Engine Rattling/Ticking upon startup which then settles once the engine warms up

douglasholt

:
Mazda Mazda5 Sport
I have a 2008 Mazda 5 with 94k miles, and about 6k miles ago the engine started rattling/ticking upon startup which then settles very quickly once the engine starts to warm up. It sounds like valves but I think I have read here on these forums that these valves are not adjustable. Is that correct? Also keep in mind that if the engine is still warm, there is no ticking when the engine (re)starts. For example if I run into a store to make a quick purchase and come right back out, it starts up without the additional ticking noise. Any ideas or suggestions?

How long ago was the last oil change?
Any odd oil weight used? On my older Mazdas, ticking was always a good indicator it's time for ab oil change.
If you come out of the store, the engine is still warm, the oil still thin.

I would start checking your engine oil regularly, Google search Mazda 2.3 engines and see what you find...the 2.3 and 2.5 burn a lot oil once they get age and high mileage on them...mine blew a rod unexpectedly at 170,000 miles, no warning, no low engine oil light, nothing ....routine oil changes may not be enough, I would keep my eye on your oil at least on a weekly basis...

Back