Jazzy's BJII SP20

JazzySP20

Madaz
:
AUSTRALIA
:
BJII Astina SP20
I bought this SP20 5 speed a little over a year ago. One previous owner (Mum's friend) and it was in tip top condition for its age. A minty. Never crashed, serviced on time, full history known, and I got it for steal! Being 16 years old then, it had to be cheap. And this was a bargain that I just could not refuse.

Some pic's from the for sale add.

sp20_1.jpg

sp20_2.jpg

sp20_4.jpg

sp20_3.jpg

And then it all started!

Less than a week later I polished and waxed it, removed the side 'SP20' decals, and painted the wheels black.

DSC_0303_-_Copy.jpg

Some detail on the wheels.

DSC_0489_-_Copy.jpg

I then started work on the inside of the car. One of the first mod's was a 626 cabin filter. Done as per factory using factory parts.

DSC_0426_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0427_-_Copy.jpg

Not long after that, I went on a family holiday through Asia, and I found a set of BJII electric folding mirrors dirt cheap. $25.00 for the pair and the switch!! (yippy)
First thing I did when I got back was install the mirrors and switch. Added the necessary signal wires for the passenger side mirror too.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/216280227" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p

Got a universal folding mirror control box and wired the mirrors to fold in with remote central locking. And open when key in ACC position.

GF 626 Eclipse carbon fibre front window switch trims next, and swapped the interior door handles to lower spec. The door handles look better without the painted silver lever IMO.

DSC_0455_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0456_-_Copy.jpg

Ford KQ Laser intermittent wiper switch was next. Such a shame they didn't have this on the top spec 323 (SP20), but was available from factory on the lowest spec Ford Laser!??

DSC_0458_-_Copy.jpg

Next, installed a OEM VW Bora red illuminated cigarette lighter. Looks factory! (cabpatch)

DSC_0438_-_Copy.jpg

And installed an OEM Mazda UKDM MX-5 gearknob. Leather, piano black and illuminated red. The photo's didn't catch the colour correctly. It illuminated blood red. Looks really good at night.

DSC_0436_-_Copy.jpg

Changed the AC control globes to some brighter globes, but still using them orange 'condoms'. Going to fix these soon with red globes.

DSC_0440_-_Copy.jpg

Brighter globes in the cluster. Looks much better than stock illumination.

DSC_0437_-_Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Next I installed factory volume controls from a Euro BJII 323F. Worked a treat with the factory stereo!

DSC_0452_-_Copy.jpg

Installed footwall LED strips front and rear. Custom fabricated a bracket for the drivers side.

DSC_0428_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0430_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0442_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0445_-_Copy.jpg

These LED strips were wired with the dome light, so it comes on and fades out with the interior dome light. I also installed a separate remote switch so that I can turn the LED's on with the doors closed and dome light off. The LED module is remote controllable (brightness, changed to any colour, different flash modes, etc.) It's like having my own mobile nightclub! (flash)

The stereo system was next. An Andriod based 2 din, a 5 CH Alpine amp (under the passenger seat), Kicker 7"x5" splits up front. Kicker 6.5" rears and a Clarion 12" sub (soon to be Alpine 12") in a slimline box in the back. I did this the hard way. Full interior was striped, including the carpet! All wiring done properly. No short cuts taken. Well worth the trouble as I have zero issues with the sound quality. Crisp, clear and loud (enough).

Tweeters on the A pillars.

DSC_0447.jpg

DSC_0449.jpg

On start up, a 3D Mazda logo rotates. Ooh..fancy.. (shady)

DSC_0464.jpg

Everything lights up RED!

DSC_0467_-_Copy.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

Car is looking great! Love the tasteful mods you've done. What's the shift knob you have? Digging the lighted knob!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks 915_P5 and Taco Cat.

The Mazda MX-5 gearknob I got through a contact in the UK for a steal (2cents). It's from the UKDM Mazda MX-5 Mk3.5 facelift accessory catalogue. The piano black version is NLA apparently. A brushed aluminium version may still be available from Mazda UK. Fitting it on and getting it working as I wanted was a real task indeed (confused). Stock P5 shift shaft needed to be precisely modified for the gearknob wiring, connector and the 3 grub screws (to stop it spinning around and damaging the wiring). Stock shift boot also needed to be precisely modified for the wiring connector to come though the top. Gearknob was threaded to the stock P5 shift shaft. I had two options (according to Mazda UK) to begin with for the illumination. Option one was illuminated all the time with ignition on. Option 2 was illuminated at night when lights are on. But with both those options, the illumination at night was too bright for me. So I came up with option 3, which was a after market 12v LED DRL control module (eBay). Now it illuminates at full brightness only when engine is running, and at half brightness when the lights are on (night time). Perfect!! :D Works a treat with no issues so far.

