How does it sound ? BOSE in the GT

I think it sounds great for an OEM rig. I've got the bass and treble maxed like an amateur, and the sound is surprisingly non-fatiguing like that (it almost seems as though they tuned the system with the expectation that people would automatically boost those controls). The bass from the spare tire sub is nice and tight. Tweeters clear and not overpowering. Decent mid-range, but could be better (probably my fault for maxing the lows and highs).

OEM Silk Dome Tweeters matching perfectly with the system? Gets the thumbs up. I mean those that upgraded the Gen1 fronts to aftermarket speakers found they were either a bit quieter than stock or were a bit harsher than stock.

The matter for the stock sub in the back. I've seen numerous people upgrade Stock Wheel Well housings with better speakers yet still retain that clean OEM look.

Not in a 2014 228. In fact BMW agreed to refund $350 to early 228 owners (me) because they published misleading specs on the hk system that came in the 2014 2 series. The cx-5 really does sound better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm just shows how they're nickel and diming more and more and more...my '09 128 stock stereo had 2 subs under front seats. How did/do you like the 2? It seemed a bit soft but I couldn't locate one with sport pkg or manual or RWD i don't even think to test out..X1 was there oddly enough..Msport, RWD loaded for bargain I took it...

OEM Silk Dome Tweeters matching perfectly with the system? Gets the thumbs up. I mean those that upgraded the Gen1 fronts to aftermarket speakers found they were either a bit quieter than stock or were a bit harsher than stock.

The matter for the stock sub in the back. I've seen numerous people upgrade Stock Wheel Well housings with better speakers yet still retain that clean OEM look.

I was pretty happy with it. Let's put it this way: I have zero plans to do anything with the sound system, and that's usually the first thing I mess with. Instead my mind went to "Hey, these map lights should be red LEDs" and "I wish I negotiated for the all-weather floor mats." So far it seems like a very refined vehicle all around. Cargo area lighting is not good, though, and that would have been an easy thing for them to improve.

Mazda6 has similar Bose system but has 11 speakers including 2 tweeters in dash. According to one member here who inquired Bose engineer and was told Mazda eliminated 2 dash tweeters on CX-5 to save some pennies even though they were recommended by Bose! Although the location on those dash tweeters in Mazda6 is questionable, but tweeters are important for high notes. Fortunately Mazda has added tweeters at better A-pillar location on new 2017 CX-5 Bose, although I still believe the best front tweeter location is on the front door near the base of A pillar like Honda CR-V and many others do. And new sub-woofer is a very nice improvement to the bass too!

I should add that even though I think our CRV's system sounds better, it has the absolute worst interface I've ever seen. Completely unintuitive and a royal pain in the ass to operate.

I think most people missed the "2017" part of the ask...

For me the system is actually fantastic. Coming from a Ford Edge that had the premium Sony system, the sound is crisp, dynamic, and has very nice bass (clear, not muddy). I wasn't expecting the sound to be this nice... definitely not something you'd be disappointed with!

No we didn't... its just nature of the beast for a car forum. But its nice to see they corrected what was wrong with the previous system.

(drive)

Yea, we didn't miss anything. There are now 2 conversations here thanks to Yrwie's comment that there's no bass in the 16 and me derailing from there.
:D Are you new to forums, Joe? This is how they work. ;) *Snicker

Normally that's fine, but the noise was drowning out the point of the thread almost completely. You people with your ancient cars flinging your opinions around... (whistle)

(lol) Hate to reply to a thread with just an LOL so I added a smiley and this text: LOL!

It sounds great up front. No dedicated tweeters in the rear, so it sounds a little dull if you're confined to the back seat. The system has some fancy Centerpoint 2.0 feature which, I think, is just Bose's way of taking a stereo feed and messing with frequencies to create perception of a broader range. I'm not a fan of this Centerpoint 2.0 and have disabled it.

It sounds great up front. No dedicated tweeters in the rear, so it sounds a little dull if you're confined to the back seat. The system has some fancy Centerpoint 2.0 feature which, I think, is just Bose's way of taking a stereo feed and messing with frequencies to create perception of a broader range. I'm not a fan of this Centerpoint 2.0 and have disabled it.
I agree with you as I believe Centerpoint2 surround sound system is only good for movie watching like home theater system. The system is designed with only front passengers in mind, not for rear seat passengers. Like you said, there's no dedicated tweeters for rear seat passengers like 2017 Honda CR-V, and 2 rear D-pillar speakers serve as a mono-channel fill-in for surround sound effect and rarely produce any sound.

I've come to like Centerpoint and keep it on now most of the time. The idea that it's only good for movies is BS. We're sitting in a car, so nothing about the speaker placement or acoustics is "natural." Centerpoint both expands the soundstage for me - which does work better for certain kinds/genres of music - while also helping to center the vocals instead of emphasizing the left or right channels... with the left door speaker by your feet and the right much further away on the passenger side. I came in expecting to hate the Bose since I generally don't think much of the company and their sound design philosophy, but I've been very pleased with it in my '16.5. It plays plenty loud w/o distortion and I get enough bass (for my tastes) even with the bass tone control set at "0." They key is setting the fader quite a bit to the rear.

Not in a 2014 228. In fact BMW agreed to refund $350 to early 228 owners (me) because they published misleading specs on the hk system that came in the 2014 2 series. The cx-5 really does sound better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those aren't conventional subs. They provide resonance of low band through the seats, but they by no means provide "boom" unless you get the BMS aftermarket subs.

8 years with this in an E90 and almost a year with my current whip.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

⋯ The idea that it's only good for movies is BS.
Go check the history of "surround sound system" you'll find it started from Disney movie and almost all articles are related to movie and home theater system. Any audiophile will tell you he won't use surround sound system to listen to his favorite music.

We're sitting in a car, so nothing about the speaker placement or acoustics is "natural." Centerpoint both expands the soundstage for me - which does work better for certain kinds/genres of music - while also helping to center the vocals instead of emphasizing the left or right channels... with the left door speaker by your feet and the right much further away on the passenger side.
So in your theory Bose center channel speaker on dash is actually to your right while you're driving. Stronger center channel sound from Centerpoint2 means you actually have stronger right channel sound unless you're sitting on the center console.

I came in expecting to hate the Bose since I generally don't think much of the company and their sound design philosophy, but I've been very pleased with it in my '16.5. It plays plenty loud w/o distortion and I get enough bass (for my tastes) even with the bass tone control set at "0."
If you like Bose system with Centerpoint2 surround sound in CX-5, good for you. But many others dislike the Bose in 1st-gen CX-5 proven by frequency response graph and lack of physical tweeters and sub-woofer. Apparently Mazda knew it and made improvement on speakers for 2017 Bose.

They key is setting the fader quite a bit to the rear.
If you're getting the best sound by compensating the fader control drastically to the rear, the system has problems! :)

Would love to know if anyone's compared the 2017 'plain' mid level stereo to the top level Bose. It's one of the few things I might actually want to get the top level for.

I have to assume you don't mean to come off as a smarmy know-it-all, Yrwei52? At least, I hope that's the case. Cuz, ya kinda' did right there.

Last edited:
I have to assume you don't mean to come off as a smarmy know-it-all, Yrwei52? At least, I hope that's the case. Cuz, ya kinda' did right there.
No, I definitely don't mean that! If what I said of my opinion offended someone, please accept my apology!

Sweet! I hoped I was reading that wrong. Carry on, my friend. :D

No, I definitely don't mean that! If what I said of my opinion offended someone, please accept my apology!

Oh no, you didn't offend me. I may not agree with you - and all our ears are different - but you didn't offend. ;)

Back