Engine Harness and Starter Issues

:
2003 Sunlight Silver Mazda Proteg5
Hit at wall in my journey to bringing a 2002 Automatic Protege5 from the dead. Mentioned it in another post about it being the Side Airbags and ABS package.

So my mechanic and I swapped the engine today, but ran into some wiring issues. Car had a burned engine and starter harness when it threw rod. Using a replacement harnesses from an 03 tiptronic.

We are having electrical issues starting the car. Car does not crank from what we believe are the incompatible connectors by the dash (2) and the shifter.

Mechanic power probed the starter wires using wiring diagram and did some bypassing and found that starter is getting power but no signal. He bypassed it using the fuse box but engine still doesn't crank.

What opinion do you guys have? Do you guys think it's from the difference in harnesses or another electrical issues. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

aa61418bf5e3a6ab36ce573866b50af5.jpg

35d65489791d0ed3deb412a935ff6b9c.jpg
dd171e7364baee1f67222171abe5e61c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This is all I've got for you...

It mentions twice "except sport AT" but doesn't show how the sport AT is wired ???

If you feed 12 V directly to the B/Y terminal of your starter motor connector and it doesn't crank then there is something wrong with your starter motor.

Starter is new. It doesn't start the engine. The mechanic did not put in the accessory belts. We have some water to remove from the combustion chamber.

Yes. Just cranks and cranks. Could it be the crankshaft sensor? Saw that issue in another forum. Left the old one on the used block.

We also heard a "pop" at the injectors and left it at that.

Last edited:
Yea.. That's possible... If you have no crank signal then your ECU won't allow the car to run.

But the "Sport AT" is weird and wired different and your ECU maybe shutting you down for some unknown reason ???

I'd try to get the proper harness first.

Here's the list of "crank no start" possibilities...

Getting the appropriate harness may be a maze of its own. None of the junk yards in my area have an ABS Protege. The only place I found in the whole country was Michigan.

I appreciate that information pcb! I will look at the service manual.

I will have to ask someone with more electrical knowledge. This endeavor has sure taken an unexpected turn.

You probably need somebody with specific Protg knowledge... As far as the harness goes.
I'm just going by the wiring diagrams I have and they're missing a bunch of pages.

I'm going to give it one more try. It's been exhausting finding someone to trust with this work. You know?

I looked at the wiring diagrams. I hope other systems are not damaged for the starter bypass.

If things don't work out I am moving on...

There is some info about the tiptronic harness in the manual-swap thread. I don't know much about the auto models, but pcb is right, you will probably need a regular auto engine harness. Unless you want to swap a tiptronic trans and ECU in the car.

I saw in the thread that the trans has to be disassembled to add the speedo gear. I would rather use the right harness to avoid any CELs.

I'm hoping it's just that...and not any type of engine/electrical issue.

I saw in the thread that the trans has to be disassembled to add the speedo gear. I would rather use the right harness to avoid any CELs.

Why are you worried about the speedo gear ???
If you've got ABS the ECU uses the wheel speed sensor input.

I was considering the effects if we may need to use a non-ABS harness and ECU.

The bad part is, that if you can't start your car you can't get any codes to help diagnose your problem....

It would throw a crank sensor code if it had the run time to do it...

I'm really thinkin, get the proper harness to start...

I was considering the effects if we may need to use a non-ABS harness and ECU

Don't consider those effects...
Get the right harness and you won't need the speedo gear... Or the ECU

PS... Check for spark while your cranking... The ECU may have killed your spark....

Last edited:
I'll report back with an update later this week. I believe we have spark but I am not entirely sure yet.

Back