Value of 19" wheels

Consider that I purchased my new 2013 VW CC 2.0....partly because it looked good with the V6 model's wheels on it. It stood out from the rest of the other 2.0 model wheel designs. The V6 model from which they sourced the wheels from they installed 20 inch aftermarket wheels.

In essence any car salesman with an average sales IQ can leverage a Sport or Touring with 19inch GT wheels as an added incentive to sell it. Meaning it could be easier to sell. I mean haven't you guys ever seen 1 or 2 slightly modified models on the lot with decals, a lip kit, or aftermarket wheels?

Yes I have seen those cars with the dealer add ons. Typically I have seen that those are done to the "bad color" car that has been on the lot a long time. Or there is damage that leads to the add-ons such as new wheels to replace a curbed wheel, a front lip to cover that scraped front air dam, a sticker to cover that scratch, etc..

There are however a few dealers that do happen to do the dealer add-on mods right, and there are some that might also help with a wheel swap like shaendra is after, but they are few and far between.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the tips, y'all. This is a drawback to my style of ownership - I drive carefully and get LOTS of use out of tires, so deal with replacements so infrequently that I'm kind of a newb in that area.

So you buy tires somewhere... stupid question: how are they installed? I mean does a Firestone let you roll up with your own tires and they'll put them on, or...?

Yes, that is correct... Take the tires where you want or Tire rack will ship the tires to the installer for you...

Thanks so much for the tips, y'all. This is a drawback to my style of ownership - I drive carefully and get LOTS of use out of tires, so deal with replacements so infrequently that I'm kind of a newb in that area.

So you buy tires somewhere... stupid question: how are they installed? I mean does a Firestone let you roll up with your own tires and they'll put them on, or...?

Or, you can price shop on tirerack.com and then go to your local tire place and see if they can get them and match the make and price. Often times they can come pretty close if they don't match it.

I used to be tirerack.com loyal for 10+ years, until I found tirebuyer.com. Not only were they cheaper (and have $40-75 extra off coupons on top of that all the time), they have 1 day free delivery to an installer of your choice, and the install fee was great, $55 mounted and balanced to the local AAA if delivered there.

Haven't shopped for CX-5 tires yet, though...

Good luck...

⋯ So you buy tires somewhere... stupid question: how are they installed? I mean does a Firestone let you roll up with your own tires and they'll put them on, or...?
You're in Houston you can go to a reputable Discount Tire Store for your tire need. Most people would just use Tire Rack checking the price and availability of the tires. Discount Tire can get any tire you prefer and normally will do price match to Tire Rack and Costco. Costco is a good place for tires but most of them are too busy and the wait time is long.

Don't just look at the single tire price, you need to add many other fees such as mounting charge (if you get tires from Tire Rack)、life-time balance、puncture repair、valve stems (don't forget you have expensive pressure monitor in it for 2017)、disposal fee、and of course your sales tax. A set of good 19" tires easily to run you $800+, but 17" tires with the same quality can be $160+ cheaper for a set! :)

My dealer actually installed the Continentals I got from Tirerack without any questions. Money is money to them, they still get paid to mount them even if you didn't buy from them.

Just so I understand. You want the dealer to produce 17" tires out of thin air for you, then take the 19" tires off the car, which for all practical purposes might as well be rocks at that point, because they can't put those on a Sport and call the Sport new, and you want a discount. So, $500 for the 17" tires, a $500 discount for you and they have to get rid of a set of 19" tires? I guess if I were a dealer I'd do it if there were a $1,000 doc fee in the deal.

Why don't you see if you can get them to take out the moonroof and take $500 off too?

Now, there is one angle where I like this idea. You want to nickel and dime every last penny from them, and/or, make their lives living hell just because they are car salesmen. In that case, have at it.

Just so I understand. You want the dealer to produce 17" tires out of thin air for you, then take the 19" tires off the car, which for all practical purposes might as well be rocks at that point, because they can't put those on a Sport and call the Sport new, and you want a discount. So, $500 for the 17" tires, a $500 discount for you and they have to get rid of a set of 19" tires? I guess if I were a dealer I'd do it if there were a $1,000 doc fee in the deal.

Why don't you see if you can get them to take out the moonroof and take $500 off too?

Now, there is one angle where I like this idea. You want to nickel and dime every last penny from them, and/or, make their lives living hell just because they are car salesmen. In that case, have at it.

Dude, I was just ASKING, which is far from making a living hell out of anything. And no, not expecting them to pull tires out of thin air. I specifically asked them if they can swap them out - meaning, 17s that come off a T or S, and put the 19s on that. The salesman said he didn't know offhand, but would check with servicing. Big difference between changing a chassis component, and swapping wheels, which are MEANT to come off of a vehicle anyhow.

