Need Advice: Dealer is suggesting differential fluid flush

:
Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring
Hey Guys,

My car is at 50,000 and the dealer says at this milage they suggest I get a differential fluid flush. Cost $169 What do you guys think is that just a standard suggestion, is it really neccassay? Is that a good price? What would you do? Thanks

I would never get a flush of anything. Drain and fill should be sufficient. Is this your first change of diff fluid? They usually recommend around 30k.
Honda has the first at around 15k to clean out any impurities then the rest are at apprx 30k intervals.

Oh my bad I misspoke he said change the differentail fluid I assumed it was a flush. I think I had it done once before just not sure when

According to the manual it isn't needed, however you will find varying opinions on doing it or not. By "it" I mean a drain and fill. I plan on doing ATF, transfer case, and differential fluid every 30K. I just don't buy into the lifetime fluid pitch.

It's really not hard to DIY if you're up to it. There's a long thread about it here. Note that different years have different fluid specs, so make sure you (or the dealer!) are using the right one.

I'd also ask doing drain-and-fill on transmission fluid in addition to front transfer case (did the dealer even mentioned this) and rear differential gear lub change. Depending on your driving condition, rear differential gear lub needs to be changed at 30,000-mile interval only in "severe conditions"; or hangs on both front transfer case and rear differential once your AWD system has been submerged in water. I personally would do both transmission and front transfer case/rear differential at the same interval.

BTW my '98 Honda CR-V AWD calls 90,000-mile/72-month change interval on both transmission and rear differential (no separate front transfer case as the function is built-in with transmission). No 15K early lub change required.

Hey Guys,

My car is at 50,000 and the dealer says at this milage they suggest I get a differential fluid flush. Cost $169 What do you guys think is that just a standard suggestion, is it really neccassay? Is that a good price? What would you do? Thanks

$169 for a 10 minute job? I hope that they at least give you a lil kiss after that screwing.

Hey Guys,

$169 is a serious rip off... it's so easy you can do it yourself, see link for instructions......''

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123850370-Rear-Diff-and-Transfer-Case-Fluid-Change-tools-parts-and-links

they are right though you should change both front transfer case and rear differential (AWD only) @ 50,000 if you've never had it done. BUT $169 is way too much for a 10 minute job.

I just changed front and rear diff fluid this morning on my GX... I can only imagine the reaming the Lexus dealer gives people for that service.

I just changed front and rear diff fluid this morning on my GX... I can only imagine the reaming the Lexus dealer gives people for that service.
Are they more difficult or less than CX-5's?

Rear is fairly easy... front isn't hard but you have to remove a couple metal skid plates so it is more difficult in that regard. The plastic shield is much easier to remove on the CX-5 from the weight perspective alone. I had the vehicle on all 4s up on Rhino ramps but used a jack stand to support the skid plates as I removed them. As with the Mazda.... rear diff was stock low and front diff was right on for fluid levels. This vehicle has a transfer case using the most expensive fluid I have ever purchased @ around $50/quart. I had to buy two and it even comes in an old school metal can. I couldn't find anyone offering alternatives including Amsoil. PT transfer cases there are options but with FT Torsen AWD too much doubt with discussions I found. I know a lot but probably won't change again for 5+ years.

transferoil.jpg

⋯ This vehicle has a transfer case using the most expensive fluid I have ever purchased @ around $50/quart. I had to buy two and it even comes in an old school metal can.
Some people may have never seen those old school metal can for engine oil and ATF ⋯ :) But $50 per can? Well at least you got a little more from a "liter" can! But I'd stay with OEM Toyota Transfer Gear Oil LF 75W even though it's pricy! Do you use the same or different gear oil for rear differential?

Always wonder how do people drive up a heavy SUV like your GX onto 4 Rhino ramps?! (uhm)

I was able to use standard 75W-90 Amsoil for the front and rear diff. The GX takes 3 quarts in the rear diff and 1.5 in the front. As for driving up the ramps... very carefully.. actually I had my wife guide me up and I also did it while vehicle's AWD system was in 4-LOW. There is enough ground clearance with adjustable rear suspension to slip the ramps under all 4 corners. Ramps are rated beyond the load I put on them. That being said I'm always extra cautious and leveraged the use of a couple jack stands while I was under vehicle for extra safety.

10157441_rhi_11909_pri_larg.jpg

Some people may have never seen those old school metal can for engine oil and ATF ⋯ :) But $50 per can? Well at least you got a little more from a "liter" can! But I'd stay with OEM Toyota Transfer Gear Oil LF 75W even though it's pricy! Do you use the same or different gear oil for rear differential?

Always wonder how do people drive up a heavy SUV like your GX onto 4 Rhino ramps?! (uhm)

I was able to use standard 75W-90 Amsoil for the front and rear diff. The GX takes 3 quarts in the rear diff and 1.5 in the front. As for driving up the ramps... very carefully.. actually I had my wife guide me up and I also did it while vehicle's AWD system was in 4-LOW. There is enough ground clearance with adjustable rear suspension to slip the ramps under all 4 corners. Ramps are rated beyond the load I put on them. That being said I'm always extra cautious and leveraged the use of a couple jack stands while I was under vehicle for extra safety.
So you raised adjustable rear suspension in order to slip 2 ramps under the chassis for rear tires to drive up. That's very convenient. Availability of 4WD-Low gear selection helped too! And your GX has good-old front differential、transfer case、and rear differential setup! It's a true SUV! :)

The oil is around $18-25 for both xfer cases. Per my change, there is no need to replace it at 50K unless you do some crazy driving and/or towing.

Will it hurt? No. $169 - it is your dough to decide.

Back