6mt "rubberiness"?

ruby.w

:
too numerous to name...
Hi all,

I've noticed that there's a certain amount of "rubberiness" in the linkage of my 2013 MZ5 6MT, especially with vertical motion. Overall the gearbox is still easy to shift precisely, it just feels as though there's not as solid of a connection. What's the wisdom - bushings, cables?

On the other hand, a drain and refill with Redline MTL (75w80 gl4, meets the factory fluid spec) has really made the synchros feel better. Before they'd push and clunk into gear at times, now they "snick" very nicely, and you can even feel the triple cones syncing up in second once in a while. I think the previous owner put in 75w90 and it really did not shift as easily as it does now.

Ruby

I put a JBR shift plate in my '12 and it made a world of difference. The cables are still good on mine at 176k so I doubt that's the problem. Let us know what you find!

Hi ruby.w, at the risk of hijacking the thread, have you tried any other fluid than the Redline? I also have a '13 with the 6MT. I've bought some of the Ford stuff that a lot of the Mazda guys swear by, but on newer cars it seems to not work as well, so I'm thinking of returning it in favor of some Redline instead. How is the MTL in colder temperatures? Judging by your location I think we have much different definitions of "cold" though :D

Back