Highest Mileage Skyactiv Engine?

PVQ

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD w Premium, Soul Red Crystal
In my ongoing effort to learn all I can about my new 2017 CX-5, I've been reading about Skyactiv engineering. There seem to be some early threads indicating Skyactiv engines may have some carbon buildup issues on the backside of the valves...and other threads more recent threads that suggest Mazda has mitigated those problems. Since the engine has only been in service since 2012, the jury is still out on long term reliability. I thought it would be appropriate to begin a thread on high mileage Skyacvtiv engines. Someone, somewhere must have hit 200,000 miles by now. So who here has the highest mileage Skyactive, and what if any long term durability/reliability/longevity concerns have you uncovered?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Mazda's use of the 'Miller' cycle is supposed to burn the carbon off of the valves. FYI.

Mazda's use of the 'Miller' cycle is supposed to burn the carbon off of the valves. FYI.

Yes...I’ve read that. By all accounts it appears to be a marvelous engine. I was just curious as to whether there was any anecdotal evidence to corroborate that. I always enjoyed reading those stories about an old VW that had 500,000 miles and so forth. Hard to believe no one’s hit 200,000 miles yet....but perhaps not....

Yes...I’ve read that. By all accounts it appears to be a marvelous engine. I was just curious as to whether there was any anecdotal evidence to corroborate that. I always enjoyed reading those stories about an old VW that had 500,000 miles and so forth. Hard to believe no one’s hit 200,000 miles yet....but perhaps not....

I think we've seen someone here with ~160k, but its hard to know the condition without tearing into the engine.

58k miles. Transmission acts funny sometimes but always has. Nothing serious, just being a typical slushbox, but really, it's not a bad slushbox at all.

Maybe another model but best bet would be a '12 Mazda 3 somewhere in North America. IIRC... that was first model but not quite the same as '14+ models as 4-2-1 exhaust is different or absent?

I was at Mazda for a bit and we had a 2013 CX-5 as a shuttle vehicle. When I left a few years ago it had 190,000kms on it. Now it has 280,000. I always ask about it when I'm in for service. They say they've only done routine maintenance, tire replacements, brakes, and they had to replace the shocks all around a few weeks ago. Other than that, everything is as it was when it left the factory. I rode in it a few months ago on one of my more recent services and it seemed to drive as well as my 2014 with 75k.

buyingconstant7:That's a good mileage/reliability number to hear on something that is certainly not an all HWY mile vehicle

I was at Mazda for a bit and we had a 2013 CX-5 as a shuttle vehicle. When I left a few years ago it had 190,000kms on it. Now it has 280,000. I always ask about it when I'm in for service. They say they've only done routine maintenance, tire replacements, brakes, and they had to replace the shocks all around a few weeks ago. Other than that, everything is as it was when it left the factory. I rode in it a few months ago on one of my more recent services and it seemed to drive as well as my 2014 with 75k.

So, how about transmission fluid changes? I am in the camp of "Oh hell no!" I'm guessing they are, too, but am curious to hear!

280k kms on the 1st gen 2.0 engine. Yep that takes the cake. Pretty sure they changed the tranny fluid though. If not then hey.....just shows how well made that tranny is. Unlikely though. All the Mazda techs and the parts guys in my dealership change their personal (skyactiv) car tranny fluids.

280k kms on the 1st gen 2.0 engine. Yep that takes the cake. Pretty sure they changed the tranny fluid though. If not then hey.....just shows how well made that tranny is. Unlikely though. All the Mazda techs and the parts guys in my dealership change their personal (skyactiv) car tranny fluids.

My dealership never has, according to the parts guy who would process the fluid sale, who has been there for at least 2 years, now, by my observation.

I'm at 75,000 miles on my 2014. Nothing but routine oil changes and the spark plug change I just did per the interval in the manual. My blackstone reports have been coming back perfect.

My dealership never has, according to the parts guy who would process the fluid sale, who has been there for at least 2 years, now, by my observation.

All depends on the dealer's outlook...well more of its techs and parts department really. Consider my dealership actively sells FZ ATF fluid, ATF filters, and washers for Skyactiv engines via Amazon and Ebay. I had to wait a bit on the FZ ATF fluid because they sold their remaining stock online. Oh and fluid change is on their service menu displayed on the wall. They don't actively promote it but they will support your needs.

All depends on the dealer's outlook...well more of its techs and parts department really. Consider my dealership actively sells FZ ATF fluid, ATF filters, and washers for Skyactiv engines via Amazon and Ebay. I had to wait a bit on the FZ ATF fluid because they sold their remaining stock online. Oh and fluid change is on their service menu displayed on the wall. They don't actively promote it but they will support your needs.

Of course, they make money off of it.

Have a 2014 Mazda 3 I bought new with 163K miles on it, as I commute 70 miles / day to work. Oil changes every 7,500 miles, trans service at 120K, and getting a coolant flush in two weeks. Have never had a warning light come on so far. Dealer says ball joints, serpentine belt, etc all in great shape. On 3rd set of tires. Love the car.

Have a 2014 Mazda 3 I bought new with 163K miles on it, as I commute 70 miles / day to work. Oil changes every 7,500 miles, trans service at 120K, and getting a coolant flush in two weeks. Have never had a warning light come on so far. Dealer says ball joints, serpentine belt, etc all in great shape. On 3rd set of tires. Love the car.

What did the transmission service entail?

that's awesome!

My 2015 has 125,000 miles (200,000km). Ive changed brakes, tires and a battery. The car has been flawless and is still tight.

Back