Coilover settings and other questions

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
So, I was adjusting the rear shock settings on my Yellowspeeds today, and was wondering what everyone else was running. Those of you that have the Yellowspeed coilovers, (got mine from CR3, thanks!) what shock setting you guys have and how is the ride quality? It's supposed to be 32-way adjustable, I just set mine on 20 clicks from the softest up front and 24 clicks rear. Was on 12 clicks last summer with my 8" wheels on, and any larger bump or uneven ground (like where parking lots meet the street) caused the wheels to rub.

Second question. So I also want to roll my fenders soon, and I noticed that the rear wheel wells don't have any fender liners. Is this normal with the P5? The front has them, the rear looks like it's only been coated with bed liner.

Third, has anyone found a way to get rid of the annoying rear seatbelt guides? I'm talking about the big, heavy, black chunk of metal sitting on top of the rear struts. It's a royal pita to have to take the entire interior trim liner off just to get to the bolts holding it so I can take it off to adjust shock settings. I don't want to get rid of the guide completely because the seatbelt will rub on the sharp edge of the plastic trim and fray the edges over time. Has anyone experimented with cutting it down or fabricating something smaller?

And last, happy Friday!

Last edited:
My buddy just purchaced the pink Godspeed coilovers from amazon for his P5 and im curious about thic topic too

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Cut a hole in the center of the guide and get longer Allen wrenches to adjust the rear coils.

Rear fenders never had any liners.

And I think you can get the guides off with a u joint without pulling all the trim out.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I drilled a hole on the top of the metal so i can adjust my illuminas. The only plastic i move is that top piece and slide if forward. Look down with a long screwdriver and make my adjustment and slide it back into place.

I just set up mine this weekend. The rear springs are way to soft for the dampener. I've got 7" wides on the rear and would rub over every bump and every sharpish corner. I changed the springs and its 1000x better! I replaced the front with 11kg/mm springs and put the front 7kg/mm on the rear. Bit bouncy. Maybe 10 or 9kgs on the front and 6kg on the back would be a lot more comfortable. Also a bit of negative camber on the back will help. I'm running -1.5 degrees on the back and eliminates any understeer/ oversteer. Also running a progress sway bar which helps heaps with the body roll.

As far as the inner guard liners are concerned there aren't any.

Only thing I really need to change are the rear endlinks.

I have 1 click on the rear from S and 12 on the front

Also I removed the seat belt guides so I could put my autoexe strut brace on. They are only guides so just leave them off. If you need to adjust them remove the plastic trim and the rubber cap and you will be fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We need more proof on coilovers! I really was looking into BC but now everyone is using yellowspeed?

The Yellowspeeds are common because CR3 did a GB on here. I've heard of a lot of other protege owners using the BC and Ksport(I think) coilovers

Anyone know the original rear spring weight on the Yellowspeeds?

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend BCs over Yellowspeeds or K Sport but they will all work fine.

Thanks.
Btw, from what I've heard from a lot of ppl, the rear shock settings make a bigger impact on ride quality than the fronts. If you're too bouncy, try setting the rear shocks to a harder setting

Also with stiffer suspension, make sure to keep your tire pressures in check. When they get low, things get bouncier. I have a habit of running 40psi because it feels good.

Is 40psi high or low for your tires?

Also has anyone messed with the spring seat adjustment on their Yellowspeeds? Was wondering if that could be changed to affect ride quality. I do think the vague manual that come with the coilovers says not to mess with it, that it's set to standard from the factory, but still..

40 is max, they're supposed to be like 32. And you could try playing around with preload. The come preloaded around 5mm.

Back