2018 MPG - FWD and AWD Models

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 GT
We own both a 2013 Mazda CX5 and a 2015 Subaru Outback. I'm not quite in the market, but I do like the new 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Many of us have noticed the change in MPG rating. What surprises me is the diff between CX5 FWD and other AWD models. Comparing like for like (in terms of engine) the 2018 Subaru Forester gets better mileage than the 2018 Mazda CX5 FWD.

I'm sure the quality of the interior and the additional electronics are better in the Mazda vs the Subaru, but Mazda should consider adding i-eloop or i-stop for US buyers. I guess this will work it's way out when the 2nd gen SkyActiv engines are released but the release dates have not been announced and have slipped from the initial announcement.

What have you heard on 2nd gen SkyActiv?

Do you think Mazda will take a hit in sales from Subaru AWD vehicles offering better MPG?

Attachments

• FWD-AWD-MILEAGE.JPG
    FWD-AWD-MILEAGE.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 214
Where do you live that the 2018's are out? Or are you from the future? Have the given the new Crosstrek a bigger motor? I test drove the 2017 and it's...slow. It also doesn't compete with the CX-5. It's much closer to the CX-3.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Where do you live that the 2018's are out? Or are you from the future? Have the given the new Crosstrek a bigger motor? I test drove the 2017 and it's...slow. It also doesn't compete with the CX-5. It's much closer to the CX-3.

LOL, I guess reading comprehension takes some practice. :)

Check out the attachment to the EPA ratings. You can go to the site and compare 2017 if it makes you more comfortable.

Also, I did not compare the Crosstrek to the CX5. I mentioned that I liked the new Crosstrek but made the comparison of the Mazda CX5 to the Subaru Forester.

...but the Subaru is what a second or so slower and has a CVA tranny so epa changes etc notwithstanding..there's your answer. Please don't sell out for +2 mpgs Mazda!!

Yes there is no 2018 CX-5 yet...however next year there will be, and it will have an optional diesel motor.

Right now it is the 2017 that is all-new and just released.

After the oil consumption problems with our 2012 impreza Subaru will never sell me another car.Burned oil from the start.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

...but the Subaru is what a second or so slower and has a CVA tranny so epa changes etc notwithstanding..there's your answer. Please don't sell out for +2 mpgs Mazda!!

0-60 is not a very important factor on these CUVs as they would be on a performance car.

I do think the Mazda quality is higher with interior, but, Mazda can't let up on the MPG. My 2013 was rated higher than the outgoing Hybrid Escape, it's a big selling point for Mazda.

Be nice. I was going for humor. (eekdance) <---Love that guy

Check out the attachment to the EPA ratings. You can go to the site and compare 2017 if it makes you more comfortable.

What the ?!?!?! Why is Subaru releasing 2018 numbers? Why is Subaru... ANNOUNCUNG THE 2018 CROSSTREK (<----that's a link)in MAY 2017? What's up with that?

To answer your question, I don't think Mazda buyers #1 priority is MPG, so I seriously doubt Subrau's MPG will have any effect on sales.

The new XTrex has "Active Torque Vectoring"... hmm... that sounds familiar.

Last edited:

Also, I did not compare the Crosstrek to the CX5. I mentioned that I liked the new Crosstrek but made the comparison of the Mazda CX5 to the Subaru Forester.

Lol, I guess writing coherent, easy to read post also takes time and practice. But it can't be taught to folks who've stopped learning.

Back to your point - If you have somehow sneaked into Japan and gotten hold of a 2018 CX-5 and test driven it per EPA standards and documented your findings - then good. Otherwise there is no CX-5 2018 at this point. It has no corresponding EPA either. Chances are Mazda will fine tune it - gain an mpg or two, even lower chances are Skyactiv 2 will come in 2018.
2nd - If you are going to be buying a car for 1-2 mpg gain (on paper) - I wouldn't put you in the "Smart Cookie" jar.
Case in point: New CRV has very good city mpg - all reviews on the interwebs give it a 20-21 mpg in city versus 26 (its EPA). Similarly in certain driving styles - the CX-5 hits 30 mpg combined. So see what you will be using it for and read the opinions here. At the end of the day a 2 mpg difference pales in comparison to features you want or care for.

