How does Auto Hold work?

OK, I have a silly question. I like auto hold and auto electronic brake but does using them cause your brakes to wear out faster? I ask that because as you pull off from auto hold or auto brake there must be some friction before they are released by the program and the sensor in the car.

If it did wear out brakes quicker then no manufacturer would have this feature.

My guess it has negligible impact

OK, I have a silly question. I like auto hold and auto electronic brake but does using them cause your brakes to wear out faster? I ask that because as you pull off from auto hold or auto brake there must be some friction before they are released by the program and the sensor in the car.

The car knows the brakes are on and I assume the gas pedal is just a signal, fly-by-wire. There's no reason it has to load up the brakes before releasing unless it wants to.

Auto hold just applies hydraulic pressure. When you touch the gas, the pressure releases. No friction involved.

I would say they is resistance setting off when using the ELB, which is an mechanical device electrically operated. Reason I rarely use auto release.

Friction material wears with heat. Unless they are already hot, no measurable wear will take place by driving off from stationary. Even if they are hot, we are talking about maybe an eighth of a revolution before the brake is fully released.

With regard to the operation of the EPB, it has to be released retrospectively otherwise it might allow the vehicle to roll. It does no harm whatsoever but the effect of dragging can be reduced by taking your time.

Keep in mind that the Auto hold feature only works on and incline or decline, it won't hold the car on a level surface.

Keep in mind that the Auto hold feature only works on and incline or decline, it won't hold the car on a level surface.
Umm yes it does hold a vehicle on a level surface such as on a normal road at a set of traffic lights

Autohold works great on level ground and slopes.
You may be confusing autohold with hill launch assist. HLA works when the car is facing uphill and is in D, downhill when the car is in R. But it only prevents the car from moving in the wrong direction when you take your foot off the pedal [when not using autohold].

Where did you get this information? My auto-hold holds the car on every type of road surface I've tried it on. Which is to say, mostly in drive-thrus and traffic lights, on flat surfaces. Lol.

Mazda has hill launch assist but I am unsure if it has the opposite version to prevent it from going down a hill (scratch)

Last edited:
Where did you get this information? My auto-hold holds the car on every type of road surface I've tried it on. Which is to say, mostly in drive-thrus and traffic lights, on flat surfaces. Lol.

Sorry.......yeah, misread the info on it. I saw in the manual that it's disabled on a flat surface, I didn't see the part where it says it's disabled on a flat surface....if you're in reverse.

I don't use autohold to much, even around LA. I feel like the car kind of lurches a bit to get out of being held. Come to think of it, I had actually forgotten my ride even had the feature.

I don't use autohold to much, even around LA. I feel like the car kind of lurches a bit to get out of being held. Come to think of it, I had actually forgotten my ride even had the feature.
During 12 days of driving on a 2017 CX-5 loaner, I had exactly the same feeling towards Auto Hold. I'm not sure it's Mazda's thing or not, but when I rode a 2010 BMW 520D with the same feature, I didn't feel any slight lurches while the car was started moving.

During 12 days of driving on a 2017 CX-5 loaner, I had exactly the same feeling towards Auto Hold. I'm not sure it's Mazda's thing or not, but when I rode a 2010 BMW 520D with the same feature, I didn't feel any slight lurches while the car was started moving.

I dont have a real reason to use mine, but the few times i have tried it, there was no lurching.

Back