How does it sound ? BOSE in the GT

Yea, my bad. Generally when someone says "good for you" they are being sarcastic or smarmy. You actually meant it in a good way. Kind of refreshing actually. Lol. (Drinks)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Different media sounds...different. What are you all basing your opinions on? CD's, digital, radio formats? It ALL makes a difference. Can you concur?

Maybe it's just my coming from modest aftermarket or older premium systems, but I'm happy with the Bose. Part of it stems from the type of music I listen to - plenty of acoustic jazz and classic rock - but I find the bass more than adequate, even without a sub. I actually have the bass set at 0, so there's plenty more there if I need it. (Maybe I'm just old, but I hate the pounding, distorted bass you often hear coming from cars a block away. :) ) Treble is a bit weak and the '17 is no doubt better, but it's okay too. I may replace the dash speakers one day but have no interest adding a sub.

I heard both the 2017 Bose and the stock while test-driving, and noticed that the Bose was a bit better despite the weak "sub", but ended up with a Touring w/out Bose... I love the car otherwise, but the audio is far worse than any other stock stereo I've had in the past. A rough frequency sweep revealed a dropout 130-180 Hz (which doesn't seem to be apparent in the 2016 non-Bose) - I don't know if this is to be expected of the new CX5 or a defect in mine, because the dealer won't give me the time of day. I'm stuck with mine and have to go aftermarket, but if you have a choice between 2017 non-Bose or Bose - unless you plan to upgrade regardless - definitely get the Bose.

Question How does it sound ? BOSE in the GT

I heard both the 2017 Bose and the stock while test-driving, and noticed that the Bose was a bit better despite the weak "sub", but ended up with a Touring w/out Bose... I love the car otherwise, but the audio is far worse than any other stock stereo I've had in the past. A rough frequency sweep revealed a dropout 130-180 Hz (which doesn't seem to be apparent in the 2016 non-Bose) - I don't know if this is to be expected of the new CX5 or a defect in mine, because the dealer won't give me the time of day. I'm stuck with mine and have to go aftermarket, but if you have a choice between 2017 non-Bose or Bose - unless you plan to upgrade regardless - definitely get the Bose.
We have seen several people reported the sound quality is very poor from factory non-Bose audio on 2017 CX-5. Yeah first-gen CX-5 non-Bose does have decent quality, and some even tested with better and flatter frequency response curve than Bose! Not to mention you can easily to go much better aftermarket double-DIN head unit. But with a tablet screen on 2017 CX-5, how do you go aftermarket? That's why the super-cheap $780 Touring Preferred Equipment Package which includes Bose and many other features is A MUST when you're getting a 2017 CX-5 Touring!

We have seen several people reported the sound quality is very poor from factory non-Bose audio on 2017 CX-5. But with a tablet screen on 2017 CX-5, how do you go aftermarket? That's why the super-cheap $780 Touring Preferred Equipment Package which includes Bose and many other features is A MUST when you're getting a 2017 CX-5 Touring!

Interesting - and sad - that the factory 2017 is worse than all others. I didn't want a moonroof or 19" wheels and I wanted I-ActivSense (so far extremely worth it), but the current HU is jacking up the quotes I'm getting for professional aftermarket, so it would have been cheaper to just get a GT. If anyone wants I-ActivSense and plans to listen to the radio at all, that's what I recommend. If I don't end up going aftermarket, I'll probably trade it in after a year or two for a GT - it's really that bad.

Last edited:
Interesting - and sad - that the factory 2017 is worse than all others. I didn't want a moonroof or 19" wheels and I wanted I-ActivSense (so far extremely worth it), but the current HU is jacking up the quotes I'm getting for professional aftermarket, so it would have been cheaper to just get a GT. If anyone wants I-ActivSense and plans to listen to the radio at all, that's what I recommend. If I don't end up going aftermarket, I'll probably trade it in after a year or two for a GT - it's really that bad.
Comparing two optional packages offered on 2017 CX-5 Touring:

Touring Preferred Equipment Package including Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror with HomeLink、Automatic On/off Headlights、Rain-sensing Variable-intermittent Windshield Wipers、Bose 10-Speaker Audio Sound System with Centerpoint2 and AudioPilot2、Mazda Navigation System、Power Sliding-glass Moonroof with One-touch Open Feature and Interior Sunshade、Power Rear Liftgate is $780.