What the ?!?!?! Why is Subaru releasing 2018 numbers? Why is Subaru... ANNOUNCUNG THE 2018 CROSSTREK (<----that's a link)in MAY 2017? What's up with that?

To answer your question, I don't think Mazda buyers #1 priority is MPG, so I seriously doubt Subrau's MPG will have any effect on sales.

Uk Kuga had that some years ago.

Lol, I guess writing coherent, easy to read post also takes time and practice. But it can't be taught to folks who've stopped learning.
LOL. Sounds like you'll be at that learning for a while! :)

Back to your point - If you have somehow sneaked into Japan and gotten hold of a 2018 CX-5 and test driven it per EPA standards and documented your findings - then good. Otherwise there is no CX-5 2018 at this point. It has no corresponding EPA either. Chances are Mazda will fine tune it - gain an mpg or two, even lower chances are Skyactiv 2 will come in 2018.
I'm not the EPA so I nor the EPA "sneaked into Japan" to test them. I agree with you on the SkyActiv 2, I do not think it will be here in 2018.

2nd - If you are going to be buying a car for 1-2 mpg gain (on paper) - I wouldn't put you in the "Smart Cookie" jar.
Case in point: New CRV has very good city mpg - all reviews on the interwebs give it a 20-21 mpg in city versus 26 (its EPA). Similarly in certain driving styles - the CX-5 hits 30 mpg combined. So see what you will be using it for and read the opinions here. At the end of the day a 2 mpg difference pales in comparison to features you want or care for.

We both won't be in the smart cookie jar then. :) EPA is a good base starting point but I think we all realize from the VW scandal it's an easy test to cheat. My 2013 has surpassed the EPA numbers, the 2017 CRV has a tough time meeting those numbers.

What do 2017 FWD owners say on their real-world mileage?

You're my favorite poster because you give as good as you take....don't stop now! (direct)(attn)

Agreed on Mazda driver priorities, the driving feel and sportiness is probably the top reason to buy a Mazda. However, FWD mileage that is the same or worse than a competitor's AWD mileage needs to be addressed. Mazda specifically stated they wanted to achieve efficiency without going hybrid. Mazda has invested in lighter chassis and DI to that end, while still maintaining sportiness.

Last edited:
We own both a 2013 Mazda CX5 and a 2015 Subaru Outback. I'm not quite in the market, but I do like the new 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Many of us have noticed the change in MPG rating. What surprises me is the diff between CX5 FWD and other AWD models. Comparing like for like (in terms of engine) the 2018 Subaru Forester gets better mileage than the 2018 Mazda CX5 FWD.

I'm sure the quality of the interior and the additional electronics are better in the Mazda vs the Subaru, but Mazda should consider adding i-eloop or i-stop for US buyers. I guess this will work it's way out when the 2nd gen SkyActiv engines are released but the release dates have not been announced and have slipped from the initial announcement.

What have you heard on 2nd gen SkyActiv?

Do you think Mazda will take a hit in sales from Subaru AWD vehicles offering better MPG?

Gen 1 SkyActiv has issues, and you are interested in Gen 2 using even more untested technologies (smash)

You remember 2010? Like, the 2012 GT500 was already out, ROFL!

After the oil consumption problems with our 2012 impreza Subaru will never sell me another car.Burned oil from the start.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So even when they use a completely different motor, you won't buy it? Emotional.

Know what's crazy? Co-worker of mine used to have a 350Z, and she likes her Crosstrek because of the handling. I kid you not. She told me these words. I really want to drive her CT, or have her drive my CX5, because I honestly can't see it, but then, I can't see why people think the CX5 is fast, either, so...

Back