Do anyone else's drink holders get warm on longer trips?

AreDee

Contributor
:
2016 CX-9 Grand Touring Sonic Silver 2017 CX-5 GT Eternal Blue
We've had several 4 to 5 hour trips in our 2016 CX-9 GT AWD. It's a great vehicle for travel and we love the ride. One item of note that is odd is that the front seat drink holders seem to get warm to the point of heating a water bottle to an uncomfortable drinking temperature. Has anyone else experienced this? It doesn't seem normal and has happened during 40 degree temperatures.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Have not notice but will have to watch for that. Is this with rear climate control set to heat or even with rear climate control off?

Get a 30-oz tumbler and never worry about the water heating up for days.
It actually even heats and melts ice in those. I'm going to be testing this later today as we have travel ahead. I think it may have something to do with the seat warmers or rear controls. My wife usually has the seat warmers on the passenger side. I'll be checking back in tonight.

We've had several 4 to 5 hour trips in our 2016 CX-9 GT AWD. It's a great vehicle for travel and we love the ride. One item of note that is odd is that the front seat drink holders seem to get warm to the point of heating a water bottle to an uncomfortable drinking temperature. Has anyone else experienced this? It doesn't seem normal and has happened during 40 degree temperatures.

could it be the air ductwork going to the rear passengers and the ductwork is running right beneath the cupholders heating it up ? try turning off the rear HVAC controls and see what happens....

Have you tested with an infrared temp device? That might tell you if the surface is actually warming up. If I get bored I might test it out.

Have you tested with an infrared temp device? That might tell you if the surface is actually warming up. If I get bored I might test it out.
Let me know the results. I have a plan for our drive this afternoon to have everything off for an hour and then start the seat warmers and eventually the rear hvac system. I'll share results some time this evening.

It actually even heats and melts ice in those. I'm going to be testing this later today as we have travel ahead. I think it may have something to do with the seat warmers or rear controls. My wife usually has the seat warmers on the passenger side. I'll be checking back in tonight.

I guess I've never noticed it. But I've only ever had AC going on rear and have never used the seat warmers.

90 minutes into our travel. No hvac or seat warmers. The drink holders have warmed some but not significantly. Testing the next hour or so with the wife's seatwarmer on...

Ok... It's definitely an issue related to the rear hvac. When I didn't use the rear seat controls, the cup holders started to warm. It was quite warm to the touch inside the folding center console. I turned the rear hvac to 68 degrees with the ac, and the center console heat went away. I'm still wondering if anyone else has experienced it or if it is abnormal. Please let me know if someone else notices this. Thanks!

The console and cup holder area on my 2016 get VERY hot on long highway trips, as does the driveline "hump" itself.
I think there is a lot of hot air and radiant exhaust heat flowing through that area under the car and the console traps it.
I will occasionally go into the console while driving to retrieve something and it will be very warm to the touch.
Don't store Chapstick or stick gum, though "chicklet" style hard coated gum seems to survive OK.

Used an infrared temp gauge...no difference after a three hour drive.
Horton, is your CX-9 AWD? Wondering if that would make the difference...

I thought of this thread on 2 5-hour trips this weekend. My water bottle definitely got warm (more than ambient) in my GT AWD center cupholder.

The console and cup holder area on my 2016 get VERY hot on long highway trips, as does the driveline "hump" itself.
I think there is a lot of hot air and radiant exhaust heat flowing through that area under the car and the console traps it.
I will occasionally go into the console while driving to retrieve something and it will be very warm to the touch.
Don't store Chapstick or stick gum, though "chicklet" style hard coated gum seems to survive OK.

My center console (storage area with the folding cover) inside front wall gets hot pretty quick. After just 15 minutes i can feel the temperature difference. Rear HVAC not on. The other parts of the console inside walls are not as hot. The cup holders don't heat up nearly as much but I can feel a little warm up at the rear cup holder near the console wall that heats up on the inside. Will have to check on a longer trip and also check with the rear HVAC on to see if it makes difference.

Went on a 3hr drive this past weekend and noticed console area incl cup holders to have same issue(warmer than normal) without the rear HVAC on...

I appreciate all of the discussion. I was on a longer trip this weekend also and the only way to keep this area from warming is to keep the rear AC operating to cool the console.

Back