Curb parking - touch and feel

LUVINMYMAZDA

:
2017 CX 5 GT w/ Premium
So I have been able to pretty much figure out all of the functionality on the mew 2017's after test driving and researching, however there is one thing that I'm still uncertain about which is curb visibility while parking. I neglected to checkthis out during a test drive. I know there isn't any camera option (360 view) also because the mirrors are not power, there is no "Tilt down feature" on the passanger side for curb view. For those of you whom already have a 2017, can you answer the below:

1. Am correct in my 2 statements about not having the above features?

2. Because I will be getting a GT w/ Premium Package having the 2 power seat memory function, does the mirror adjustment "remember" it's setting to match the power seat settings and if so could I use as an example memory #2 as a parking option by setting the mirror at a downward angle that would give me a curb view. If this does work like this, I could actuate seat memory #2 to give me a curb parking view.

3. Is the view you get from the back up camera good enough to give you proper visual guidance for this function, ie: showing you the curb accurately to judge how close you are when parallel parking?

More then adequate. Back up camera made me a rockstar paker.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The back-up cam doesn't do a thing for parallel parking.
Yeah, the back-up camera doesn't do a thing for parallel parking; and offer very little help for curb parking.

To OP, you do need touch and feel for curb parking on 2017 CX-5 like my wife does all the time on our 2016's!

1) Your 2 statements are correct, even top-of-line 2017 CX-5 GT with Premium Package doesn't have 360 view camera, nor the auto tilt-down on side mirror. However, Mazda does have Side-view Camera helping driver to do curb and parallel parking in other countries, just not available for US customers!

2) Unfortunately memory seat function on CX-5 is purely a memory function for seat position only, it won't memorize side mirror positions nor steering wheel position like those upscale vehicles do.

3) Backup camera offers very little help aiming the curb for your tires as you can't see the tires from the backup view. The guide line in the backup view is not very precise either. And of course it's only functioning when you go reverse.

Last edited:
Disagree I think it helps in every parking situation

I just stuck an inexpensive small spot/moon mirror on the lower outside edge of my outside mirrors and I can see the curb and parking lines fine on both sides.

I think OP just needs to learn how to parallel park.

People have been doing this years without any electronic aid.

Rear view camera makes it really easy to judge the distance, especially on a bigger vehicle

My car have auto parallel park feature, but I only use it to show people for s**** and giggle

So I have been able to pretty much figure out all of the functionality on the mew 2017's after test driving and researching, however there is one thing that I'm still uncertain about which is curb visibility while parking. I neglected to checkthis out during a test drive. I know there isn't any camera option (360 view) also because the mirrors are not power, there is no "Tilt down feature" on the passanger side for curb view. For those of you whom already have a 2017, can you answer the below:

1. Am correct in my 2 statements about not having the above features?

2. Because I will be getting a GT w/ Premium Package having the 2 power seat memory function, does the mirror adjustment "remember" it's setting to match the power seat settings and if so could I use as an example memory #2 as a parking option by setting the mirror at a downward angle that would give me a curb view. If this does work like this, I could actuate seat memory #2 to give me a curb parking view.

3. Is the view you get from the back up camera good enough to give you proper visual guidance for this function, ie: showing you the curb accurately to judge how close you are when parallel parking?

1. No 360 degree camera or tilt mirror. In Japan and here on the top spec model Akera, we have a side camera which is a little camera mounted under the kerb side mirror that allows you to see how far your tires are from the kerb on the mzd screen.

2. From the user manual:

Driving Position Memory

The desired driving position can be called up after programming the position. The following driving positions can be programmed.

* Drivers seat position (seat slide, height adjustment, front edge of seat bottom, seat recline)
* Active driving display (display position, brightness level, display information)

So it doesn't have the functionality to remember mirror position settings.

3. It does help to a certain degree but doesn't show you where your wheels are as in how far they are from touching the kerb.

:)

2463823729_0d3175c55b_b.jpg

In all seriousness... I just try to lower the passenger mirror some on my CX-5 to see curb. My GX will lower both mirrors in reverse and while I like this I wish it would leave the drivers side alone....
I would adjust the mirror permanently to show good side lane vision of adjacent cars driving but also just enough ground level so you can see the kerb. A good compromise

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

Or you could just use your backup camera. I don't understand anyone saying this isn't helpful?!?
da38f4e3f5d5acc7bfe7176b78fad2af.jpg
ab4d24de501ebbd0384590382d0cd77b.jpg

Perfectly aligned, every single time, never touch the curb.

Last edited:
It is helpful and have used it on many occasion in conjunction with kerb side mirror

I do use my backup camera a lot but always use my mirrors just as much.. I haul a lot of different trailers so just part of the driving experience I guess. I like to stay within an inch or two of curb so I need to use my curb side mirror. Maybe camera is better on .16+ but I can't get that level of detail on mine.

I also use both in conjunction. Both are equally reliable, to point I'm ok even if I had to use one only.

Mirror: like Xeler8ing said I try not to waste too much mirror coverage of the sky, but have it point a bit downward, when //parking I just need to lean a bit towards passenger side to get a nice view of the curb.

Camera: although you can't see the wheels in the cam, you can definitely deduce their clearance from curb based on the yellow box (similar to 7eregrine's 2nd screenshot), after a few trial & error you can confidently leave roughly 3 inches from curb, every time.

Or you could just use your backup camera. I don't understand anyone saying this isn't helpful?!?
da38f4e3f5d5acc7bfe7176b78fad2af.jpg
ab4d24de501ebbd0384590382d0cd77b.jpg

Perfectly aligned, every single time, never touch the curb.

One thing that might not show if there is something immediately out of view next to the say front passenger door area such as a protruding branch etc

Make one wonder how anyone every parked their cars before cameras and curb feelers.

Back