Touring i-ActivSense Package including High Beam Control、Lane Departure Warning with Lane-keep Assist、Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop and Go、Smart Brake Support、Auto-dimming Rearview Mirror with HomeLink、Automatic On/off Headlights、Rain-sensing Variable-intermittent Windshield Wipers is $625.

The last 3 in i-ActivSense Package, Auto-dimming Mirror with HomeLink、Auto On/off Headlights、Rain-sensing Wipers, are also offered in Preferred Equipment Package. Most people can live without the rest 4: MRCC、LDW、SBS and HBC. That's why getting super-cheap Preferred Equipment Package including Bose is a must for Touring buyers!

As for factory non-Bose audio, you can put better speakers on doors and add an amp and sub-woofer without head unit replacement to improve the sound somewhat. Once you consider the HU replacement, it'd be very expensive and hard to do like you've found out! Getting a GT and replacing 19" wheels with 17's can be a cheaper alternative if you want both good sound system and i-ActivSense on Touring! :)

Previous BOSE systems MAX VOLUME went to level 64. Is 2017 the same?
Previous BOSE systems have only BASS and TREBLE. Is the 2017 the same?
Trunk mounted SUB-WOOFER on 2017, can it be adjusted separately either on the head unit or on the sub itself?

Trunk mounted SUB-WOOFER on 2017, can it be adjusted separately either on the head unit or on the sub itself?
I've seen the Bose setup screen on a Japanese 2017 CX-5 XD L Package 4WD from a video, it looks exactly the same as 1st-gen Bose! Not sure on dedicated sub-woofer adjustment.

Not sure the max volume number (I'm not even sure how that's important... it's not like the number of levels impacts loudness, it's just how much you can fine-tune the volume between "notches").

There's only bass and treble adjustments, no dedicated subwoofer control. Based on my experience there's no need for the additional control. The system handles the balance of bass/sub quite well when you adjust that one slider.

Not sure the max volume number (I'm not even sure how that's important... it's not like the number of levels impacts loudness....

Because there will be people complaining about it and I wanted to know if it was the same.

Not sure the max volume number (I'm not even sure how that's important... it's not like the number of levels impacts loudness, it's just how much you can fine-tune the volume between "notches").

There's only bass and treble adjustments, no dedicated subwoofer control. Based on my experience there's no need for the additional control. The system handles the balance of bass/sub quite well when you adjust that one slider.

Because there will be people complaining about it and I wanted to know if it was the same.

Our speedometers only go to 160....[emoji849]

🤣[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

We have seen several people reported the sound quality is very poor from factory non-Bose audio on 2017 CX-5. Yeah first-gen CX-5 non-Bose does have decent quality, and some even tested with better and flatter frequency response curve than Bose! Not to mention you can easily to go much better aftermarket double-DIN head unit. But with a tablet screen on 2017 CX-5, how do you go aftermarket? That's why the super-cheap $780 Touring Preferred Equipment Package which includes Bose and many other features is A MUST when you're getting a 2017 CX-5 Touring!

The Bose system isn't even available as an option in Canada on the mid level trim :(

The Bose system isn't even available as an option in Canada on the mid level trim :(

Go big or go home! :)

Seriously though, I had the opportunity to test the system when driving alone without the family and I definitely had a smile on my face. Booming stereo, HID, adaptive cruise in stop/go traffic... it was an easy choice for me!

Go big or go home! :)

Seriously though, I had the opportunity to test the system when driving alone without the family and I definitely had a smile on my face. Booming stereo, HID, adaptive cruise in stop/go traffic... it was an easy choice for me!

Good for you! According to the press kit besides a better (I mean a fuller range) speaker system they also fixed the door panel rattle problem with the main speakers. MRCC at full speed range (stop/go) is attractive indeed, my 16.5 would cancel cruise mode whenever there's mild traffic.

I' loving it in my '17 CX-5. Granted I'm not super picky when it comes to audio. So YMMV on my opinion. =P

I ended up moving the fade a couple notches into the back seat, and bumped up the base to 3/4th of the way on the slider. The thing has decidedly better with then my '16 Mazda3 with Bose, most likely due to the sub in the trunk.

I have the 2016 CX-5 GT with the Bose system. Audio was worse than the stock system in my Honda Element. Replacing the dash speakers with Polk db351s helped round out the high frequency response a bit. Bass was still rather muddy.
I tested the Bose system in the new 2017 CX-5. It is a substantial improvement with the dedicated tweeters and sub on the spare tire.

Back