New 2017 CX-5 has Dead pixels in Mazda connect screen?

meeno

:
05 mazda 3
I noticed the other day that the screen had a thin red line running top to bottom on the right side of the screen. I tried turning the car on and off but it still shows up (on every screen, even welcome/shut down screens with the Mazda logo).

A little annoying since the car has barely 100 miles but wondering if there's anything I can do before taking it to the dealer?

Not much you can do on this as it's definitely the hardware problem. It's most likely caused by the bad video driver but less chance the bad LCD screen. Your problem is not dead pixels on the screen.

I noticed the other day that the screen had a thin red line running top to bottom on the right side of the screen. I tried turning the car on and off but it still shows up (on every screen, even welcome/shut down screens with the Mazda logo).

A little annoying since the car has barely 100 miles but wondering if there's anything I can do before taking it to the dealer?

You need to take it back and get it replaced.

No other dealers that are closer?

Mine has the same issue on the left side of the screen. We noticed it before taking it off the lot. The dealer will be replacing it but I'm really not thrilled with the idea of taking the dash apart on a brand new car.

Mine has the same issue on the left side of the screen. We noticed it before taking it off the lot. The dealer will be replacing it but I'm really not thrilled with the idea of taking the dash apart on a brand new car.

If it has to be done then....

Not thrilled either. That's why I'm going to hold off a bit. Weird thing is it was normal when I first got it (had two miles on the odometer). Issue seemed to happen a couple days later.

Not thrilled either. That's why I'm going to hold off a bit. Weird thing is it was normal when I first got it (had two miles on the odometer). Issue seemed to happen a couple days later.

Sounds like it was a faulty unit from the beginning but took a little bit of time to malfunction

Most likely not going to fix itself. That's a hardware defect.

It sounds like he's trying to say Mazda quality sucks. Pretty much doesn't. The lack of car problem posts in the CX-5 forum is pretty mind blowing. I'd expect a LOT more.

i'll probably just wait till my first oil change. don't want my car to be the first one they ever take apart.

I doubt it's that much different then the dash in the 9, 3 or 6. Considering the 5 was the last to get the "iPad infotainment" I would have zero qualms about getting that fixed. ASAP.

I doubt it's that much different then the dash in the 9, 3 or 6. Considering the 5 was the last to get the "iPad infotainment" I would have zero qualms about getting that fixed. ASAP.

The way the screen is bonded is the only difference. Made mention of this in a clip I saw. 3 & 6 is using old method.

Not much you can do on this as it's definitely the hardware problem. It's most likely caused by the bad video driver but less chance the bad LCD screen. Your problem is not dead pixels on the screen.

Good chance its a hardware defect in the display itself. Bad column of subpixels stuck on or off. There's a thin transistor created by something similar to a printing process at the end of a column that controls these - very easy for damage to occur. Often the display will pass QC at the factory only to be damaged in shipping later.

Sometimes the video hardware or a dirty/loose connection can cause problems but they are always more widespread than a single pixel column.

Only fix is to replace display. In this case, they'll likely replace the whole unit and send the other for refurbishing.

Last edited:
I'm preparing a cheat sheet for myself to keep track of the glitches reported so far by 17 owners. Besides the problem reported in this thread, I also have the following (which I'm able to locate the respective threads):

== exposed clips under dash panel
== crash test ratings not available yet
== red line of pixels around Mazda Connect screen

But I can't find the other thread where someone reported seeing a white (?) line in the HUD that occasionally pops up, apparently content dependent if I remember it correctly. Can someone points me to that thread please?

Back