2017 GT AWD - High Pitch Noise - Transmission?

CLN

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD Premium
Originally posted in the Lounge, but thought it would be more appropriate here:

Have a 2017 GT AWD with 200 miles on it. Today, I noticed a high frequency ringing noise starting at about 20 MPH. It does not change with throttle (can be on or off) or brakes (on or off). This is with the stereo and A/C off. It's also not tire noise.

There is an absolute pit in my stomach that this could be a transmission issue similar to the prior gen:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123855778-2016-CX-5-has-High-pitched-noise

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123848265-New-transmission-at-32k-Miles

My wife is so thrilled with the car and she heard it as well. Ugh. Anyone else?

I'd have the exhaust system checked. Could be a hanger touching another piece of metal and the vibration is causing a resonance.
Have seen this happen before.

Try spraying some silicone spray where the axle shafts come out of the transmission. I saw somewhere else on here where it ended up being a noisy trans seal, but in the end it's a dealer/warranty issue.

⋯ Have a 2017 GT AWD with 200 miles on it. Today, I noticed a high frequency ringing noise starting at about 20 MPH. It does not change with throttle (can be on or off) or brakes (on or off). This is with the stereo and A/C off. It's also not tire noise.
Most transmission issues with "dog-whistle" noise on CX-5 is from earlier MYs where the front input shaft bearing is the culprit. Transmission problems on later MYs mostly are delayed shift. If you say it's "ringing" noise I'd agree with wlong01 that it could be from exhaust system. Yeah you should go to dealer and have them check it out although I understand it's a hassle especially it's for a brand new car! And dealer or Mazda North American Operations may not be willing to do anything on exhaust system based on ctbale's experience! (boom08)

Strange Engine Vibration/resonance noise at 2300 RPM

Most transmission issues with "dog-whistle" noise on CX-5 is from earlier MYs where the front input shaft bearing is the culprit. Transmission problems on later MYs mostly are delayed shift. If you say it's "ringing" noise I'd agree with wlong01 that it could be from exhaust system. Yeah you should go to dealer and have them check it out although I understand it's a hassle especially it's for a brand new car! And dealer or Mazda North American Operations may not be willing to do anything on exhaust system based on ctbale's experience! (boom08)

Where did you get this information from about the input shaft bearing?

Where did you get this information from about the input shaft bearing?
I've seen a full description of this TSB 05-004/14 about whining noise from transmission. The TSB stated the cause is from the front input shaft bearing and since then the front casing has been modified and strengthened to hold the bearing better I suppose.

View attachment m0500414.pdf
I've seen a full description of this TSB 05-004/14 about whining noise from transmission. The TSB stated the cause is from the front input shaft bearing and since then the front casing has been modified and strengthened to hold the bearing better I suppose.
I see no mention of front input shaft bearing in this TSB, only mentions remedy is full transmission replacement.

View attachment m0500414.pdf

View attachment 216518
I see no mention of front input shaft bearing in this TSB, only mentions remedy is full transmission replacement.

View attachment 216518
The TSB you attached is either simplified version or newer version as there're several versions of this TSB associated to the same whining noise issue. I did some search here but couldn't find any more details. I remember this clearly because I was concerned about transmission issue while we're shopping for our CX-5 until I saw Mazda did strengthen the front casing for the fix.

I remember a member named Skorpio saying it might be a front shaft bearing, but saw no document saying so. That's why I asked you how you came across this. My feeling is that Mazda had these sent in under this TSB, but the TSB itself didn't accurately portray my issue or others who experienced this. I saw a mention of a bearing issue in a TSB description, but not the front input shaft bearing specifically. I'd still like to know what was wrong with the one they sent back out of my '14.

Thanks. Not sure if "ring" is right descriptor...more of a higher frequency, low volume. A couple ticks on the volume knob will drown it out. It's not loud by any means, but when I get new cars, I'm very keen on noises, rattles, etc.

Again, not throttle dependent. Occurs from about 20 MPH to 50 when wind and road noise beat it out in volume.

I'm trying to tread carefully here and not obsess. It's my wife's first new car and she LOVES it. I don't want to be going to the dealer, raising her concerns, etc before the first car payment! Maybe in a month or so when I have a day off, I can track it down with the dealer.

Thanks. Not sure if "ring" is right descriptor...more of a higher frequency, low volume. A couple ticks on the volume knob will drown it out. It's not loud by any means, but when I get new cars, I'm very keen on noises, rattles, etc.

