vs Rogue?

Tucson was way too plastic-y when I've been in one.

Exactly my thought when I sat in the Tuscon too, which was too bad.

Kia is definitely re-positioning themselves as the more premium of the two if you look at design choices between them and Hyundai over the past couple of years. Too bad, the Sportage was also uninspiring to me and thusly I came to the CX-5.

OK, so another comparative request from me, since it'll be September before I can make a purchase. Rogue looks to have better mileage, and since I'm going to be trading in my hybrid, I'm used to higher overall mileage. I like the styling on them, and the interior looks good (though the info center has a lot of buttons), and hybrid is available on a couple different models. It is a CVT, and I don't see that any trims come with a HUD (which I've really grown to like the idea of having, LOL). Who buys a Rogue over a CX-5?

I'm going to skip the three pages of replies and tell you how we ended getting the CX-5 over the slew of segment and non-segment competitors. The wife wanted to trade in her 2004 Nissan Pathfinder. She liked her '04 Nissan and wanted to stay with the brand; however, Nissan has changed a lot in those 13 years and Nissans of today are not the Nissans of the early 2000s (both good and bad).

Despite the (2016) Rogue being a somewhat stylish vehicle and now the 2017s look a tad better both inside and out, you really have to look beyond the looks of the vehicle to find its true worth; something my wife had a hard time doing as all she knew, she wanted something new, something the same size as her Pathfinder, something with AWD, and something with dark gray or black interior and something that WAS NOT A WAGON. That is why she gravitated toward the Rogue (I like wagons and hatchbacks).

Budget was a big player in our purchase and so we were looking at the S trim with the "S Appearance" package - the sub $25k market. Higher trims may seem nicer, but it is still the same vehicle underneath...much like the CX-5 and Forester.

Our test drive (in the rain) went fine, and the interior bits felt nice and things were well placed; however, (overall) the driving feel and the engine sounds and the transmission performance were not that of a refined vehicle. That combo (2.5L I4 and CVT) might work well in and Altima or Sentra, but it did not do anything special in the Rogue. The engine felt like it was having to work hard all the time to get the Rogue moving. Of course, a little later on, we heard that Nissan would be releasing the Rogue Sport stateside (Qashqai in other markets), but Nissan dragged their feet on the release and its timing was not in line with ours in the end.

Anyway, long story short, do not "drive" a car by numbers on a page, especially the EPA mpg ratings as those are just estimates. You might get better mpg numbers; you might not... you need to really find what is important to you that the vehicle can do and the way it does it. For us, the KIA Soul+ almost did it for us as it did everything we needed our next car to do. It ticked all but a few boxes, like overall rear cargo space and AWD, but we were willing to let those slide because the car did so well in other areas. The KIA product was hands down better than the Nissan product, in terms of performance and feel.

Luckily, we came across the CPO CX-5 that sits in our garage and the reason it is there is it brought more of the whole package that the wife was looking for. The Rogue was just blah, the Forester was spartan/rugged/plain and didn't excite, the CR-V was hard to see out of and felt low-rent despite the premium price and it too did not do anything to make you want to drive it.

Is the CX-5 perfect...no. Does it get the best MPG...no Does it have the most interior space...no Does it come in nice colors...a few. Regardless of what the CX-5 (Touring) did not bring to the table that some of the other vehicles in the class did, it fit our needs for what we needed it to do, it would get better than 19mpg on a bad day, and it looks good doing absolutely nothing.

Your needs and mileage may vary, but that's how it worked out for us. I don't think the Rogue would be a vehicle for long-term ownership. I see it as more of a 3 yr lease and give it back type of vehicle, but that is just my opinion.

So the Rouge is the Qashqai, it does look the same as its bigger brother the xtrail.

In the UK the cx-5 is bigger than the Qashqai, but smaller than the xtrail, the latter also comes with a 177ps diesel, not available i believe in the Qashqai.

I think I saw a black rogue at work. Surprised that it had halogen...even more that they were old school reflectors and not projectors.

IMO... those are really safe years for the FX on engine and that vehicle has been on market so long it should make for an extremely reliable ride. I always put premium in my G but more than likely no ill effects with lower grades if you wanted to.

Good to know, and thanks for the insight. If there's anything else that was a major concern feel free to bring it to my attention. Only other minor irritants I've read online were in regards to the newer 7sp auto. Some folks felt it hunted for gears too much, and a few other complaints that I don't quite recall.

xtrilman said:
So the Rouge is the Qashqai, it does look the same as its bigger brother the xtrail.

In the UK the cx-5 is bigger than the Qashqai, but smaller than the xtrail, the latter also comes with a 177ps diesel, not available i believe in the Qashqai.

Nope...in the US, the Rogue is the Rogue. Nissan is ditching the Juke and bringing over the Qashqai, but they are not calling it the Qashqai in the US. They are instead calling it the "Rogue Sport".

The (US) Rogue is the Xtrail and the (US) Rogue Sport is the Qashqai. Confused yet? Don't worry, a lot of people will be.

The (big) Rogue will have the 170hp 2.5L I4 mated to a CVT and the (smaller) Rogue Sport will have a 141hp 2L I4 mated to a CVT.

It is confusing, using the same name for two models, other than sticking a sport label on the end. (boom05)

Nope...in the US, the Rogue is the Rogue. Nissan is ditching the Juke and bringing over the Qashqai, but they are not calling it the Qashqai in the US. They are instead calling it the "Rogue Sport".

The (US) Rogue is the Xtrail and the (US) Rogue Sport is the Qashqai. Confused yet? Don't worry, a lot of people will be.

