2017 GT AWD - High Pitch Noise - Transmission?

I really didn't hear anything but air on that one....
Ah, I can definitely hear it, but it's certainly not "loud". Low volume, high frequency. As mentioned, taking it to dealer Thursday.

I'm already subscribed to the notion the dealer won't be able to replicate. With that said, the Mazda6 thread referenced disclosed some users having success with lubricating the axle seals. I will try that if the dealer comes up blank, but what is a safe lubricant to use? I don't want to douse the new car, just troubleshoot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ah, I can definitely hear it, but it's certainly not "loud". Low volume, high frequency. As mentioned, taking it to dealer Thursday.

I'm already subscribed to the notion the dealer won't be able to replicate. With that said, the Mazda6 thread referenced disclosed some users having success with lubricating the axle seals. I will try that if the dealer comes up blank, but what is a safe lubricant to use? I don't want to douse the new car, just troubleshoot.

You can use a silicone spray, CRC makes one available at any Walmart, it's quite slippery and dries within seconds. I wish I would've tried that or at least have known about it because the sound really did sound like a squealing dry rubber on metal sound, not like a whining noise that the TSB addresses. I thought it was a dragging brake or maybe a piece of loose trim that the air was whistling through, never suspected the transmission at the time.

Took it in, and of course, they cannot replicate. I asked if they could look at it on a lift, and they also noticed nothing abnormal.

I guess only hope is a future TSB.

You can use a silicone spray, CRC makes one available at any Walmart, it's quite slippery and dries within seconds. I wish I would've tried that or at least have known about it because the sound really did sound like a squealing dry rubber on metal sound, not like a whining noise that the TSB addresses. I thought it was a dragging brake or maybe a piece of loose trim that the air was whistling through, never suspected the transmission at the time.

Madar, is this stuff safe to spray anywhere? In other words, I'm not mechanic, but I want to trouble shoot on my own. There are several components coming out of the front transaxle and rear differential...just don't know which I'm supposed to be aiming for lol.

I'd look for the axle shafts connected to the front wheels that goes into the transmission. Might have to take a wheel off to get a small squirt to where the shaft goes into the transmission.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it's perhaps the fuel system. Maybe the fuel pump. In my other car, I can hear the faint whine of the fuel pump at idle. Not sure if this is something that would become noisier at 25 MPH in the CX-5, though.

Took it in, and of course, they cannot replicate. I asked if they could look at it on a lift, and they also noticed nothing abnormal.

I guess only hope is a future TSB.

You mean they couldn't hear it or it didn't do it? Blimey, mine makes a bit of a whine and always has. I like it

You mean they couldn't hear it or it didn't do it? Blimey, mine makes a bit of a whine and always has. I like it
I mean they couldn't hear it. I'm not sure what it is. It's not temperature dependent. All I know is I can hear it after about 30 MPH. It's faint, but it's there. Sounds like a bearing somewhere...engine, transmission, wheel. Oddly, I cannot hear it with windows rolled down. Or, at least, the wind is louder.

I guess the best I can do is keep an eye on the forum to see if others have it. My thought is that it would be rare for anything mass produced to have an issue in an isolated occurrence.

It doesn't bother my wife, so maybe I should stop investigating :).

Looks like I can contribute to a (rare?) case of transmission-related high pitch noise for my 2017 AWD CX-5.

I had a separate thread (https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123862808-Hissing-noise-at-40-mph-for-2017-CX-5) on my noise issue, and just got the update from the dealer that the high pitch whistling noise when the car is above 40mph is coming from the transmission. Mazda corporate has already given the authorization for a transmission replacement, and it'll take ~2 weeks for parts delivery and installation.

Back