleshooting. You can also take it a body shop and ask them to completely seal with like polyurethane glue and never open it again, if you can't find the leak.

Thanks. Yeah, pretty boneheaded move by the previous owner. I hate sunroofs in general. My BMW doesn't have one and I love that fact.

Wouldn't seal unless it were the very last resort. Going to try to troubleshoot first.

Couple of updates:

- Turns out the stains come off the headliner pretty easily with a magic eraser and a bit of elbow grease.
- We've decided to seal the sunroof and treat it essentially as a skylight. Neither my wife nor I use it other than just sliding back the cover. Need to take it to a bodyshop, as recommended, and have them apply some flexible sealant around the perimeter.

Back