2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Intermittent Steering Issues

ambrosioblue

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5
Leased a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring (1200 miles) and am having intermittent steering issues on my usual drive to from work and around town. I've taken the car to Mazda three separate times. The first time the steering angle sensor was -37 deflected and was replaced along with the clock spring. Subsequently car continued to pull to the left two additional times. Brought the car back to the dealership and technician drove the car and agreed the steering was off. Car was put on alignment rack and determined to be within specifications. Because the dealer could not reproduce the steering issue they think it's me and I don't understand that the curvature of the road is causing issues and that this is a sport tuned suspension. Anyone have any similar experiences?

The picture shows the car steering left after releasing the brake from a stop and allowing the car to roll forward.
b981ce5f01366face3227f45a904e102.jpg

Might be a dumb question, but have you checked the tire pressures? Since this is a lease, I assume you still have the OEM tires on? Were the brakes checked to see if they were dragging and consequently causing the car to pull to the left?

So the car drives straight with the wheel at that angle? Dealer is an idiot, if it's so easily demonstrated. Have you tried another?

Tried another. Drives pin straight. Problem is when the car is shut off after the technician drives the car and agreed it's not tracking straight, they shut the car off and the symptom magically disappears. No codes are showing and no pending codes either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nope. Does it at all speeds and all roadways. The same roadways, by the way, that the car drives fine on when not acting up. The service manager told me I should have a Buddhist priest come and remove my "negative juju" and drive the car with more of an open mind

The service manager told me I should have a Buddhist priest come and remove my "negative juju" and drive the car with more of an open mind

Oh dear.... "negative juju" - what planet are they on?

Is it possible to try another dealer or are you "locked in" to the present one? The dealer should consider it unsafe to drive and fix it. When the "computer says no" they seem to have washed their hands of it.

I think I'm going to try another dealer but I'm going to wait until the problem arises again. Thanks for the advice guys

Can you use your phone or a camera to take a video of it when it happens?

Nothing gets their attention as good as "lets go to the video ref" to see the proof!

I took and showed them the video. They continue to find excuses why it's not the car and why it's me. Even with the video, it was put on the alignment rack and found to be perfectly straight. The video was what got them to replace the steering angle sensor. And because this issue is intermittent and not reproducable on demand, I continue to be the cause.

I seem to recall reading in a TSB that if those steering angle sensors are changed, there is a learning procedure that has to be properly completed. Do you know if that was done?

Anyway I would take it to another dealer like you said. Explain whats happening, show them the video.

I seem to recall reading in a TSB that if those steering angle sensors are changed, there is a learning procedure that has to be properly completed. Do you know if that was done?

Anyway I would take it to another dealer like you said. Explain whats happening, show them the video.
No. Can you elaborate further on that or provide a link?

That's a safety issue. Talk to the Mazda area representative. Have a lawyer sent a letter if that gets nowhere.

Also, if the tire is worn more on the inside circumference, or outside, it will steer the car.

Maybe a sticking brake caliper causing the pull to the left?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Finally someone else having this issue ,

i have a 2016.5 AWD , that does the same thing , had it to dealer a few times,

still no luck in fixing it,

What have they done for you and what are they offering, if anything?

By chance did you have a remote start installed by Mazda that's the one button remote and not the long Mazda remote?

Back