2014 Soundproofing/Speaker Install Project

RichardCX5

:
2014 CX5 Sport Nav (GT) MT 2.2D 150ps
Generally I'm very happy with my CX-5 but one area I've wanted to improve is the road noise so thought I'd post a quick thread about my project of fitting soundproofing (and some new speakers too)
So far I've done the doors and I plan to do the entire floor and boot/trunk area next. I might also soundproof the roof but the priority is the floor.

Reading up beforehand it seems that the best soundproofing is made up of three layers - a layer of aluminium-backed butyl (e.g. Dynamat, Silent Coat etc) on the panel metal itself to reduce vibration and resonance, and on top of that a layer of closed-cell foam and then mass-loaded vinyl, both to absorb/reflect noise.
Here's a picture of the Silent Coat in one of the front doors (I didn't take a picture of the foam/vinyl layer but will do later)

2103efdd800bc01eaf95e55e15171050.jpg

What surprises me is that in the doors at least, there is *no* sound insulation at all! There's basically the outer and inner metal skins, a plastic weather panel and the inner plastic door card - it's no wonder the CX-5 is noisy at speed!

I have the Bose system in my CX-5 and the improvement in sound quality from the front woofers is huge! The bass is much richer and stronger than before (I guess because the door panel is stronger with the Silent Coat so doesn't flex as much)
Also, thanks to all the extra weight in the doors and the soundproofing when I open and close the doors it sounds as if I've fitted Mercedes doors to my Mazda!

So I've also changed most of the small speakers in the car so far as well (Kicker 3.5" in the outer dash and JBL in the rear pillars)

ee82cb5245a513b1ebf6eeac75d117cf.jpg

I've had these shipped over from the States, ok also waiting on a pair of rear door speaker adapters and then I'll be fitting these. They're awesome in the vocal range and should fill out the bass- and treble-heavy system that I've got at the moment. I'll report back when I've got them fitted and also when I do some more soundproofing!

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions I'd love to hear them too.

Do you mind taking a more detailed picture of the front doors? I am looking to do the same to my CX-5 with Bose.

Do you mind taking a more detailed picture of the front doors? I am looking to do the same to my CX-5 with Bose.

I didn't take any more than that but I will be taking the rear door cards off again to fit the new speakers (when the speaker adapters arrive)

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Mazda-CX-5-Interior-Door-Panel-Removal-Guide/
I used this page as a guide when taking the cards off and it does have a picture of the inner door skin. Here's a few Google'd pictures of what you're aiming for:

27856d1362931111-soundproofing-2008-door.jpg

This is the inner door skin with soundproofing (in my case Silent Coat) applied strategically to add mass and reduce flex in the sheet metal

CIMG2859.jpg

This is the inner door skin with a layer of closed-cell foam, then a layer of mass-loaded vinyl on top

I should do this myself.

Go for it! The best tip I read online before attempting this is to buy the clips that hold the door card to the skin as you WILL break some taking the card off!
UK Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222163361707?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I used just regular Damplifier on the inner and outer skins of all 4 doors and from under the front seats back to the trunk and the hatch. I aimed to cover about 40% of the metal as I found out during testing that adding more than that didn't return much benefit but just added more weight. Just doing this reduced the interior sound pressure levels by an average of 3 db using a Radio Shack sound meter before and after at 70 mph on the highway, same road, same conditions, same temperature. I too gained considerable bass response from my component 6.5 woofers in the front doors. Most of the reduction in noise was in the under 500 Hz frequency range. My next biggest reduction in noise came from purchasing quiet tires.

I aimed to cover about 40% of the metal as I found out during testing that adding more than that didn't return much benefit but just added more weight.

I'd read about the diminishing returns too, but as I'd bought 4 square metres of Silent Coat I thought I may as well use a lot - having now done the boot/trunk I should have been more sparing as I've run out now!

7e59821f1328d102befb44670e40783c.jpg

Silent Coat applied to most flat surfaces and the entirety of the spare wheel well

468caa41573da9a6d986145a37aaf6bd.jpg

Closed-cell foam with Mass-loaded vinyl convering as much area as possible whilst still fitting under trim panels

The difference here is less noticeable than soundproofing the doors but I can still hear a difference, less road road coming from the back.
At moderate speeds the loudest source of noise is now the engine (particularly the turbo!)

Last edited:
Back