JDM323J48, cabin filter is as per GF 626 (07/1997-08/2002). Same blower box. You need to cut out the blanked opening on the 323's blower box. Then get the necessary brackets from a GF 626 (the threaded bracket held on with 2 screws in the first pic, and the bottom seal bracket held on with a wing nut in the second pic). I got the brackets from a GF 626 wreck. Install instructions HERE. One of the easiest mod's you can do on a P5.

Colour coded reverse camera installed. Wiring routed alongside the factory wiring loom for the rear wiper so no extra holes drilled etc. Wiring exits under the roof liner and down the C pillar. Done as if it would have been if installed from factory.

DSC_06041.jpg

Camera is a cheapie eBay item, but I was very surprised with the quality of the projected image on the stereo. Very clear during day and night.

Last edited:
Have the same key on the p5, did you have to modify yours.

Yes, I just cut up the stock keyfob rubber pad and glued it on. Also had to file a tiny bit off the bottom corners of the factory remote PCB to make it fit inside the flip key case. Works great with no issues since.

The Mazda MX-5 gearknob I got through a contact in the UK for a steal (2cents). It's from the UKDM Mazda MX-5 Mk3.5 facelift accessory catalogue.
JDM323J48, cabin filter is as per GF 626 (07/1997-08/2002). Same blower box. You need to cut out the blanked opening on the 323's blower box. Then get the necessary brackets from a GF 626 (the threaded bracket held on with 2 screws in the first pic, and the bottom seal bracket held on with a wing nut in the second pic). I got the brackets from a GF 626 wreck. Install instructions HERE. One of the easiest mod's you can do on a P5.

Thankyou, being able to get the parts in Australia just made life much easier.

Got a pair of clear guard indicators. Lightly tinted them with VHT Nite-shades.

Found a brand new set of Eibach springs online for $200. Bargained a bit and got them for $175! (alright)
Installed the Eibach springs along with brand new KYB shocks and new sway bar links all round. Also replaced all spring seat rubbers with Monroe items. The top mounts were in good condition so left them. Changed the front top mount position to maximum positive caster. After all this, the change in handling was night and day.

BEFORE:
DSC_0303_-_Copy.jpg

AFTER:
DSC_03171.jpg

This is about as low as I can legally go in Australia. Would like to go a bit lower, but I don't want any attention from the PoPo. So she'll be at a legal height.

While I had the can of VHT Nite-shades in my hand, I decided to add a bit of 'eyeliner' to the rear taillights. Came out better than I thought. Really accents the lines of the lights. Got the idea from a red Mercedes AMG I was following one day.

BEFORE:
DSC_0381_-_Copy.jpg

AFTER:
DSC_0382_-_Copy.jpg

Added a HM/Perry axle back and painted the centre of the rear bumper gloss black.

DSC_0479_-_Copy.jpg

Swapped the rear 'Mazda' badge for a 'Madaz' badge (confused). Painted it black.

DSC_0481_-_Copy.jpg

Modified the rear centre Mazda logo into an Evil M badge.

DSC_04801.jpg

Cheers guys.

Had a couple of questions regarding the steering wheel mounted controls. It is a factory Mazda part. Was factory fitted to the Euro BJII 323F instead of the cruise control switch. It was never available with the factory Nardi steering wheel though. I custom made brackets, modified the steering wheel hub and shroud to fit the control switch onto the Nardi wheel. Made it look as if from factory. I then had to add wiring from the back of the clockspring to the factory radio harness/plug. Success! Had volume, select/seek and mode controls for the factory radio.
(alright)

When I installed the aftermarket Android head unit, the controls no longer worked!! (doh).
After a bit of head scratching and some research, I tried a steering wheel control primary adapter harness for a Mazda 6. It is plug and play, as the M6 also has the same radio plug as the 323. Bingo! Had volume controls again.
(mj)

This is the harness I used. Part no. CHMZ12C.
https://aerpro.com/vehicles/mazda/mazda_6_atenza_2002_2008_gg_gy

Back