SD card for navi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pototoy

:
2016 CX-5 GT with tech
Hello my fellow owner.

I'm willing pay someone (paypal) to copy their SD card's navi content?

***shoot me an email.. We can discuss. I have verified paypal account and ready to send $$.

Thanks

PS: willing to pay *right* amount, not outrageous :D

PPS: will only work if its brand new car. SO, if anyone can copy their card before driving more than 100miles....

Why would it matter the mileage?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Because the SD card will be VIN locked to the current vehicle. And besides, I'm not even sure if this is even borderline piracy...

Last edited:
Oh it's definitely piracy. 😋
As a pretty techy guy I have a hard time believing the car writes data to the card to "vin lock it". It's either locked in the beginning, or it's not.
I've been wanting to try this for a friend that bought a 6 Touring. Any idea what size the card needs to be?

hey 7, I'm from Cleveland too.

The SD card is the regular size. I just got my CX9 touring

Why would it matter the mileage?

I don't really know anything about new system... but there was some talk in years past with the Tom Tom system that this is the case. Still haven't found anything definitive in the 6,800 page FSM whether it is strictly VIN or some mileage routine is involved.

Good reason to backup card though as I see this in FSM... at least on '13-'15 models

"If the car-navigation unit is replaced with a new one, the information set by the customer is erased because the SD card is also replaced simultaneously. If the same service as before replacing the car-navigation unit is used, the SD card update procedure is required.
If the car-navigation unit is replaced with a new one, explain to the customer and gain their understanding that there is a charge for updating the SD card because payment for downloading paid content is required."

hey 7, I'm from Cleveland too.

The SD card is the regular size. I just got my CX9 touring
Sweet! Hello fellow CLEvelander! 🎆 Do you have the HUD? Maybe we can meet for a beer sometime and you can show it to me? Lol. East or West?

I mean size in GB's, not physical size. LOL I do have one.

Oh it's definitely piracy. ��
As a pretty techy guy I have a hard time believing the car writes data to the card to "vin lock it". It's either locked in the beginning, or it's not.
I've been wanting to try this for a friend that bought a 6 Touring. Any idea what size the card needs to be?

No; it locks after a certain number of miles. I think it's around 62. It's a typical SD card reader/writer so this is well within its parameters. There also is some kind of baked in protection where it knows if it's a factory original or an allowed backup. The S in SD is "secure" - ie, there's a DRM scheme that is non-trivial to avoid.

Last edited:
Here's why I think this won't work - someone correct me if I'm wrong:

- SD card has DRM so a normal copy won't work (requires special hardware and a crypto key)

- After magic mile number, an original SD card has the VIN written in so it can't be moved to another car.

- Mazda toolbox allows user to create a backup - but this writes in the VIN of the last vehicle driven in, even if its under the magic mile number and marks the card as a backup. So this backup card won't work in a different vehicle.

One hope could be trying to use a hacked navigation that can run the backup in a different car - unless that check is buried somewhere in hardware.

Last edited:
Still not convinced the dumb car writes anything to the SD card. Why would they do that? What logical reason? Why would you not just lock it at the beginning? You would. They are 8GB SD Cards. Cheap.
I did just browse the contents of the card. There is a license folder with some files dated February 2017. After thinking about that for a second that was when I updated my maps. If the VIN is hard coded 62 miles after it's started I should have some files or a file dated a a few days after I bought. I do not.

Still not convinced the dumb car writes anything to the SD card. Why would they do that? What logical reason? Why would you not just lock it at the beginning? You would. They are 8GB SD Cards. Cheap.
I did just browse the contents of the card. There is a license folder with some files dated February 2017. After thinking about that for a second that was when I updated my maps. If the VIN is hard coded 62 miles after it's started I should have some files or a file dated a a few days after I bought. I do not.

It's well documented. Try putting it in another car; it won't work. The 62 miles has something to do with dealers being able to demonstrate the navigation or something.

Also it has nothing to do with the cost of the card and all to do with the cost of the data on the card. It's licensed from a provider who wants a hefty fee for each user. Hence the DRM.

Oh, and finally, the DRM sections of the card aren't readable by standard software/hardware. You need the dedicated microcontroller and crypto key scheme.

Last edited:
I know it doesn't work in another car. The reason I mentioned how CHEAP it is is the dealer can just throw out the card if they need a new one.

Well documented, on forums. Nothing official that I've seen.
Now demo mode... that might make sense IF the limit wasn't 62. 62 miles could be like 5 or 6 test drives.
A friend just ordered a Navi card from the Ebay seller everyone recommends. I'll see if I can copy it before this 60 mile limit (if I can get to it by then).

I know it doesn't work in another car. The reason I mentioned how CHEAP it is is the dealer can just throw out the card if they need a new one.

Now demo mode... that might make sense IF the limit wasn't 62. 62 miles could be like 5 or 6 test drives.
A friend just ordered a Navi card from the Ebay seller everyone recommends. I'll see if I can copy it before this 60 mile limit (if I can get to it by then).

What ebay seller? Can I have the name too?

I txted my sales rep, he said it's a $400 sd carz navi!! Damn!

I've seen discussions about cloning the NAV SD on Mazda3, Mazda6, and Reddit forums, nobody has claimed succeeded (only a few were technical-savvy enough to know what to do), and then if someone made it to work, they probably won't share for legal reason. I don't think it's impossible, you can totally clone a brand-new (not-locked) card into an exact copy. Even the SD hidden metadata such as serial number can be modified with the right tool.

I use Google Map most of the time so I'm not interested. I'm happy with the Enhanced Compass app:
https://github.com/flyandi/mazda-enhanced-compass/

I've seen discussions about cloning the NAV SD on Mazda3, Mazda6, and Reddit forums, nobody has claimed succeeded (only a few were technical-savvy enough to know what to do), and then if someone made it to work, they probably won't share for legal reason. I don't think it's impossible, you can totally clone a brand-new (not-locked) card into an exact copy. Even the SD hidden metadata such as serial number can be modified with the right tool.

I use Google Map most of the time so I'm not interested. I'm happy with the Enhanced Compass app:
https://github.com/flyandi/mazda-enhanced-compass/

I'm skeptical that you can clone - and then use in a non-hacked unit - a DRM-secured card without the appropriate hardware and crypto keys. This would be a cottage industry by now if it was the case. It doesn't work like the old DVD hack.

Keep in mind that the SD card has its own microcontroller that manages the DRM so those relevant bits won't even appear to exist in a non-crypto exchange. You could clone the public storage, but the unit will see the important bits are missing or wrong.

Last edited:

The dealer doesn't want to throw the card out... it costs them quite a bit also. It's not an "$8 part" because Mazda has to pay the map data license holder for each card manufactured. That's the majority of the cost.

I've seen claims of cards as low as $250 with most being $300-400. Assuming the $250 is very little profit margin, that means the card probably cost the supplier not much less than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back