Again, not throttle dependent. Occurs from about 20 MPH to 50 when wind and road noise beat it out in volume.

I'm trying to tread carefully here and not obsess. It's my wife's first new car and she LOVES it. I don't want to be going to the dealer, raising her concerns, etc before the first car payment! Maybe in a month or so when I have a day off, I can track it down with the dealer.

Does it sound like this in video ? I had it too on brand new 2016.5 CX-5 , it eventually went away by itself,

I think new parts just breaking in, or need to clean brake pads / rotors

Last edited:
Does it sound like this in video ? I had it too on brand new 2016.5 CX-5 , it eventually went away by itself,

I think new parts just breaking in, nothing to worry about.

Appreciate the response. That's definitely not the noise. Yours was much more variable and a squeal. Mine is a constant, doesn't vary. Good point about break-in, though. Definitely will run it through its paces before I take it in.

Also, I can't hear it with windows down, the wind will simply drown it out.

Figured out the best descriptor of the noise:

737 while taxiing before take off.

The sound of the jet engines before they go full throttle. Obviously, much quieter. 20 - 50 MPH (at which point road and wind noise can drown it out.

wlong01 is likely correct on tracking this noise. It sounds exhaust related and most likely being produced by a loose hardware piece in the exhaust ducting and/or an associated noise reduction/heat shield apparatus. If you can go to "Joe's garage" and hoist it, a thorough visual and hands thumping type inspection should isolate your noisy piece of hardware (screw, washer, nut, bolt or hanger segment).

I remember a member named Skorpio saying it might be a front shaft bearing, but saw no document saying so. That's why I asked you how you came across this. My feeling is that Mazda had these sent in under this TSB, but the TSB itself didn't accurately portray my issue or others who experienced this. I saw a mention of a bearing issue in a TSB description, but not the front input shaft bearing specifically. I'd still like to know what was wrong with the one they sent back out of my '14.
Found it!

Whining Noise From Automatic Transaxle 2012-2014 Mazda

Whining Noise From Automatic Transaxle 2012-2014 Mazda
oemdtc February 27, 2016 Repair Tips

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2013-2014 CX-5 (SKYACTIV A/T) with VINS lower than JM3KE2BE3E0415164 (produced before November 11, 2013)

Whining noise from the automatic transaxle when driving at 10 mph and above.

The noise:
Depends on the vehicles speed only (the more speed, the more noise)
Occurs with all types of driving (acceleration, deceleration, steady speed)
Does not depend on rpm, gear, or ATF temperature

This is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case.

A modification has now been implemented on automatic transaxles with the serial number 3TR1111680 and higher or 3TD1104906 and higher.

The serial number can be found on top of the transaxle case near the manual shaft lever.

serial number can be found on top of the transaxle case near the manual shaft lever

The following table shows how to decifer the serial number. Example 3TR1111680 is Nov 2013 production.

This could be anything, something small or something big, maybe nothing at all. Why wait? Get it checked out.

I'm aware of this, but it doesn't implicate the INPUT SHAFT BEARING, just makes reference to a bearing. Could be an axle shaft bearing or anything else in there. I'm looking for specific causes here. I guess I'll try Mazda and try to find out the specifics. There should be some kind of answer. I appreciate your effort, though.
Yeah I assumed it's front input shaft bearing as this's more common problem for transmissions from my knowledge. For CX-5 we have front differential built-in with transmission (transaxle); and for AWD CX-5 there's an additional output shaft (before front differential) connected to front transfer case. So the output shaft can be one or two from transmission point of view and they are different between FWD and AWD. The replacemrnt parts in TSB listed both version of transmissions, hence I believe the culprit is front input shaft bearing as they are the same design and use the same part between FWD and AWD transmissions, which caused the same whining noise.

I'll be curious to see, as more members acquire 2017s, if anyone else notices this noise. I was doing some digging and found a Mazda6 thread that described the noise best. Also, a member uploaded a clip that I thought displayed the noise that I have:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-hedman/whine

I have an appointment on Thursday to have it looked at.

I'll be curious to see, as more members acquire 2017s, if anyone else notices this noise. I was doing some digging and found a Mazda6 thread that described the noise best. Also, a member uploaded a clip that I thought displayed the noise that I have:

https://soundcloud.com/dave-hedman/whine

I have an appointment on Thursday to have it looked at.

I really didn't hear anything but air on that one....

Back