Help! Grinding noise coming from front passenger wheel area!

mtzoomzoom

:
2008 Mazda CX 9
Help! Grinding noise coming from front passenger wheel area!-UPDATE!!

Okay, here is the situation. I have a warped rotor on my 2008 Mazda cx 9 Touring. This is a fairly new to me vehicle (I have had it for 2 months) and has only 60k miles on it. I KNOW these vehicles eat breaks, it is an AWD. Breaks and rotors are ordered and replacing them will be my project next weekend.

Yesterday, however, the front passenger wheel (The same side with the warped rotor) started making a grinding noise when driving over 5mph. The grinding stops if I turn the wheel slightly to the right, no matter the speed. Around the same time the grinding noise appeared, the ABS and Traction Control lights both came on. I know they run off the same sensor, but I am thinking that it can't be a sensor issue given the noise. It was a fairly quiet last night, but I took it out to test drive today to see if I could better diagnose, and it is getting gradually louder as I drive. At this point, I am suspecting the caliper is sticking, but unsure if I should just order and replace the caliper or if it is likely to be an underlying issue such as a bad break booster.

This is the first Mazda I have owned, and I truly love the car, save the break issues (Lost a pin on the rear break last month as well....the breaks on this car dislike me!) Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!

UDPATE: I found the reason for the warning lights. Apparently my CV axel lug some how managed to work itself loose and had a gouge in it from where it hit the wheel. When I took the wheel off, the lug literally fell off with it. After a string of incorrect parts being ordered by the parts store (bang)(bang)(bang) I FINALLY just ordered the replacement off of ebay. I replaced the breaks and rotors on the front of the vehicle and took it for a spin around the block. All the warning lights went away (Hurrah!!) BUT the dragging noise is still happening. It pulls slightly to the right, but not enough that I am confident in saying it is the caliper sticking. When I took it for a quick drive around the block to pull it onto the concrete slab before changing the brakes, the rotor was HOT HOT HOT to the touch, leading me to believe that it may be a sticky caliper, but I am not 100% sold. How hot do your rotors get on these beasts? And looking for an opinion on if the caliper or the master cylinder is a better place to start?

Last edited:
Okay, here is the situation. I have a warped rotor on my 2008 Mazda cx 9 Touring. This is a fairly new to me vehicle (I have had it for 2 months) and has only 60k miles on it. I KNOW these vehicles eat breaks, it is an AWD. Breaks and rotors are ordered and replacing them will be my project next weekend.

Yesterday, however, the front passenger wheel (The same side with the warped rotor) started making a grinding noise when driving over 5mph. The grinding stops if I turn the wheel slightly to the right, no matter the speed. Around the same time the grinding noise appeared, the ABS and Traction Control lights both came on. I know they run off the same sensor, but I am thinking that it can't be a sensor issue given the noise. It was a fairly quiet last night, but I took it out to test drive today to see if I could better diagnose, and it is getting gradually louder as I drive. At this point, I am suspecting the caliper is sticking, but unsure if I should just order and replace the caliper or if it is likely to be an underlying issue such as a bad break booster.

This is the first Mazda I have owned, and I truly love the car, save the break issues (Lost a pin on the rear break last month as well....the breaks on this car dislike me!) Any help or recommendations would be appreciated!

Possibly the brake pad wear indicator or check the brake calipers...

Could be a wheel bearing. Those will typically make a grinding sound and will get louder/quieter as load is applied and removed, such as turning.
Since you said it seems to be quieter as you turn to the right, this would be reducing the load on the passenger side wheels. If you turn to the left, does it get louder?

As for your lights, check brake fluid level? That can cause the lights to come on if the level is low.

It doesn't get louder when I turn left, only stops when I turn to the right. The sound came from nowhere and is LOUD!

Latest posts

Back