Value of 19" wheels

:
2017 SRC CX-5 GT + Premium
So I'm going to ask a dealer today to swap out the 19" for 17" wheels on a GT. Hopefully they will agree to that. I'd like to be prepared to ask for a discount on the GT then, but I'm having a hard time finding what the added value of the 19" wheels is, over the 17" ones. Anyone have leads on that?

So I'm going to ask a dealer today to swap out the 19" for 17" wheels on a GT. Hopefully they will agree to that. I'd like to be prepared to ask for a discount on the GT then, but I'm having a hard time finding what the added value of the 19" wheels is, over the 17" ones. Anyone have leads on that?

Good luck with that. As sharp as the larger wheels look, I prefer the ride-comfort of smaller rims/balloonier tires. I've made this request to several dealers of different brands and always gotten a hard no.

FWIW, I'm please with the ride on my 19" tires. My smoother than my wife's 17" tires on her RAV4.

Good luck with that. As sharp as the larger wheels look, I prefer the ride-comfort of smaller rims/balloonier tires. I've made this request to several dealers of different brands and always gotten a hard no.

FWIW, I'm please with the ride on my 19" tires. My smoother than my wife's 17" tires on her RAV4.

I have no idea what the ride comfort will be (doubt I'd notice it anyhow)... just trying to avoid HAVING to pay for more expensive larger tires down the line.

Thanks. How did you figure that up?

Just an educated guess. I mean if they were to sell a non GT model with those 19 inch wheels/tires they'd probably mark up no less than $500 as an add-on to its price sheet.

I think negotiating a $500 discount is reasonable.

I have no idea what the ride comfort will be (doubt I'd notice it anyhow)... just trying to avoid HAVING to pay for more expensive larger tires down the line.
Have you priced the difference between the 2 tire sizes?

I doubt you will find a dealer willing to do it. If so, there will be a charge not a discount... (pissed)

Now the dealer would have to deal with finding a person that wants that sport or touring with the big 19 wheels.

Last edited:

I doubt you will find a dealer willing to do it. If so, there will be a charge not a discount...

I agree. You're personalizing something to your taste and leaving them with the leftovers to find someone wanting a certain thing like yourself. No way should it imply a discount...

Just find someone who would be willing to trade.

i have a 16.5 sport and would've traded by 17s with cash for the 19s...

+1 to 'good luck w/that'.. I'd bet the farm on no discount and likely not willing to at even steven. I'm sure you can find someone willing to take your 19s in a swap- and maybe for +50-100 a piece..

+1 to 'good luck w/that'.. I'd bet the farm on no discount and likely not willing to at even steven. I'm sure you can find someone willing to take your 19s in a swap- and maybe for +50-100 a piece..

We'll see, lol. This is the same one telling me I can get Eternal Blue in Parchment, so...

Not really interested in doing a swap. I have no garage, so don't really have a place to keep a set of 19" wheels sitting around (nor do I have any equipment for changing them out myself)... not even a driveway to work on!

It's not a dealbreaker, I just am dreading how much more tire placement will be.

You are ONLY doing this to save money on replacement tires?!? Don't.

Go to Tirerack.com. Price out tires for a GT vs a T. There are so many choices there you can find prices are REALLY close.
19 GT: Good 19's $186 per
17 T: Good 17's $156 per

You are ONLY doing this to save money on replacement tires?!? Don't.

Go to Tirerack.com. Price out tires for a GT vs a T. There are so many choices there you can find prices are REALLY close.
19 GT: Good 19's $186 per
17 T: Good 17's $156 per

Whaaa? OK, never heard of tirerack.com, so I'll be bookmarking that. What was all the talk I've seen around here about $400 - $500 tires??

I doubt you will find a dealer willing to do it. If so, there will be a charge not a discount... (pissed)

Now the dealer would have to deal with finding a person that wants that sport or touring with the big 19 wheels.

Consider that I purchased my new 2013 VW CC 2.0....partly because it looked good with the V6 model's wheels on it. It stood out from the rest of the other 2.0 model wheel designs. The V6 model from which they sourced the wheels from they installed 20 inch aftermarket wheels.

In essence any car salesman with an average sales IQ can leverage a Sport or Touring with 19inch GT wheels as an added incentive to sell it. Meaning it could be easier to sell. I mean haven't you guys ever seen 1 or 2 slightly modified models on the lot with decals, a lip kit, or aftermarket wheels?

Never hurt to ask. But the new 2017 CX-5's are hot seller right now as they're brand new, dealers may not willing to do it. If no dealers is willing to do it, you may considet to get aftermarket 17" wheels, find older style CX-5 17" wheels from recycle yard, or get new set of softer and better 19" tires such as General AltiMAX RT43 to improve your ride comfort.

Whaaa? OK, never heard of tirerack.com, so I'll be bookmarking that. What was all the talk I've seen around here about $400 - $500 tires??

Whoever said that wasn't even close. You're looking around 650-700 for a set of 4 tires for a GT. The price difference is negligible.

I've got the 19's on my Mazda 6 and recently bought tires. Bridgstone Potenza Pole S4's. I want to say about $850ish installed at Discount Tires not including the $60 rebate gift card I'm waiting for. That said these are sticky summer tires with good rain grip. You'd probably want all-seasons on your CX-5.

OE 19" Toyo A23s were very pricey...new Toyo A36 are cheap..132/ea on tirerack...someone who's never heard of tirerack! That's may be the best thing you learn here haha kidding but I get most of my tires from them. Very well run operation, good pricing.

OE 19" Toyo A23s were very pricey...new Toyo A36 are cheap..132/ea on tirerack...someone who's never heard of tirerack! That's may be the best thing you learn here haha kidding but I get most of my tires from them. Very well run operation, good pricing.

Thanks so much for the tips, y'all. This is a drawback to my style of ownership - I drive carefully and get LOTS of use out of tires, so deal with replacements so infrequently that I'm kind of a newb in that area.

So you buy tires somewhere... stupid question: how are they installed? I mean does a Firestone let you roll up with your own tires and they'll put them on, or...?

Dealers are reluctant to mix and match features from one trim level to another. You want the GTs 19 wheels swapped to the Ts 17 wheels. I doubt a dealer will do it for you. Maybe they think itll cause warranty problems for Mazda if they allow it. Youll have to find an independent shop to change the wheels. And its not just wheels. I asked two dealers if the heated outside mirrors thats standard on the GT model can be swapped with the Touring models unheated outside mirrors. Both dealers said no.

Back