Which Year? Buying a used Mazda 3 Sport - BM (3rd Gen)

:
2018 3 Sport GT MANUAL
This Christmas/New Year, my wife and I plan on trading in our 2011 SX4 and 2003, Civic for a 2018 CX5 Diesel and a 3rd generation Mazda 3 Sport (making some lucky dealer/salesman very happy I'm sure). We're likely looking at the mid level model with the smaller motor (better FE) but decent equipment (including optional sunroof) and importantly, the 6 speed manual.

Now I'm aware they've added G-vectoring to the 2017's but short of a SMOKING deal on a end of year clear out, that's likely out of budget.

I'm hoping you fine folks can tell me anything and everything about the 2014-2016 models. Were there any hiccups in the early models to watch out for? Was there any key features added in one of those years you'd find invaluable?

Appreciate any and all input :)

Edit:

I should add that my wife largely does around town driving (and will be coming from a gutless 1.6L Civic) and the CX5 will see the vast majority of highway/long distance travel which is why we're leaning towards the smaller motor. But we'd love input on that as well.

Last edited:
My 14 Mazda3 has been flawless for almost 3 years. Some owners have had infotainment hiccups but many were fixed with software updates. I became accustomed to heads-up display when I had my 2001 Corvette, so I opted for the GT package (with tech package) when I bought the 3. The HUD incorporates turn arrows that are generated from the NAV unit, which is very nice. Of course, the backup warnings, laser-guided cruise control (which allows you to set and forget the speed - car will keep a predetermined distance from vehicle in front of you if it is at or below your speed setting), blind spot warning, and auto braking are fantastic safety electronic features that I am happy I have available but you could say that they are not absolute necessities.
Some of the features, like rotating headlights, auto high beams, and a few others are nice under rare circumstances but they come with the package, so I have them if needed.
Good luck with your purchases and a pre-welcome to the Mazda family. My first Mazda (a 74 RX4) was purchased used in 1977.

Thanks Concept! Good to hear your 2014 has been a rock (that's the year we're leaning to despite it being a 'first year' model).

Just to follow up, we ended up with a Machine Grey, 2017 Sport GT with the 2.5 and stick (mostly because we could only get the 2.0 GS in white).

Thrilled with how it drives though, it's a beaut.

honestly, I strongly recommend you go for the bigger 2.5L motor. on paper, the fuel economy between the two is essentially the same. if anything, the larger engine may achieve better fuel economy because it simply does not need to be revved anywhere near as hard to get up to speed. the 2.5 has a big boost of torque at 3000rpm whereas in the smaller engine you need to really rev it out to get moving. we own a 2.5, i've driven the 2L before and its honestly just not enough.

Just to follow up, we ended up with a Machine Grey, 2017 Sport GT with the 2.5 and stick (mostly because we could only get the 2.0 GS in white).

Thrilled with how it drives though, it's a beaut.

It looks like he did.

Back