Jazzy's BJII SP20

Cheers hornsfan.

I actually don't mind the look of the wheels being tucked in a bit. Not a fan of the "flush" look at all.
I test fitted a 17x7 ET55 wheel and tyre on the front and back and there's plenty room at the front, and rear clears the strut by about 8mm with stock camber settings. So I'll be looking for some 17x7's with an offset range of ET45-ET50. Plus there's state laws that say front wheel drive and McPherson strut cars cannot increase track from factory spec's. In saying that what was the biggest wheels fitted to our cars from factory in the US, or anywhere in the world even? Size and offset details please?

Last edited:
Cheers hornsfan.

I actually don't mind the look of the wheels being tucked in a bit. Not a fan of the "flush" look at all.
I test fitted a 17x7 ET55 wheel and tyre on the front and back and there's plenty room at the front, and rear clears the strut by about 8mm with stock camber settings. So I'll be looking for some 17x7's with an offset range of ET45-ET50. Plus there's state laws that say front wheel drive and McPherson strut cars cannot increase track from factory spec's. In saying that what was the biggest wheels fitted to our cars from factory in the US, or anywhere in the world even? Size and offset details please?

I believe the biggest wheels on any 3rd gen Protege/Familia/323 from the factory is the Mazdaspeed Protege with the RacingHart wheels that were 17x7 ET45 (offset i dont remember off the top of my head).

The MSP Racing harts are 17x7 +55 offset. The P5 wheels are the same as you have for the 02s and the 03s are the same size. 16x6 with a +50 offset

The MSP Racing harts are 17x7 +55 offset. The P5 wheels are the same as you have for the 02s and the 03s are the same size. 16x6 with a +50 offset

Thanks hornsfan. Interesting that the MSP Racing Harts are an inch wider yet have a ET55 offset. With the standard P5 alloy wheels being 6" and a ET50 offset, according to my owners manual, the standard P5 has a 1470mm track front and rear. So with the MSP's 7" and ET55 offset, that would mean the MSP has a narrower track than the P5 by 10mm. Would have thought the MSP being the "sportier" model it would have a wider track compared to a P5?? More tyre contact patch yes, but a narrower track overall. Would have thought they'd be 17X7 ET45.

What is the track measurement for the MSP Protg (with the 17X7" Racing Hart wheels) according to Mazda USA? And what was the factory fitted tyre size on them please?

The offset is measured from the middle of the wheel. Therefore, the MSP rims will have a 15mm wider track overall.

The offset is measured from the middle of the wheel. Therefore, the MSP rims will have a 15mm wider track overall.

According to the link below, the Mazdaspeed Protg with the 17x7" and 215/45ZR17 tyres, has a front track of 57.2in (1452mm) and a rear track of 57.4in (1458mm). And according to the link below (and also my owners manual) the Protg5 (Astina SP20 in Australia) with the 16x6" and 195/50R16 tyres, has a front track that is 57.7in (1465mm), and a rear track that is 57.9in (1470mm).

So a 0.5in (12mm) narrower track front and rear on the MSP Protg compared to the P5. (shrug)

Mazdaspeed Protg spec's:
http://www.mazdaspd.com/

Protg5 spec's:
http://www.thecarconnection.com/specifications/mazda_protege5_2002_5dr-wgn-2-0l-manual

Back