Calm your tits.

Last edited:
You're in Houston you can go to a reputable Discount Tire Store for your tire need. Most people would just use Tire Rack checking the price and availability of the tires. Discount Tire can get any tire you prefer and normally will do price match to Tire Rack and Costco. Costco is a good place for tires but most of them are too busy and the wait time is long.

Don't just look at the single tire price, you need to add many other fees such as mounting charge (if you get tires from Tire Rack)、life-time balance、puncture repair、valve stems (don't forget you have expensive pressure monitor in it for 2017)、disposal fee、and of course your sales tax. A set of good 19" tires easily to run you $800+, but 17" tires with the same quality can be $160+ cheaper for a set! :)

This is what I recommend vs purchasing tires at a local Discount Tires shop. I did this...

First I have eBates. If you guys purchase stuff online I recommend signing up. Its free and you get rebates back in which I think they send you a check or deposit into your paypal account.

I purchased my tires at https://www.discounttire.com/ .....not through discounttiredirect which is there sister site.

https://www.discounttire.com allows you to check stock in your local locations and schedule an appointment. That location will call you to verify your appointment and stock availability. Having the appointment set is like having VIP treatment in the mornings especially. Before they open there's a line that forms. You bypass all that assuming you're scheduled upon opening time.

At the time eBates approved a $42 or so rebate from my online purchase.

At the time Bridgestone had a $60 rebate gift card offer.

So in essence I saved money by double dipping on rebates, scheduled an appointment thus saving time, and had the tires installed at a shop which is from the same source as the seller.

I'm fine with a living hell for car salespeople. They do it to us, so have at it. I think this would be fun in that respect.

I used to work in the lumber industry although I'm a tech guy and still can't tell red from white oak. One of our problems is that guys would come in, want a price, then want to cherry-pick the best pieces leaving you with the junk. Nope, there's a price for you to pick the wood and there's a price for us to pick the wood. You reminded me of that.

But, seriously, torture away.

Calm your tits! Hahaha awesome- ok now I can continue..so yeah you can 100% roll up with tires to just about anywhere but if its a tire specific place like Mavis or Firestone they may bang you harder than normal for the M&B.. similar for a dealer which run 80-100 for 4. I go to a local shop who charges me 60 per swap..for reference.

Go to Tirerack.com (or whatever other site that does this), put in your Zip code. They will say "These are the installers we work with on your area". Ship right to them. Who wants to deal with getting tires shipped to your door? And then lugging those around?

Value of 19" wheels

Control freaks like me;)

Or people who can pick up rims and M&B tires, TPMS and all at one of Tirerack's warehouses. Save the shipping $.

I plan on getting 17" rims and snow tires that way in the fall. Will pick up on my way to my next oil change and have dealer "rotate" them on. They charge $20 to rotate & balance, so they can do the latter on the 19's, which will be ready for spring.

The first time I had tires delivered from TR I had them shipped direct to me. At my job. :D Big giant corporation downtown with a big mailroom. Phone rings... "Uh...Scott?" "Yea?" "Did you order... Tires? Shipped here?"
Yes! Can you take them to my car? 8 blocks away?

:D

I have no idea what the ride comfort will be (doubt I'd notice it anyhow)... just trying to avoid HAVING to pay for more expensive larger tires down the line.

May I ask why you want to downsize your wheels?

Ride comfort is always a personal preference.

Over here, they just did a mass comparison test between CX-5 models and this is what they said about 17" vs 19"

On the downside, the 19-inch wheels on low-profile Toyo tyres transmit more road imperfections into the cabin, making the Maxx, Maxx Sport and Tourings already firm ride a little jarring and unsettled at times, once you leave the nice smooth motorway.

The Maxx, Maxx Sport & Touring where on Yokohama Geolanders

Source of Quote: http://www.caradvice.com.au/538659/2017-mazda-cx-5-range-review/

You find the price with shipping on Tire Rack. Print it out and take it to Discount/Americas tire (or give them the url) and they will match the price. If they aren't in stock, they will order them for you. If you have a coupon or further discount, they'll stack it.

Or you could just click BUY, wait a week and go get your tires put on.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You find the price with shipping on Tire Rack. Print it out and take it to Discount/Americas tire (or give them the url) and they will match the price. If they aren't in stock, they will order them for you. If you have a coupon or further discount, they'll stack it.
Exactly! I prefer my Dicount Tire because they have one of the best and latest tire-mounting and balancing machines (so that my expensive OEM rims won't get scratched)、always use torque wrench (although I always re-check them afterwards)、and have nation-wide network so that I can have free flat repair or any warranty service almost everywhere! :)

Back