CX-5 Towing Report

I tow my '14 boat with CX-5.... does well

IMG_26371.jpg

Nice looking boat, that Lund!

I still cant get over the continued use of rivets in the US aluminium boats - something we have not seen here in Aus since the early 1970's. All welded since then.

My second boat is a smaller 4.3m tinny for rivers and lakes. CX5 hardly knows it is behind there.

Re the discussion about towing limits, the law here in Aus says that the limit is whatever the car manufacturer sets, except that any trailer weighing over 750kgs must have over-ride brakes fitted and operating. All trailers over 2000 kg must also have brakes on all axles and a breakaway system fitted. Tow bars are also rated.

Last edited:
Thanks!! Yeah.. not sure what is better... like I said earlier in thread my dad's '74 Lund still doesn't leak. The only work he has ever needed was on his other boat... a welded river sled which has needed it's share of heliarch welding over the years to fix leaks. Not sure if that is the current method to weld aluminum. I hear Lunds are used extensively in Alaska.... I didn't really need to research much.. my dad's currently owned and used 42 year old example was all I needed :)

Pulsed MiG is now the accepted best practice standard here for alloy welding in boat construction. The grade of alloy used is just as important.

Ive got no doubt the riveted approach works, it just looks odd to me! DeHavilland was the last manufacturer to use that construction approach here.

Anyway, we digress!!

The CX5 is a very capable tow vehicle for anything within its designated towing capacity. Here, Mazda sets a trailer weight and towball downforce limit.

I thought everyone was now using no nails. ;)

Certainly some uk caravans are now glued together, using methods borrowed from the aero and car industries.

I tow my H&H utility trailer(980 lbs per manufacturer) with my X590 John Deere lawnmower with 54" deck(805 lbs plus 154 lbs for deck). Combined weight of about 1950 with fuel and so forth. Handles it with no problems. I do use sport mode shifting manually(which helps a lot on the highway). I think it actually pulls it better than the '16 Toyota 4Runner we have. It still gets about 19-21 MPG towing at highway speeds(65-80 mph). Tow at least 3x week as I have a lawn care business on the side. My only complaint is-HITCH NOISE. Don't hear any hitch noise on the 4Runner.

Pulsed MiG is now the accepted best practice standard here for alloy welding in boat construction. The grade of alloy used is just as important.

Ive got no doubt the riveted approach works, it just looks odd to me! DeHavilland was the last manufacturer to use that construction approach here.

Anyway, we digress!!

The CX5 is a very capable tow vehicle for anything within its designated towing capacity. Here, Mazda sets a trailer weight and towball downforce limit.

Speakin of MiG the MiG 25and 31 have a completely welded center section

I ordered something similar to that from etrailer.com. Gonna try it this week when I pull it. I also have to get my trimmer racks mounted on my trailers...tired of my CX-5 smelling like gas and grass all the time!

For hitch noise I use these:

http://www.hitchrider.com/nowobble.htm

I actually mount mine with bolt heads on top versus side on video. Really keeps things tight and no noise back there.

Update on the towing report for me-I recently traded the X590 mower for a larger X738 4WD model. It weighs about 250 lbs more and I also carry Stihl straight-shaft trimmer, Stihl blower, and Stihl straight-shaft edger all the time. So combined weight for all the gear with trailer, mower, and Stihl equipment are probably close to 2350 # or so. I can definitely feel the difference in a bit of hitch weight. It still pulls it just fine as it did prior. When it comes to snow season...I will be pulling the mower and blade plus 260 LBS of rear weight.

So, the consensus is that the transmission is OK with towing?

Last edited:
I was also wondering about this, because the Mazda guys at the dealership said the CX-5 was capable of towing around 3500 lbs. but the manual says 2000 lbs.

So from the sound of it, lots of people are towing in excess of 2000 lbs. with no issues in other parts of the world; so I should be good buy a little camper trailer, even if it's a little heavier than 2000 lbs.

Back