Highest Mileage Skyactiv Engine?

Just hit 202k miles on my 2013 mazda 3 2.0L. No problems yet. Only have went through a few sets of tires and a battery. I change the oil every 5k miles.

Just hit 202k miles on my 2013 mazda 3 2.0L. No problems yet. Only have went through a few sets of tires and a battery. I change the oil every 5k miles.
Yeah, also curious to know if you touched the transmission fluid or not.

Yeah, also curious to know if you touched the transmission fluid or not.

I doubt he did because he even lists his tires, battery, and oil change info. Seems odd to leave atf out if he did it. Also, it will blow peoples minds as we still have 0 failures of atf in the skyactiv auto transmission.

I doubt he did because he even lists his tires, battery, and oil change info. Seems odd to leave atf out if he did it. Also, it will blow peoples minds as we still have 0 failures of atf in the skyactiv auto transmission.
You keep calling it a "fluid failure", but wouldn't anything fluid related just cause the mechanical failures. Suppose his transmission craps out tomorrow...the first thing they'd say is he didn't change the fluid.

You keep calling it a "fluid failure", but wouldn't anything fluid related just cause the mechanical failures. Suppose his transmission craps out tomorrow...the first thing they'd say is he didn't change the fluid.

Fluid failure would be a failure traced to fluid in a definitive manner. An example would be, say, bearing or other wear in absence of mechanical defect. A nonfluid failure would be something the fluid did not influence, such as the failures that occurred in earlier skyactiv transmissions due to part defect.

Fluid failure would be a failure traced to fluid in a definitive manner. An example would be, say, bearing or other wear in absence of mechanical defect. A nonfluid failure would be something the fluid did not influence, such as the failures that occurred in earlier skyactiv transmissions due to part defect.

Ive seen posts of CEL codes thrown due to dirty fluid. Not an outright failure, but concerning to me nonetheless.

I'd also like to know if they're mostly highway miles or stop and go city traffic. Highway miles aren't as rough on a car as lots of stop-and-go stuff, particularly when it comes to A/T, doesn't have to shift as much.

Ive seen posts of CEL codes thrown due to dirty fluid. Not an outright failure, but concerning to me nonetheless.
My fluid was very dark at 71k miles.

Granted I think the blue fluid probably darkens fairly quick, but then again some folks changed it at 40k and it was still blueish.

I agree. While color isnt necessarily an indicator of quality, my fluid came out a dark maroon color at 51k. It was enough to make me triple check the manual and bottles to ensure blue FZ was supposed to go back in lol. Dudes over at BITOG thought 50k was a good time to change and do 25k after that based on the UOA yrwei shared (but Ill stick with 50k overall). I remember one of them mentioning the Blackstone analysis doesnt include particle count and that would likely floor us.

I agree. While color isnt necessarily an indicator of quality, my fluid came out a dark maroon color at 51k. It was enough to make me triple check the manual and bottles to ensure blue FZ was supposed to go back in lol. Dudes over at BITOG thought 50k was a good time to change and do 25k after that based on the UOA yrwei shared (but Ill stick with 50k overall). I remember one of them mentioning the Blackstone analysis doesnt include particle count and that would likely floor us.
Yeah makes sense. Since I did 3 drain and fills at 71k since I had not done any previous service before that, I'm thinking I'll do 1 drain and fill every 30-40k from now on.

3x for me again at 100k if it looks like it did at 50k ; )

The trans fluid has not been touched. The car gets almost all highway mileage. Who knows how long it will last. 🤔

Auto. No fluid change. Atleast 90% of it is highway mileage since I bought it.(had 40,888 miles at the time)

At what mileage is the auto trans fluid supposed to be changed? And by change, is it just a drain and fill or an actual flush?

Majority of the people go for drain and refill. Easy and quick. This does not take all fluid out as far as I remember but its as best as you can get.
Technically speaking you can do 2nd drain shortly after..say in 500 miles but it costs a bit more that way.

By Mazda guides it is not to be changed.
Common mileage seems roughly 50k miles seeing from the other forum threads. Some do earlier, some later, some never.

At what mileage is the auto trans fluid supposed to be changed? And by change, is it just a drain and fill or an actual flush?
Mazda says don't change it.

I beg to differ. Most drain and fill as you can't flush without adapters/modding parts on. Some dealers claim to do so, but I am a bit wary of that claim.

Anyway, it's anyone's guess. Some follow Mazda and don't ever change it, others like me say fluid wears ;)

According to Mazda, never. According to people on this forum, whatever they do is best. According to historical data, no SkyActiv automatic transmissions have had failures due to failed fluid, and we now can see examples with over 200K miles on them.

I look at fluid the way I look at a barrel on my rifle.

Does my barrel wear? Yes.
Does the wear on my barrel affect accuracy and function? Technically yes.
Do I change the barrel on my rifle after 5 or 10K rounds? No. I have also never had it fail to put a bullet where I asked it to.

Could you bore-scope my rifle and show me gas port wear and so forth that is meaningful in appearance and measurement? yes.

Gun still shoots though...

That's kindof how I view this fluid business. Yes the fluid wears. Yes you can show it "with math". Yes, the transmission still functions just fine.

Last edited:
Back