Special Order

apa1128

:
2015 BMW 328xi Sport
Hello,

First post here. Was wondering if anyone had placed a special order on the new CX-5 to get the car loaded exactly how you want it. If so, how long is the production, and how was the pricing? In the past when I have ordered a BMW, it was fairly below cost.
Thanks!

I inquired about special ordering early on....was told there is a 9-12 week lead time. In reality I don't think its necessary unless you want a stripped down model. I read somewhere that a high percentage of CX-5's sold are the GT model and it seems to me that many of the models on dealer lots are the GT flavor.

I inquired about special ordering early on....was told there is a 9-12 week lead time. In reality I don't think its necessary unless you want a stripped down model. I read somewhere that a high percentage of CX-5's sold are the GT model and it seems to me that many of the models on dealer lots are the GT flavor.

This is true, but in all of Houston over the past couple weeks, I have only seen a listing for 1 or 2 GT's with the Preferred Equipment Package. So... yeah, I'll probably have to "special order" one, to get the colors I want with the HUD.

This is true, but in all of Houston over the past couple weeks, I have only seen a listing for 1 or 2 GT's with the Preferred Equipment Package. So... yeah, I'll probably have to "special order" one, to get the colors I want with the HUD.

Prefered equipment package is a MUST....IMHO

First, a dealer checks to see if a matching car is available at his dealership or on its way to his dealership. If not, hell check to see if its at another Mazda dealership within a certain mileage radius and whether it can be traded to him. If not, the car will have to be ordered. The sales person told me it would take about 8 to 12 weeks. Not bad considering that I had to wait 4 months for a new Nissan 300ZX turbo. He also told me about half of the CX-5s sent over here are 50% Grand Touring, 45% Touring, and 5% Sport. When you order a car, your order does not get sent to Mazdas assembly plant in Japan. Its too long a distance between Japan and the U.S. to send your order there. Instead, youre really waiting for a car to roll off the ship that matches what you asked for in trim level, drive train, exterior color, interior color, and option package. Accessories are installed at the port city or at the dealership. Doing a little math, there are 144 combinations that a U.S. 2017 CX-5 can be configured using the 5 variables of trim levels, drive trains, exterior colors, interior colors, and option packages.

We were told two months when we ordered ours

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We were told two months when we ordered ours
Don't have to be that long! Our special-ordered 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech took only 22 days! Like Caligula said, your Mazda dealer has an internal system checking everything available at the port of entry and on the boat. Ours was on the boat coming into Long Beach when our dealer located it. They even processed the paper work with VIN info immediately so that we could qualify Presiodent's Day $500 cash rebate. They also matched the lowest email price we'd got from other Mazda dealer's. :)

My dealer told me 6 weeks max. Apparently it varies a lot.

First, a dealer checks to see if a matching car is available at his dealership or on its way to his dealership. If not, hell check to see if its at another Mazda dealership within a certain mileage radius and whether it can be traded to him. If not, the car will have to be ordered. The sales person told me it would take about 8 to 12 weeks. Not bad considering that I had to wait 4 months for a new Nissan 300ZX turbo. He also told me about half of the CX-5s sent over here are 50% Grand Touring, 45% Touring, and 5% Sport. When you order a car, your order does not get sent to Mazdas assembly plant in Japan. Its too long a distance between Japan and the U.S. to send your order there. Instead, youre really waiting for a car to roll off the ship that matches what you asked for in trim level, drive train, exterior color, interior color, and option package. Accessories are installed at the port city or at the dealership. Doing a little math, there are 144 combinations that a U.S. 2017 CX-5 can be configured using the 5 variables of trim levels, drive trains, exterior colors, interior colors, and option packages.

Yep - I'm familiar with how it works. Just want a Machine Gray/Parchment GT AWD with the Premium Package. Can't find one within 300 miles, so I guess we'll have to find one coming in on the boat. ;)

I'd give it a couple of weeks and then check again - inventory should be going up as the month rolls along.

Basically what's available under the "Build Your Own" buttons on the mazda sites :)

Over here, build your own means just selecting model, engine type, exterior and interior colours. Nothing else. It also doesn't send this instructions to Mazda HQ

Accessories can't be added at this stage as they are all installed by the dealership.

Would be good to have your version of special order here though

Last edited:
I wanted a GT AWD w/Premium in External Blue Mica/Black interior. Was told 3-4 days. Said they found one in Iowa (500 miles away) but an inventory search a few days later I did on MazdaUSA.com showed 15+ in the area. I realize that doesn't mean they are already sitting on the lots but already in the pipeline. When I actually put a deposit down they told me 'a couple of days'. That was over a week ago and no word. Not even a peep.

License tabs on my leased '15 expired the end of April so I had to renew those. Last lease pmt made the end of April but that allows me to drive the '15 for another 30 days. They said they would refund my last lease pmt.

I wanted a GT AWD w/Premium in External Blue Mica/Black interior. Was told 3-4 days. Said they found one in Iowa (500 miles away) but an inventory search a few days later I did on MazdaUSA.com showed 15+ in the area. I realize that doesn't mean they are already sitting on the lots but already in the pipeline. When I actually put a deposit down they told me 'a couple of days'. That was over a week ago and no word. Not even a peep.

License tabs on my leased '15 expired the end of April so I had to renew those. Last lease pmt made the end of April but that allows me to drive the '15 for another 30 days. They said they would refund my last lease pmt.

Chase them up. Don't wait for them to call back

Last edited:
Chase them up. Don't wait for them to call back

Pretty amazing, really. I stopped in one night to take a test drive and got multiple emails and calls about coming back in - almost daily. As soon as I plopped down a deposit the silence was deafening. I'll play along until the end of this week then start talking to other area dealers. Bought my previous CX-5 through this dealer. I'm afraid they'll delay until they get one in their own inventory - or perhaps the other dealers aren't willing to readily swap.

Pretty amazing, really. I stopped in one night to take a test drive and got multiple emails and calls about coming back in - almost daily. As soon as I plopped down a deposit the silence was deafening. I'll play along until the end of this week then start talking to other area dealers. Bought my previous CX-5 through this dealer. I'm afraid they'll delay until they get one in their own inventory - or perhaps the other dealers aren't willing to readily swap.

It's really not good enough what they are doing!

Nissan won't even let you order some vehicles. That's pretty awesome that you can order a CX5!

I thought the above was BS because I not only ordered, but watched them build my Z06, so when I bought a 370Z, and the dealership said they were not allowed to order, I thought just THEY couldn't, like they had no allotments. So I went to other dealers in other states, and got the SAME STORY, then I called NISSAN NA, and was told "Nope, you get what hits the shore, and if you don't like it..." Took months to find my car, as they sold within minutes of unloading.

Back