vs Rogue?

:
2017 SRC CX-5 GT + Premium
OK, so another comparative request from me, since it'll be September before I can make a purchase. Rogue looks to have better mileage, and since I'm going to be trading in my hybrid, I'm used to higher overall mileage. I like the styling on them, and the interior looks good (though the info center has a lot of buttons), and hybrid is available on a couple different models. It is a CVT, and I don't see that any trims come with a HUD (which I've really grown to like the idea of having, LOL).

Who buys a Rogue over a CX-5?

OK, so another comparative request from me, since it'll be September before I can make a purchase. Rogue looks to have better mileage, and since I'm going to be trading in my hybrid, I'm used to higher overall mileage. I like the styling on them, and the interior looks good (though the info center has a lot of buttons), and hybrid is available on a couple different models. It is a CVT, and I don't see that any trims come with a HUD (which I've really grown to like the idea of having, LOL).

Who buys a Rogue over a CX-5?

People who don't know any better and just assume Nissan = good.

Some have been saying the CVT on Honda isn't that bad. The CVT on the Rogue is that bad.

When I test drove the Rogue back in 2013, it definitely felt underpowered to me. Trying to gun it sounded so awful (squeeling dead cats?), braking sent it into a nose dive, and it felt so cushy.

So boring to drive.

When I test drove the Rogue back in 2013, it definitely felt underpowered to me. Trying to gun it sounded so awful (squeeling dead cats?), braking sent it into a nose dive, and it felt so cushy.

So boring to drive.

Well, that was 4 years ago, LOL. Just watched a quicky pre-embargo review of the Rogue Sport (foot shorter than the Rogue, with a 2.0L vs 2.5L engine) on TFL, and they revved it. Granted, not a throaty sound at all, but it didn't sound underpowered.

My concern with the Rogue is its CVT. I just bought CX-5 because my 2008 Rogue just had the transmission die 24k miles after the extended warranty period and the dealer was asking $4000 to replace it. While I owned the car I loved it but that transmission replacement cost left a bad taste in my mouth. Granted, the 2008 run had problems from the get go but I felt I was pretty lucky to have it for 6.5 years before the transmission went. I skipped the CR-V since it has a CVT albeit from another manufacturer and the Subaru looks to have a dependable CVT but I just couldn't get over the stigma. I do like the smoothness of the CVT but not the powerband

Well, that was 4 years ago, LOL. Just watched a quicky pre-embargo review of the Rogue Sport (foot shorter than the Rogue, with a 2.0L vs 2.5L engine) on TFL, and they revved it. Granted, not a throaty sound at all, but it didn't sound underpowered.

Aren't they in the same generation, or did they redesign?

Anyway, The Rogue was my second least favorite I test drove (the old CR-V was the 1st). It boils down to that god awful CVT and styling wise have not cared for it either (too much chrome, yet again).

Please god nuke this thread.

Not helpful :)

Wish there were more non-CVTs I'd consider which I could compare with the CX-5. It's just a process of elimination, at this point, and I know there's a bias here, but the facts should be easily borne out :)

Wish there were more non-CVTs I'd consider which I could compare with the CX-5. It's just a process of elimination, at this point, and I know there's a bias here, but the facts should be easily borne out :)

I hear ya. I think that's part of the reason the CX-5 fills a bit of a niche segment of the market. Yes we still want a CUV, but maybe we don't want to lose that fun to drive feeling (I know some in here disagree and call it an appliance).

Aren't they in the same generation, or did they redesign?

I'm seeing first gen was 2007 - 2013 (2014 MY). They looked more like baby Muranos.

Anyway, The Rogue was my second least favorite I test drove (the old CR-V was the 1st). It boils down to that god awful CVT and styling wise have not cared for it either (too much chrome, yet again).

Chrome I can overlook. Well noted about the CVT. I'm just wondering what do I not know, since that's all I've driven for 10 years, haha. (And then fully stick-shift manual before that.)

You want facts?
Here you go, car shopping last year these two deals
2016 Altima 4K miles -- 14000 USD
2015 Camry 20K miles 15900 USD

Similarly equipped - base models. Drove both - Altima was okish - never stood out. Nissan's value drops like a rock for 2 reasons - they are s****, They do huge huge fleet sales. So when Hertz / National (right now they are under stress to sell used cars faster) take their older models out your re sale suffers.
Nissan is for two types of buyers:
1. Who dont know its s***.
2. Who want to appear wealthier than they are.

