mazda p5 2.3 turbo engine swap

mazda.p5

:
2002 mazda protage 5
im kinda getting tired of my old gutless 2.0 and wanted to know if anyone swapped a Mazda speed 3 engine and trans into a protege 5 and how easy it would be.. and wanted to know where the cheapest place is to get a set of fully adjustable coilovers

im kinda getting tired of my old gutless 2.0 and wanted to know if anyone swapped a Mazda speed 3 engine and trans into a protege 5 and how easy it would be.. and wanted to know where the cheapest place is to get a set of fully adjustable coilovers
Not sure about the mazdaspeed 3 swap. I have never heard of a p5 with that swap. But for the coil overs

Look at this on eBay https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Don't think I've seen anyone on the forums with a mazdaspeed3 swap. Most ppl just go turbo. For a little more money you could rebuild the internals too and go forged. For a big pain in the neck, I've heard of the KL swap, v6 setup ranging from 165-199hp. You'll have to do a lot of researching on that one. I found this, might give you some basic info,

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123829343-Protege-KLZE-KLDE-V6-swap-thread

Don't think I've seen anyone on the forums with a mazdaspeed3 swap. Most ppl just go turbo. For a little more money you could rebuild the internals too and go forged. For a big pain in the neck, I've heard of the KL swap, v6 setup ranging from 165-199hp. You'll have to do a lot of researching on that one. I found this, might give you some basic info,

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123829343-Protege-KLZE-KLDE-V6-swap-thread
I think that this swap is awesome and the motor sounds great, but honestly i think putting a turbo kit on is more practical. Just dont go over like 200hp or you will bend the rods on a stock engine. Such a bummer [emoji25]

If you're talking about the practicality of time, effort, and money spent then yes, installing a turbo kit will be much more efficient in all of those. But a KL that is properly rebuilt to OE specs and properly installed will be more practical and efficient for daily driving, while giving you more power than the FS. It all depends on what you want from the car and how much effort you're willing to put into getting what you want

Plus the turbo kit is more of a bolt on application. But i agree with you.

and wanted to know where the cheapest place is to get a set of fully adjustable coilovers

I can vouch for BC Racing BR Series. Had them on my car for years now and they are still like brand new. I did do a spring rate upgrade last year for track purposes tho.

I would think that the V6 swap would be better for daily drivability and reliability in the long run than a turbo kit. unless youreally like "tweaking" because most add on turbo kits you always have to tweak SOMETHING. Most turbo cars you always have to tweak SOMETHING you just can't leave them alone. i've had enough DSM's over the years to know better lol. once you feel that boost, it's never enough. better intercooler, bigger turbo, more fuel, bigger turbo crap now the turbo won't spool until 5k rpm so let's throw a 50 shot zex on there to get the turbo spooled faster... it's never ending. if it's a toy/track car by all means go turbo. if it's a daily driver from my personal experience i would recommend a V6 swap... or unless you're particularly attached to your car (because it would not be a small project by any means) may better suit you to just get a new car with more power from the factory. i've always wanted a bug-eye wrx wagon theyre just hard to find around here that aren't abused.

I had a V6 Probe GT almost 20 years ago... that car was a blast. It was basically stock with a few bolt-ons and it wasn't "fast" (low 15's/high 14/s in the 1/4 mile) but "felt" way faster than it really was due to gearing and power band. I bought that car with 40k miles and beat on it daily, i was a kid back in college and didn't "think" lol. poor car had a really hard life... but I sold it with 170k a couple years later and never had anything break on it.

im now kinda thinking maybe a kl swap is best but what would i need to do the swap will hat motor bolt up to my stock trans? will the motor mounts line up? is the ecu just a plug in play or do i have to rewire the whole car

Idk about the trans, but the motor mounts will not line up. You will need the KL ecu and I believe the wiring harness as well. Search the forum for "KL swap", look at ppl's builds, do some research. I don't think any one person will be able to tell you exactly what to do

Back