Adding 08+ Console to an 06 Mazda 5

Yamasaki

:
2009 Mazdaspeed 3, 2007 Kawasaki ZZR600
Hello all.

Been a few years since I was on the forum but Im just about to pick up a 2006 Mazda 5 for the family. We have a total of 4 kids.

My fiance had an 06 Mazda 5 several years ago and she told me it was always a bit hard to get cold air to the back to cool off the kids. I know Mazda resolved this in 2008 by adding the rear vent to the second row.

Is there any way to retrofit a 2006 or 2007 Mazda 5 to add the console from the 2008+ models to add the rear vents. I'm sure some ducting would need to be added also but is it possible?

I have searched with zero results.

Thanks

Look around for 2008+ instead of 2006, the effort and expense might not worth the savings.

I own a 2007 and in lieu of being able to retrofit the 08 console into an 06 or 07... I've found by putting the climate control on full face and closing the leftmost and rightmost vents and there-by forcing all the air out of the middle vents, it actually does a pretty good job of getting to the farthest reaches of the back.

Other things you should do to make sure your system is working well... get the A/C system recharged (it's pretty cheap or is a pretty easy DIY - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHg2xRMnM38). Replace your cabin filter regularly. And if you don't have it already, get your windows tinted.

I hate to tell you, but you don't want an 06 unless you can verify all those TSBs from the first 4 years were done. Lots of growing pains. Going up 2 years should only net you a grand or two. Financed, its a drop in the bucket. Versus buying an entire dash and console from a newer vehicle just so that you can get all the climate control internals under the dash and console to make the system work, plus time, effort, $$ lost from R&D mistakes, etc.
But if you really are in the Bay, what the heck do you need to get AC to the back, what's wrong with open windows? Or is it so bad there that the homeless pee into open car windows when they can't find an alley?

Back