If the used car market tanks due to Hertz / National moving their inventory - biggest impact will be Hyundai / Nissan etc. Also - test drove the Rogue. Its a forgettable experience.
While test driving Altima - it had power seats but I could not even reach it when the doors were closed - again execution of features is important.

Read up on Nissan as a company
1. 2002 - 2007 Nissans rusted so bad you could literally fall through the floor. Savageese has nice videos on this.
2. CVT - google bad CVT problems - 80% of posters cribbing are Nissan owners. Rest are Subu / Honda
3. See their treatment of Nissan Leaf early adopters - in 2016 a group of EV enthusiasts bought a Leaf SV (middle trim) for 11000 - just imagine if you had paid 20K for the same car few months ago, you would feel like someone stabbed you in the back. So they dont care for their customers - just cut their losses when they can.

You cant even buy used Scion iQs 2015 models for 11K unless they have 35K miles on it.

Btw this is a Scion iQ:
2013_scion_iq_2dr-hatchback_base_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

Summary: A cancerous company flooding market with cheap products - a walmart of car manufacturers and still not making much profit.

You want facts?
Here you go, car shopping last year these two deals
2016 Altima 4K miles -- 14000 USD
2015 Camry 20K miles 15900 USD

Similarly equipped - base models. Drove both - Altima was okish - never stood out. Nissan's value drops like a rock for 2 reasons - they are s****, They do huge huge fleet sales. So when Hertz / National (right now they are under stress to sell used cars faster) take their older models out your re sale suffers.
Nissan is for two types of buyers:
1. Who dont know its s***.
2. Who want to appear wealthier than they are.

If the used car market tanks due to Hertz / National moving their inventory - biggest impact will be Hyundai / Nissan etc. Also - test drove the Rogue. Its a forgettable experience.
While test driving Altima - it had power seats but I could not even reach it when the doors were closed - again execution of features is important.

Read up on Nissan as a company
1. 2002 - 2007 Nissans rusted so bad you could literally fall through the floor. Savageese has nice videos on this.
2. CVT - google bad CVT problems - 80% of posters cribbing are Nissan owners. Rest are Subu / Honda
3. See their treatment of Nissan Leaf early adopters - in 2016 a group of EV enthusiasts bought a Leaf SV (middle trim) for 11000 - just imagine if you had paid 20K for the same car few months ago, you would feel like someone stabbed you in the back. So they dont care for their customers - just cut their losses when they can.

You cant even buy used Scion iQs 2015 models for 11K unless they have 35K miles on it.

Btw this is a Scion iQ:
2013_scion_iq_2dr-hatchback_base_fq_oem_1_1280.jpg

Summary: A cancerous company flooding market with cheap products - a walmart of car manufacturers and still not making much profit.

OK now that's useful (and ugly... the Scion). I'd fall into the "don't know s***" category... so thanks for dishing some s***, LOL. I'll go read up more on their history.

Btw, not that I'm looking but... same opinion on Infiniti? I see a s*** tonne of them around here.

No Nissan..CR-V over Rogue all day and all night long like Lionel...
You could check out the new Equinox?
I'd also look at the Tucson- I drove the non-turbo Sportage and wasn't impressed but if you wanted to go a bit bigger..
I also drove the Sorrento which was pretty nice- not particularly cheap or as fun to drive (as the CX-5) but pleasant, not too huge and ass coolers, yes!!

Last edited:
Btw, not that I'm looking but... same opinion on Infiniti? I see a s*** tonne of them around here.
No idea about infiniti. Never read / ran into them as rentals - ofcourse they are upscale.

You will have to see if anyone else has idea about them.

I'd also look at the Tucson- I drove the non-turbo Sportage and wasn't impressed but if you wanted to go a bit bigger..
I also drove the Sorrento which was pretty nice- not particularly cheap or as fun to drive (as the CX-5) but pleasant, not too huge and ass coolers, yes!!

Equinox is rather boxy... and worse mileage than the CX-5. I don't want to dip below a CX-5 on mileage. Not considered a Sorrento but I may check them out then [edit: nope... 21/28]. Ass coolers sounds nice, especially around here, hahaha! Tucson was way too plastic-y when I've been in one.

Last edited:

I thought the Sorrento was a snooze fest. It had nice power but driving it just left me feeling numb and apathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back