2017 CX-9 Rear View Camera Problem

Vancouver_MTB

:
2017 CX-9 GS-L
Weird thing happened to me yesterday - my rear view camera seemed to disable itself. Usually when you put the vehicle in reverse the rear view camera automatically turns on but it stopped doing that (and the display screen would just stay on whatever page it was on initially - audio for example). I tried turning the car on and off a few times and it didn't fix it. Called the dealership but they were closed at the time, and also looking in the owners manual and there was nothing about turning the camera on or off. However, this morning it went back to working again. Has this happened to anyone else?

One thing that I did do differently than usual right before it stopped working - I put the car in reverse but then applied the E-brake (leaving the car in reverse)... not sure if that's what disabled the camera.

Weird thing happened to me yesterday - my rear view camera seemed to disable itself. Usually when you put the vehicle in reverse the rear view camera automatically turns on but it stopped doing that (and the display screen would just stay on whatever page it was on initially - audio for example). I tried turning the car on and off a few times and it didn't fix it. Called the dealership but they were closed at the time, and also looking in the owners manual and there was nothing about turning the camera on or off. However, this morning it went back to working again. Has this happened to anyone else?

One thing that I did do differently than usual right before it stopped working - I put the car in reverse but then applied the E-brake (leaving the car in reverse)... not sure if that's what disabled the camera.

This has happened to me a couple of times. I brought it in to the dealer and no problems were found. It hasn't happened recently though.

i'm having ongoing problems with my reverse camera. It's intermittent, but happening often enough to annoy - and to be a safety issue given how hard it is to see out the back of one of these at night in the rain with factory tinted glass. I've also had problems with the screen glitching (looks like static on screen, like an old tv with no signal) and had the computer unit replaced completely. Had a few random reboot issues too while driving.

Keep you phone camera handy and video the issue if at all possible. Sounds like a loose connection.

i'm having ongoing problems with my reverse camera. It's intermittent, but happening often enough to annoy - and to be a safety issue given how hard it is to see out the back of one of these at night in the rain with factory tinted glass. I've also had problems with the screen glitching (looks like static on screen, like an old tv with no signal) and had the computer unit replaced completely. Had a few random reboot issues too while driving.

There was a number of people whom had freezing, they had teh computer audio unit replaced, but problems still remained.

End result was Mazda swapping the screen over and that appears to have solved the issues

The more I use the infotainment system, the more I appreciate the design, however, it is a bit janky.

I find the best results are when I let it "fully boot up", which takes a while, before pressing any buttons, etc. Kinda stupid but I think it gets overloaded sometimes.

Okay, I am now of a victim of the backup camera not working; it just shows the car icon when put in reverse. The distance sensors still work and beep.

Any fix to this? It occurred out of no where. Can a user disable the backup camera via some setting?

A trip to the dealer means a loss of a day's work...

UPDATE: After about an hour I tried again and worked okay. My first thought is something is overheating rather than a connection issue...weird.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why but my wife's '16 CX-9 is much, much slower to boot than my '16 6 is. The rear view camera on my 6 turns on the instant the car is out into reverse, even immediately after starting the car. The CX-9 is more laggy, it sometimes takes a few seconds for the camera to turn on and has even a few times failed to turn on. However, once it's fully 'booted' it seems to work fine with no lag.

I'm not sure why but my wife's '16 CX-9 is much, much slower to boot than my '16 6 is. The rear view camera on my 6 turns on the instant the car is out into reverse, even immediately after starting the car. The CX-9 is more laggy, it sometimes takes a few seconds for the camera to turn on and has even a few times failed to turn on. However, once it's fully 'booted' it seems to work fine with no lag.

Thanks...yes, the cx-9 boot is slow. it's almost like they do that to make you wait the 10 seconds they recommend before driving...

I don't get the differences among Mazda models. Should be the exact same processor specs between the CX-9 and 6. Everything should be the same so why slower and more problems in the CX-9?

What should be and what is are often different. Although these cars use the same base systems, there are variations.

I think the constant re-syncing and updating of contacts tends to slow it down, but that's my feeling with no real data to back it up. (I have 500+ contacts)

Having the same issue. Usually the camera won't come on at all, just the Mazda logo. Last night it came on, turned off then came back on.

Like others, I don't understand the difference between their cars. My 2016 Mazda6 has never had an issue with the infotainment system other than very rare crashes. My CX-9 is a hot mess and since my wife drives it, I rarely hear of any issues. Just when I'm in it does it get noticed.

I just called my service manager and she swears others are not having the same issue, but if you google it, many are. I just got done having them replace both front strut assemblies because they were banging so bad my neighbors could hear them. Mazda finally copped to that being a car wide problem.

Just bought a Mazda CX9 GT AWD last Sunday and just this day the back up camera just went off.

I was a victim of this also. With the SW ending in .449.

Since upgrading to .502 it has not reoccured.

Okay, I am now of a victim of the backup camera not working; it just shows the car icon when put in reverse. The distance sensors still work and beep.

Any fix to this? It occurred out of no where. Can a user disable the backup camera via some setting?

A trip to the dealer means a loss of a day's work...

UPDATE: After about an hour I tried again and worked okay. My first thought is something is overheating rather than a connection issue...weird.

Put my car in reverse today and same thing happened to me as stated above. The car icon came up but no camera???

Get a firmware update.... Solves 95% of this issue.

I was thinking the same thing.
No-one with this problem has mentioned what firmware level they are running.
Would be interesting to know what level they are at.

Put my car in reverse today and same thing happened to me as stated above. The car icon came up but no camera???

Instead of turning vehicle on/off to perform a reboot of the infotainment unit, you can simply press the 3 buttons at same time: back+nav+mute...this way it'll perform a reboot without turning vehicle on/off. I've done this a few times and seemed to work every time the back up camera or screen freezes on me (only rarely though)

.540 is current

.502 was the version before that addresses this issue and the freezing / resetting

Back