The (big) Rogue will have the 170hp 2.5L I4 mated to a CVT and the (smaller) Rogue Sport will have a 141hp 2L I4 mated to a CVT.

How are you surprised that a rogue has halogen lights?

Not so much the halogens but the reflectors. I thought all newer CRV, Rav4, and CX-5 models have projectors stock. Shoot even the cheaper Corolla gets projectors with LEDs no less..

We also cross-shopped the Rogue (among others) before treating ourselves to the CX-5.

Our last vehicle did not have great road manners. It served its purpose as an economical people and things moving appliance but that was about it. It was numb in the steering, has a torsion beam rear end that could easily get upset and there seemed to be very little connection between what your right foot was doing to the throttle and what eventually decided to happen at the wheels.

We had already test driven the 16.5 CX-5 and 17 CX-5 before going to the Nissan dealer. While nice looking from the outside, the inside didn't seem up to par with the CX-5 but it was nice enough not to dismiss it. We were comparing middle option group CX-5 to middle Rogue.

Now... my wife isn't the most ambitious driver. And given her previous acceptance of driving dynamics in her last choice of car I was honestly expecting her to like the Rogue for its new style points. She just knows what she "doesn't mind" driving and what she "doesn't like" driving.

She HATED the Rogue. After a few minutes she had no interest in taking it any further on the road than we needed to get it back to the dealer and not take up any more time. "I'd rather drive my old car than this". I had no qualms with that and we went back to the Mazda dealer to sign the deal :).

The suspension was floaty to her. She told me the Mazda felt more "assuring" to her in the corners where the Rogue was more tippy. Her choice of words, not mine. And "The Mazda was fun, I liked it" and then proceeded to call the Rogue "blah".

The Rogue sells to people who look at the lower sticker price than the competition and take solace in the fact that they are buying an "SUV" and not a wagon. People who want the convenience features at a lower price and don't mind sacrificing driver engagement and confidence behind the wheel to get them.

Taking my criticism of Nissan back. Got a rental Sentra. Amazing autonomous capabilities... Better than Tesla/Google/UBER in an entry level car.

Back to the Infiniti question, we are ending our lease this week on our '13 G37 convertible. We need more utility, so we briefly considered a QX50 or QX30 because the dealership has been doing everything but standing on their head to get us into another Infiniti. The QX50 has lots of power due to the V6 and is cheap as can be (lease-wise), but it is so dated inside and out. I think it goes back to 2005 and is due to be replaced soon. The QX30 looks sharp but is so small and has lots of road noise compared to the '17 CX-5. We are long-time Infiniti owners, and there just isn't anything in their lineup that interests us.

We did own several FX35's. As I recall, an '03 and an '06. We loved them, and the V6 had decent acceleration, but it sucked gas. Also, the interior was very old-school Infiniti, with cheap materials and orange guages. The CX-5 is light-years ahead. We have fond memories, though, and the new CX-5 actually reminds us somewhat of the original FX35 with it's long hood, flat nose and bubble butt.

Back to the Infiniti question, we are ending our lease this week on our '13 G37 convertible. We need more utility, so we briefly considered a QX50 or QX30 because the dealership has been doing everything but standing on their head to get us into another Infiniti. The QX50 has lots of power due to the V6 and is cheap as can be (lease-wise), but it is so dated inside and out. I think it goes back to 2005 and is due to be replaced soon. The QX30 looks sharp but is so small and has lots of road noise compared to the '17 CX-5. We are long-time Infiniti owners, and there just isn't anything in their lineup that interests us.

We did own several FX35's. As I recall, an '03 and an '06. We loved them, and the V6 had decent acceleration, but it sucked gas. Also, the interior was very old-school Infiniti, with cheap materials and orange guages. The CX-5 is light-years ahead. We have fond memories, though, and the new CX-5 actually reminds us somewhat of the original FX35 with it's long hood, flat nose and bubble butt.

Jealous. I've always been a fan of the FX35 but couldn't afford them when they were out (during college years and shortly after). Not a fan of the design of the new QX series but I agree that the CX-5 looks resemble the FX.

Jealous. I've always been a fan of the FX35 but couldn't afford them when they were out (during college years and shortly after). Not a fan of the design of the new QX series but I agree that the CX-5 looks resemble the FX.

Agree with you. Not a fan of the QX, but the FX was ground-breaking and the CX-5 is the second coming of the FX styling-wise.

Don't be jealous. I always wanted a Lexus SC300 when I was younger and it was way out of range. I bought one a '99 w/ 25k miles in 2002. There is always hope!

I don't mind the looks of QX70, as I view it as evolution of the original FX35 (like the 2017 CX5 to the first gen). But the QX70's dash screen seems horribly outdated, particularly for its price range.

Yep. Really shows the difference in thinking.

I have spent lots of time in Rouges as many of the car rental places have them. Just the polar opposite of the CX-5. But I think everyone should test ride in one before a CX-5. In fact, Mazda should have one at every dealer so they can drive that either before or after a Mazda.

OK, so another comparative request from me, since it'll be September before I can make a purchase. Rogue looks to have better mileage, and since I'm going to be trading in my hybrid, I'm used to higher overall mileage. I like the styling on them, and the interior looks good (though the info center has a lot of buttons), and hybrid is available on a couple different models. It is a CVT, and I don't see that any trims come with a HUD (which I've really grown to like the idea of having, LOL).

Who buys a Rogue over a CX-5?

People with terrible credit. ;)

Back