Roof rack for the 2017.....

Mattyredsox

:
1990 Eunos (Mazda) V-Special Roadster (sold), 2014 Mazda CX-5 Pr
so the dealer wanted around $500 to install a roof rack on the 2017. Anyone have any success getting a non dealer rack (no one here will install, they say the 2017 is different.... ahhh Japan).

2017 factory roof rails are around $300 in the US. Install is easier than 1st gen because all the roof molding is removed so you don't have to cut and piece it together. http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/0000-8L-R09.pdf#_ga=1.105668099.1816688597.1491832038

Not sure how much the factory crossbars are yet, but probably at least another $100, so $500 may not be too bad if your dealer is doing the install.

You could also go yakima, thule etc but it would have to clamp on instead of using the roof rails and would still be $500 at least.

I am in the same boat. I reviewed the install instructions that someone was nice enough to post in the accessories forum. I plan to try the install myself next weekend....assuming my car arrives this week.

I am in the same boat. I reviewed the install instructions that someone was nice enough to post in the accessories forum. I plan to try the install myself next weekend....assuming my car arrives this week.

Let me know how it goes... the Thule racks go for $350 installed here for the older CX5's, dealer would cost $500.

Side question: for the 2016.5, how difficult and costly it is to install roof rails if the 2016.5 didn't come with it from the factory?

Anyone know what the story is with the rack option shown in image 37 of the Japanese accessories catalog?:

OsgpdeH.jpg

I like the idea of not having the rails on the car when the rack is not needed.

Just another piece of possible information...I was told that we can (obviously) order the rails now and that the cross members were anticipated to be available in June.

Anyone know what the story is with the rack option shown in image 37 of the Japanese accessories catalog?:

OsgpdeH.jpg

I like the idea of not having the rails on the car when the rack is not needed.

You've basically nailed it. Connects to the slots on the roof and then when removed, you just put the plugs back in to the slots.

Side question: for the 2016.5, how difficult and costly it is to install roof rails if the 2016.5 didn't come with it from the factory?
There's no roof rails on CX-5 comes from factory. Roof rails are dealer-installed accessory, or port-installed accessory if they're listed on the window sticker.

You can get OEM roof rails at Amazon for about $235.95. It'd take about 2 hours to install. As others mentioned, you need to cut off several pieces of roof molding for installation.

Sorry. I think this will become confusing. The 2017 has a different system than the previous models. Perhaps you can search that out not on this thread. This thread is pretty much for the 2017. Sorry. I'd say the same thing to someone who posted a CX3 question here.

There's no roof rails on CX-5 comes from factory. Roof rails are dealer-installed accessory, or port-installed accessory if they're listed on the window sticker.

You can get OEM roof rails at Amazon for about $235.95. It'd take about 2 hours to install. As others mentioned, you need to cut off several pieces of roof molding for installation.
Not the case for 2017. Sorry can we keep this 2017.

You remove the entire roof molding for the 2017. No cutting needed. The roof rails fit flush against the roof the entire length of the rails. I think you are confusing first gen roof rail installation and price.

Thanks GTScott. There has been no info on the cross members at all so far, but good to hear they will be available in June.

You've basically nailed it. Connects to the slots on the roof and then when removed, you just put the plugs back in to the slots.

Yes - this. Just wondering when it will be available from other sources besides the dealer. Not cheap. I'm sure it will be cheaper directly from Inno or Thule (have never seen Yakima in Japan).

You remove the entire roof molding for the 2017. No cutting needed. The roof rails fit flush against the roof the entire length of the rails. I think you are confusing first gen roof rail installation and price.
Sorry for the confusion. I merely answer the question mochidust asked about 2016.5 CX-5 roof rails. And bigtex had mentioned the difference earlier.

Yes - this. Just wondering when it will be available from other sources besides the dealer. Not cheap. I'm sure it will be cheaper directly from Inno or Thule (have never seen Yakima in Japan).

Usually a delay of a few months is my guess

I picked up side rails from my dealer and installed them yesterday. 2017 CX-5 GT. Very simple install. Way easier than last generation. Took about 20 minutes to do both rails. I'm over 6'2" and that did help. Instructions are in the box. They are not great but it's still pretty easy to figure out what to do. I don't own a torque wrench so I just hand tightened with a screw driver as best I could.
My dealer sold me rails at cost about $260

Back