Highest Mileage Skyactiv Engine?

That's super low miles. My 2015 had no issues, though, other than the fuel pump, out to past 100K miles.
As I said I am not worried about drivetrain. It seems the car will fall apart before any significant drivetrain issues.
I just noticed that the protectant on the headlights has started to erode / rip. This is at 3 years and they will turn hazy pretty fast if that protection dies. In comparison - my Camry gets hammered on highway and is 2 years older with 77K miles. Headlight UV protectant is still good.
Interior quality is also meh, although design is good.
Add to the quality issues and dealer experience - I see why Mazda's repeat business is suffering. Plus what I feel is that as the economy squeezes the dealers will get less and less approvals from Mazda to do TSBs and will circumvent it in many ways.

As I said I am not worried about drivetrain. It seems the car will fall apart before any significant drivetrain issues.
I just noticed that the protectant on the headlights has started to erode / rip. This is at 3 years and they will turn hazy pretty fast if that protection dies. In comparison - my Camry gets hammered on highway and is 2 years older with 77K miles. Headlight UV protectant is still good.
Add to the quality issues and dealer experience - I see why Mazda's repeat business is suffering. Plus what I feel is that as the economy squeezes the dealers will get less and less approvals from Mazda to do TSBs and will circumvent it in many ways.

Mine did the same. Absolute crap that it should do that. It started in 2016, and mine was a 2015. It did progress very slowly, however, if that makes you feel better. This is why I had PPF applied to my 2019's headlights, in hopes that the PPF will absorb SOME UV maybe.

Shocks and Struts were preventive or they needed to be changed?

After 3 years and 33K miles I am not worried about the drivetrain - the rest of the car's build quality is another issue.
I change them with every other set of tires. That way the tires wear good and the car rides good. Im sure the originals would have been worn out well before now.
I change struts or shocks only there's the sign of weakness or leak. I changed all factory struts on my 1998 Honda CR-V after 20+ years and 183K miles only because I have all the parts sitting there for a while, and I was going to drive it from Dallas to San Jose. The factory struts taking out were all still in good shape, and they're not required to get replaced.

I change struts or shocks only there's the sign of weakness or leak. I changed all factory struts on my 1998 Honda CR-V after 20+ years and 183K miles only because I have all the parts sitting there for a while, and I was going to drive it from Dallas to San Jose. The factory struts taking out were all still in good shape, and they're not required to get replaced.

My 2015 had 106K miles on the factory suspension, and it still felt really good. My Jeep Grand Cherokee with 68K miles on factory suspension felt and drove HORRIBLE. Vehicle specific...

Interesting, my headlights still look as good as the day I bought the car in 2013.

I agree all you said. I lost confidence of those interior parts reliability when the sun visor on the driver side fallen to my wife suddenly, and found out the single screw holding the visor simply is not good enough. Wife was disappointed about the quality and said she was lucky that sudden distraction of fallen sun visor to her didn't cause an accident. Both A-pillar trims crooked under Texas sun and got replace under warranty with a TSB. Headlights are new got replaced under warranty due to failed LED DRLs. Rear brake calipers, pads and rotors were replaced under warranty with a TSB. The whole Automatic Climate Control system was replaced due to failed LCD display on fan speed. Bose front door 9" woofers were replaced based on a TSB. The new struts for liftgate replaced by a recall are weakening significantly after a year of rare usage, and I really regret I'd let my Mazda dealer to replace the struts.

All of these issues certainly won't give me good confidence of long-term reliability like my 1998 Honda CR-V had given me from its initial years.

The new struts for liftgate replaced by a recall are weakening significantly after a year of rare usage, and I really regret I'd let my Mazda dealer to replace the struts.

Agree on this one. Old struts were way better. My new ones have gotten significantly weaker since the switch and the lift-gate doesn't open as high.

Really only other complaints would be the failing tensioners and for me the shifter switch (shouldn't be a problem on the newer CX-5 2015 and up).

Agree on this one. Old struts were way better. My new ones have gotten significantly weaker since the switch and the lift-gate doesn't open as high.

Really only other complaints would be the failing tensioners and for me the shifter switch (shouldn't be a problem on the newer CX-5 2015 and up).

Which tensioners, and at how many miles?

In my ongoing effort to learn all I can about my new 2017 CX-5, I've been reading about Skyactiv engineering. There seem to be some early threads indicating Skyactiv engines may have some carbon buildup issues on the backside of the valves...and other threads more recent threads that suggest Mazda has mitigated those problems. Since the engine has only been in service since 2012, the jury is still out on long term reliability. I thought it would be appropriate to begin a thread on high mileage Skyacvtiv engines. Someone, somewhere must have hit 200,000 miles by now. So who here has the highest mileage Skyactive, and what if any long term durability/reliability/longevity concerns have you uncovered?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
My 2013 Mazda 3 is still going. Used it to make money like food delivery and rideshare. It's at 250,000 miles. I did replace the transmission fluid around 120K and all the rubber mounts around 140K. Otherwise literally no issues. It's a solid vehicle. Oh and I did need to replace the front suspension at around 160K as well but that's expected from throwing it around for years. It is the 2.0L Skyactiv setup.

Back