New 2017 CX-5 has Dead pixels in Mazda connect screen?

I'm preparing a cheat sheet for myself to keep track of the glitches reported so far by 17 owners. Besides the problem reported in this thread, I also have the following (which I'm able to locate the respective threads):

== exposed clips under dash panel
== crash test ratings not available yet
== red line of pixels around Mazda Connect screen

But I can't find the other thread where someone reported seeing a white (?) line in the HUD that occasionally pops up, apparently content dependent if I remember it correctly. Can someone points me to that thread please?

I have no recollection of it (scratch)

I have no recollection of it (scratch)

No worries Xeler8ing, but thanks!

It's within the past week. Possibly posted under a thread not dedicated to the reported issue. I vaguely remember two posters have seen the issue, something like: a white line showing above the speed limit (??) in the HUD that would go away whenever some other data is displayed above it ...

No worries Xeler8ing, but thanks!

It's within the past week. Possibly posted under a thread not dedicated to the reported issue. I vaguely remember two posters have seen the issue, something like: a white line showing above the speed limit (??) in the HUD that would go away whenever some other data is displayed above it ...
If you find it, would be great as I would like to read it

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Good chance its a hardware defect in the display itself. Bad column of subpixels stuck on or off. There's a thin transistor created by something similar to a printing process at the end of a column that controls these - very easy for damage to occur. Often the display will pass QC at the factory only to be damaged in shipping later.

Sometimes the video hardware or a dirty/loose connection can cause problems but they are always more widespread than a single pixel column.

Only fix is to replace display. In this case, they'll likely replace the whole unit and send the other for refurbishing.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. This also shows your very technical knowledge in this field too! (cool)

I've also seen some new 2nd-gen CX-9 owners were having infotainment LCD screen problems but most of them were sudden blackout then reboot. It's video hardware driver issue but Mazda chose to replace the whole video unit including the LCD screen after several tries of fixing it with new software updates.

Is there a chance that a software update might help? If so, how is the software updated anyway?

Very doubtful. As said, it's hardware.
Dealer has to update your software. They probably use an SD card.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Is there a chance that a software update might help? If so, how is the software updated anyway?

Software update only fixes issues such as BT dropouts, freezing, vertical roll etc

Very doubtful. As said, it's hardware.
Dealer has to update your software. They probably use an SD card.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Indeed

No software will fix that. Either a loose connector in the dash , the infotainment itself or the screen has a defect on it would be my guess.

Last edited:
Back