Loud Exhaust, wondering a couple of things

t.a

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hello everyone, recently I bought a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege in sunburst yellow. It came with an aftermarket vibrant exhaust that drones like crazy, I wanted this car as a cool runabout so I want to fix it. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on a stock exhaust for a msp, someone told me it'd be ok to get a Protege 5 exhaust, it would fit up, but I'm concerned about back pressure hurting the engine. I'm not sure if there's an easy fix for this, but the steel wool in exhaust idea is not an option, are there any other ways to reduce volume and drone especially on the highway? Thanks.

You can get a resonator welded in, install a silencer or find a stock MSP muffler. The p5 mid pipe will fit but the axle back will not, it is too short for the sedan.

The MSP yellow color is called Blazing Yellow, welcome to the forum!

BTW you don't have to worry about back pressure 'hurting the engine', you may lose a few horsepower at worst.

I would just get a stock MSP axle back, it will be pretty quiet but still sporty. Definitely don't want a stock Protege muffler. Best solution would probably be to add a resonator or a silencer to the muffler

Interesting that your Vibrant drones like that. I had a Vibrant on my first MSP and it barely droned at all. The unknown 3" stainless exhaust on my current MSP is super loud in the car compared to my Vibrant. I've been hoping one day I could find another one like what I had. I wonder if yours is set up differently from the one I had.

Hello everyone, recently I bought a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege in sunburst yellow. It came with an aftermarket vibrant exhaust that drones like crazy, I wanted this car as a cool runabout so I want to fix it. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on a stock exhaust for a msp, someone told me it'd be ok to get a Protege 5 exhaust, it would fit up, but I'm concerned about back pressure hurting the engine. I'm not sure if there's an easy fix for this, but the steel wool in exhaust idea is not an option, are there any other ways to reduce volume and drone especially on the highway? Thanks.
If you are willing to sell the exhaust please let me know

Back